The Other Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
As so many people are afraid of chemical names, I thought i'd start this thread to allay some of those fears. Here are a couple of chemicals found as natural compounds that are so very healthy in the foods they come from:

From this site - Flavonoids and Isoflavonoids: From Plant Biology to Agriculture and Neuroscience - we get these chemical compounds that are found naturally in everything from pansies and roses to blueberries and carrots - Flavonoids represent one of the largest and most studied classes of phenylpropanoid-derived plant specialized metabolites, with an estimated 10,000 different members. Structurally, they consist of two main groups, the 2-phenylchromans (the flavonoids, including flavanones, flavones, flavonols, flavan-3-ols, and anthocyanidins) and the 3-phenylchromans (the isoflavonoids, including isoflavones, isoflavans, and pterocarpans;

Other important nutriens carry such names as;
Beta-carotene; Retinol - Vitamin A
Niacin; Nicotinic acid; Niacinamide - Vitamin B3
Cyanocobalamin; Methylcobalamin - Vitamin B12
ergocalciferol, cholecalciferol - D vitamins

Organic acids required as micronutrients for proper body function -

Trace minerals required as micronutrients for proper body function -

required as micronutrients for proper body function -

So, as you can see, not everything with a difficult pronunciation is bad for you. We are often afraid of what we don't understand. Add to that the idea that industry can and has added things that aren't good for us to foods, using chemical names to mask what is added, as we would otherwise object to the substances.

The color additive - carmine, which is obtained from certain insects. It is added to many things, such as make up (rouge), and even yogurt. Talk about bugs in your food.:ohmy:

Ok, your turn.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for this, Chief :) I think it's a great idea to have a science-based discussion about this. Too many people are frightened and influenced by non-scientific sources that the truth - that the entire physical world is made up of chemicals and the human body is an amazing chemical factory - is forgotten.

hey, i know carmine. he lives down the block next to johnny 2 coffees and frankie scars.

i don't know about all of those names, but i do know that i should only be interested in things that concern me. not the other way around, capeesh?

As so many people are afraid of chemical names, I thought i'd start this thread to allay some of those fears. Here are a couple of chemicals found as natural compounds that are so very healthy in the foods they come from:

From this site - Flavonoids and Isoflavonoids: From Plant Biology to Agriculture and Neuroscience - we get these chemical compounds that are found naturally in everything from pansies and roses to blueberries and carrots - Flavonoids represent one of the largest and most studied classes of phenylpropanoid-derived plant specialized metabolites, with an estimated 10,000 different members. Structurally, they consist of two main groups, the 2-phenylchromans (the flavonoids, including flavanones, flavones, flavonols, flavan-3-ols, and anthocyanidins) and the 3-phenylchromans (the isoflavonoids, including isoflavones, isoflavans, and pterocarpans;

Other important nutriens carry such names as;
Beta-carotene; Retinol - Vitamin A
Niacin; Nicotinic acid; Niacinamide - Vitamin B3
Cyanocobalamin; Methylcobalamin - Vitamin B12
ergocalciferol, cholecalciferol - D vitamins

Organic acids required as micronutrients for proper body function -

Trace minerals required as micronutrients for proper body function -

required as micronutrients for proper body function -

So, as you can see, not everything with a difficult pronunciation is bad for you. We are often afraid of what we don't understand. Add to that the idea that industry can and has added things that aren't good for us to foods, using chemical names to mask what is added, as we would otherwise object to the substances.

The color additive - carmine, which is obtained from certain insects. It is added to many things, such as make up (rouge), and even yogurt. Talk about bugs in your food.:ohmy:

Ok, your turn.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Carmine from insects can cause severe allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom