"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

It is a hit or miss thing for me. Most of the time I get everything timed just right. But there are a few times I am wayyyyyy off base. I don't try to time everything out, I just go with my instincts.

Usually if I am grilling something and have something in the oven, I always manage to time the grilling so that as the grilled item has finished cooking... the timer for the oven is going off as I walk in the door. Hubby is so awe struck by this!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I love the suggestions here.
Thank you all so much.
The ideas will help me out a lot.
I have so much in the freezer[s] and fridge[s] and kitchen store that if I put down for a weeks worth of meals, dinners anyway, that'd help a lot.
No Alix, I can't say that's a problem the oven space I mean.
I have a built in double oven so that's no excuse for me. I could have done it all, I think mostly I took a very bad habit from the most wonderful person on earth and stole it and it's not one that is suited to any woman that has multiple bakeware/cookware etc. I use it for storage, which I have plenty of too. I think it's ebay soon for me, anyone need upteen pieces of anything?
Also, a lot of my day was spent with the baby's enjoying the rain and playing with them. Dinner sort of snuck up on me, is that a word? I may get scolded if it isn't. (My bad)
Pork roast tenderloin wrapped in bacon with spices and herbs and baked.
Sweet potatoes whipped with butter salt pepper brown sugar and mallows on top. Whole head cauliflower steamed whole with 5 cheeses on top, melted. All day long cooked baked beans with bacon, done of stove after soaking a hundred years. Apple sauce, NYT bread with parm cheese, house spice seasoning, the one I've posted, and flax seeds. Nanna's cole slaw done in advance ceptin for dressing that I added last. Ice cream and brownies. That was the final menu.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

In the cooler months, I warm the dinner plates in the oven on it's lowest setting so I don't put warm food on a cold plate. Or heat the oven until it's warm inside and turn it off, then put the plates in there until the food is done.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I never manage to get everything done at the same time.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Not every single thing has to be piping hot. While your roast is resting you could re-heat, if necessary, your veggies. Microwaves work for most things. Your bread can be re-heated in some foil or even popped into a toaster.

It can be tough at times, I know. There's nothing wrong with roast pork at room temp though, bread that is not piping hot fresh out of the oven, and casseroles/mashed potatoes, etc., are pretty good about retaining heat. A quick nuke should take care of it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Ya know what Lefse, If you were to ask them, You'd be surprised at what you hear...Mine would say we were together, we had fun, things tasted good hot or cold..We know all this was done cuz ya love us..Who the heck cares if it's piping hot..We got each other.
kadesma
Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Dont Worry Lef,

I fel your pain. I had no timing what so ever before schooling. And I think I learned the most important things with timing there.

Here is my game plan for dinner and goes for almost all professional kitchens.

PREP!!! Do as much prep as early as you can so its ready to go when you need it. Cut your string beans, mince your garlic etc.....

Start on the longest thing first.
Know the things that can be made early and sit. Ill admit I "hold" my mashed potatos until the rest of the meal is ready. I usually make then and then put in aa bit more of milk and let it sit on low and making sure i stir occasionally to vent burning. before serving ill turn up the heat and add a bit more milk and butter if its drying out.

sicne you got the double oven you can cook your meal and if something isnt ready yet hold it in the warm oven at its lowest setting.

veggies are almost always last. liek someone else said it takes seconds to steam or waht ever. the wife loves string beans so i blanch and shock them so when its 5 minutes to show time bam they are ready to go.

jsut keep at it and make mental notes. maybe try making this meal once a week until you get its timing.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #18
Everymom

Um...playing with the babies always takes precedence to ANY meal. You should just have called for take out! LOLOLOL!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I love a good giggle.
I just got it from a few of these new posts I'm just reading.
You guys are soooooooooooooooooo right on.
Thank you all, like I couldn't think of heating plates, what 'is' wrong with my mind. Oh wait, it's holding Landon............
By the way, I'll try harder this weekend when I do it all over again.
I promise to try harder, oh, the princesses wanted to help me clean up.
I had to say no cause it's all glass or knives or Le Creuset which is HEAVY