The Outhouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
Is anybody lucky enough to have one of these, fully fitted out with the vented thunder box, night pan and rear access flap, toilet roll holder and magazine rack. It would have been very trendy in it's day with the rolled roof.
2641665562_b7e02a23e8_m.jpg
That's the Soursop tree on the right :)

we are so lucky

we used this one for 2 1/2 years while we were building our house and were living in a 8'x35' house trailer. The trailer was not near the house and its septic system, so we never used the toilet in the trailer. This outhouse is quite posh. We were able to find a porcelain stool with wooden seat and lid that the Ohio Dept of Transportation used to use in road side rest areas. Dh installed two windows for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF0029.jpg
    DSCF0029.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 164
Our friends, who live on 180 acres north of here, built this one for their annual Barnstock celebration.

Attachments

• Barnstock 110.jpg
    Barnstock 110.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 168
No longer around but I do remember my grandmother's very well.........two holer and all was going well until a curious centipede emerged from one hole........I came running out of there like no tomorrow.............she had to accompany me after that experience and the door was kept open............most of the outhouses in the Bryan, College Station area of TX have ended up on top of the Texas Aggies's annual bonfire.......I know.......cause I'm the class of 76 and it was the typical topper.......

We don;t have one but we do have 1 1/2 "INhouses".
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm glad to hear it in case I drop in for a visit - after the kitchen is done, of course.

I loved the pics, ya'll. My grandmother had one while I was growing up but it wasn't nearly as posh as your friend's, Constance. Nor did it have any kind of view, Beth. But it sure had spiders! My grandma had to walk me to the outhouse at night because there was no way I was going in there with the spiders in the dark!

The best outhouse with the most refreshing and thrilling view I have ever seen and used is located at the Goshen Scout Reservation in Goshen Va. It sits near the top of a mountain over looking the Maury River. It is basically a box with a seat and lid and a 360 view of the world.

I've sat on many such loos while out tramping (hiking for you guys, I guess). Some have some spectacular views. Some have some spectacular smells!

At one hut (Kime Hut, on the Southern Crossing of the Tararua ranges, to be precise) the two outhouses have names - 'Jim's Been' and 'Southern Comfort'. They always tickled my fancy.

spent summers on my grandparents farm. out house stunk, had tons of bugs and dirt dobbers and the sears catalog. i hated it and we used a chamber pot at night. at least we kids did.

an old fashion thing that was replaced none to soon for me with indoor plumbing.

babe:wacko::wacko:

this sorta reminds me of the storm cellars as well----remember the Wizard of OZ? Have you ever stepped down into one of those underground graves?? My mother from PA took one look at my Grandmother's with all the spider webs headed back to the house and said that she'd take her chances there.........that's the way we were with the outdoor privies..........door had to be open no matter what.......ah, the memories.....and yes, we had a small porcelain nighttime pot but noone used it at all........

I was back then... LOL. I am still trying to figure out how I could sleep in a sleeping bag under the stars when we went camping in the Boy Scouts, these days I want a tent around me to keep everything else out!
And don't get me in the same yard as a snake, one of us aint gonna make it out alive!

Wow! expatgirl, a two holer, just a little bit to intimate for me. :LOL:

At home when we were growing up our outhouse was bordering on the chook run and us three boys had to wee in to the run to save space. Not only did we have chickens but ducks as well and the game was "shoot the duck". Of course when you approached the run, all the critters came running expecting a feed. One morning my middle brother was screaming blue murder, one of the ducks had obviously mistaken his willy for a worm, latched on to it and was pulling like crazy through the mesh and wouldn't let go, brother kept his distance after that.

That's too funny, Attie! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

My Grandma White had a two holer...one marked "pointers", and the other marked "setters". It was in the barn, where it was shady and cool, and kept very clean and well-limed.
When we went to visit, my mom always brought toilet paper for herself and me so we didn't have to use the Sears catalog. I also remember using the chamber pot at night.

My best friend lives in NC. Her mother-in-law & father-in-law lives in the VA mountains and has an househouse. About a couple of years ago one summer day, she went out to use it. There was a big, black snake on top of it. She screamed and ran out. Her husband & his dad killed the thing. From then on, she carries hoe to the outhouse. LOL She found a port-a-potty at a garage sale to use inside and said that she uses it during the night and during the winter.

Darlene

Wow! expatgirl, a two holer, just a little bit to intimate for me. :LOL:

At home when we were growing up our outhouse was bordering on the chook run and us three boys had to wee in to the run to save space. Not only did we have chickens but ducks as well and the game was "shoot the duck". Of course when you approached the run, all the critters came running expecting a feed. One morning my middle brother was screaming blue murder, one of the ducks had obviously mistaken his willy for a worm, latched on to it and was pulling like crazy through the mesh and wouldn't let go, brother kept his distance after that.

OW OW :LOL::ROFLMAO: OW OW :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom