The Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
You know the Olympics used to be that you competed for and represented your country. With dual citizenships and with easing of qualifying regulations athletes can, in general, pretty much qualify to represent under any flag they wish to.

Let me elaborate. There's one athlete, born and raised in the USA, (American father/ Japanese mother) in the current winter games that renounced his US citizenship when he turned 21 so he can continue skating for Japan. Japan is one of among many countries that does not allow dual citizenship when you become an adult.

Let me elaborate. There's one athlete, born and raised in the USA, (American father/ Japanese mother) in the current winter games that renounced his US citizenship when he turned 21 so he can continue skating for Japan. Japan is one of among many countries that does not allow dual citizenship when you become an adult.

The facts are clear. Do you support these actions or do you oppose them? What do you think the rules should be?

The facts are clear. Do you support these actions or do you oppose them? What do you think the rules should be?

Only the extreme cases where foreign athletes were scouted and granted citizenships simply for the fact that the sponsoring nation didn't have any of it's own citizens good enough for the sport, I oppose.

Only the extreme cases where foreign athletes were scouted and granted citizenships simply for the fact that the sponsoring nation didn't have any of it's own citizens good enough for the sport, I oppose.

It's opportunism on a very public stage. An athlete isn't good enough to make the Olympic team in the USA, for example, so he claims a connection to another country through his ethnic background and performs for that country so he can go to the Olympics.

I find the athletes to be extraordinarily competent and great entertainment, to the fans of each event, no matter their country/ethnicity of origin..

We have watched, often in awe, every athlete, every venue possible..

The Olympics are amazing and wonderfully entertaining this go around..

We enjoy all offerings, especially those of the younger men and women who have dedicated their lives to their sport.. :)

Ross

Last edited:
It's opportunism on a very public stage. An athlete isn't good enough to make the Olympic team in the USA, for example, so he claims a connection to another country through his ethnic background and performs for that country so he can go to the Olympics.
But in some cases there is no ethnic connection.....

Not only the rules make no sense anymore, but the way the network covers the Olympics make even less sense. "oh how do yo feel being first openly gay figure skating?" Huh? Who cares. I don't make announcements who I am sleeping with and have zero interest in knowing who those athletes are sleeping with. i am watching games for games, not for gossips.

Well, the story of Chloe Kim the gold medal snowboarder born and raised in southern California sure warms my heart. The 17 yr old with Korean parents who came here in the '80's long before she was born call her their "American Dream". What a joy to see the look on her parents faces as she wore the American flag.
Now that's a fabulous story!!

Last edited:
Well, the story of Chloe Kim the gold medal snowboarder born and raised in southern California sure warms my heart. The 17 yr old with Korean parents who came here in the '80's long before she was born call her their "American Dream". What a joy to see the look on her parents faces as she wore the American flag.
Now that's a fabulous story!!

But she is performing for her country

Have you ever tried it, Cas. It ain't easy.

I've managed a single flip without crashing. I can't believe what these guys can do.

I still ski on old, heavy 205cm skis that little kuds make fun of on the lift lines, but they ain't laughing when I let them run and beat them downhill for a beer in the lodge.

Then I go take aspirin, oxygen, and more beer and revel in my pride, lol.

Actually, I once went off a 30 foot cliff on Mt Hood unintentionally while following some snowboarders in fog.
It was a yard sale of my goggles, poles, skis, gloves,... But I lived.

What these kids do today is incredible.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried it, Cas. It ain't easy.

Going down a high steep ramp and sailing out using your skiis to get more air lift? Umm, no. I suppose it's not easy. You either land correctly or end up with multiple broken bones. I still try and watch that. I think they're saving that until the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom