"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

The Price of Magazines!

I went to Barnes and Noble yeaterday to buy some magazines for my vacation. I bought 8 magazines, 6 food mags and 2 car mags. I was a little surprised when the tab came to $37.35!

I guess I'm out of touch. I don't subscribe to any mags. I used to, but there is often so little that I actually care about in a magazine with all the rest being either ads or obscure travel stuff, it wasn't worth it to me.

I know magazines make their $$ from newstand sales. They get top dollar there. That income supports their reduced price subscriptions.

I'm not a cheapskate but get 'miffed' when I feel like I've been taken.

Oh, well. At least I'll have some reading to keep me busy on the plane and by the water's edge.

Thanks, I feel better now.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Andy, you're lucky you didn't buy them at the airport. The last ones I bought were about $4.00 higher than the newstands. Happy reading!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Head Chef

Yes, when I quite my job to be an expat wife the magazines were the first victim! I am indulging in a couple of Italian ones now, but I justify them as a language tool.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

This is why I always subscribe to magazines I really like. With an annual subscription my per copy price drops to next to nothing, while buying 2 o 3 magazines frequently costs the same as a full year's subscription.

Unless I'm "trying out" a new mag - I NEVER buy single copies.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Wow! That would've gotten my attention, too. It's been a very long time since I bought any magazines at a newsstand. I subscribe to many, but usually get them at the editor's rate because I use them as writing resources. I am amazed at the prices printed on them. Plus, after thumbing through them and determining how many pages are devoted, both front and back, to advertising, it makes them seem even more expensive.

I get one magazine for free and the printed per issue price on each one is $3.95, which seems a lot for a publication that rarely exceeds 60 pages...and has advertising.

One of the reasons I like magazines like Cook's Illustrated is that I get what I pay for and don't have to deal with any ads. Ads are one of my pet peeves. To say nothing of all the little post cards that fall out as a magazine is picked up. Ugh!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Head Chef

Get ads regularly for Gourmet or Food and Wine subscriptions for $12 for a year.

Got tired of them years ago and ignore the offers. But for a buck a mag I sometimes want to cave.

But have resisted so far.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I just bought four textbooks for school earlier this week and it came to $487. One was a $130 paperback...
Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

I sure agree with you. I was at Target the other day looking at magazines and I was going to buy one until I looked at the price. OUCH! The prices were from $5.99 to $9.99. Needless to say I put them back.
I can go to our library and take them home for free for 7 days.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Nowadays I consider magazines impulse purchases. Oh I don't get aggravated with myself if I buy an occassional mag that has a great pic or a leading line but I reallly try to control myself.

I used to subscribe to all mags that appealed to me but I really got sick of the ads and and articles that were put in and didn't pertain to the magazine at all. Geez, there'd be 30 pgs of relevant material and 120 pages of ads and travel into. I can find that when I'm going to visit the area.

The top 3 in my mind are Cooking Light, Gourmet and Bon Appetit.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Head Chef

I usually subscribe to magazines because the prices at book stores and especially airports are so much higher.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote