"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Master Chef

The Scarsdale Diet (Your view?)

I am considering going on The Scarsdale Medical Diet for a while. Has anyone followed this diet?

I only want to lose 6 lbs. I have pretty much been the same weight since High School but recently gained 6 lbs. I'm still slender but I want to be the same weight again. My jeans are just a bit too snug
Perhaps I'm full of BS but I know what weight feels right for me.
I know I've gained the weight because I haven't been eating as healthy as before.

I've got heart problems, High Cholesterol, hypothyroidism and IBS so I can't mess around with my health.
I bought the book at a second hand book sale and it seems healthy enough.
The only thing on the diet I can't eat is grapefruit. It interferes with my chronic medication. They say you can substitute with other fruit.

Also does anyone know what the best substitute for grapefruit will be?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't believe any diets work for the long term. There are no magic foods that make people lpse weight. What works is a lifestyle change. I suggest you have your thyroid level checked and see if any adjustment in medication is needed. The thyroid helps regulate weight.

Also, if you know you're not eating healthy, then you know what you need to do, right?

These are good sources of information about high-protein low-carb diets.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/to-carb-not-to-carb

http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...-diet-healthy/

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You said you haven't been eating as healthy as before. Just go back to eating a healthy diet and you should be OK.

In general, I believe you shouldn't change what you eat to lose weight. Just eat less.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't believe any diets work for the long term. There are no magic foods that make people lpse weight. What works is a lifestyle change. I suggest you have your thyroid level checked and see if any adjustment in medication is needed. The thyroid helps regulate weight.

Also, if you know you're not eating healthy, then you know what you need to do, right?

These are good sources of information about high-protein low-carb diets.

To Carb, or Not to Carb?

Is Scarsdale Diet Healthy? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Thank you for the reply GG I want to do this diet to get back on track, not for long term. It is more of a way of life than an actual diet. You only follow it for 2 weeks then you go onto the lifetime keep slim program by Dr. Tarnower. I only want to do the 2 week program and then go back to my healthy eating.
I do well with rules and I will lose the weight easier if I follow a program.
Just need to know if this has worked for anyone else and if it's a safe diet.

Going for my check up soon so my thyroid will be checked. Doubt that's the problem though. I know I ate junk!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You said you haven't been eating as healthy as before. Just go back to eating a healthy diet and you should be OK.

In general, I believe you shouldn't change what you eat to lose weight. Just eat less.
Thank you for having so much faith in me Andy!
I have gone way off track, eating all the wrong things and way to much of it. I've gained the 6 lbs over an 8 month period.
I will return to my normal eating but I need a kick up the a$$ first
Just hoping someone knew something about this diet before I try it. Just need to follow some sort of healthy program to get me back on track.
I have no willpower, I'm like a naughty school girl

Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The Livestrong link I posted above says that most medial professionals and associations don't consider the Scarsdale diet healthy because it eliminates some food groups and provides too few calories.

The most sensible diet I've seen is Dr. Gott's No Flour, No Sugar diet. Basically, you don't eat anything that has flour of any type or any added sugar. Here's more information:

Dr Gott's No Flour No Sugar Diet | LIVESTRONG.COM

No Flour, No Sugar Diet

The first link cautions that if you have heart problems, you should consult your doctor before starting this diet. I'd say that's a good idea for any diet. hth.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Snip--I can appreciate the need for rules. However, I am a firm believer in restricting the foods you know are bad for you--fried foods, sugar, junk food and eliminating those from your household. Yes, I know you have kids and want to give them treats, but those treats can still be healthy and good for you. My favorite poutine stand was open today when I drove by...I was drooling, I so wanted one of Tony's poutines. I drove on by. But I so wanted poutine.

I caught a segment on the news the other day about bribing kids to eat their veggies and then they can have the dessert. Studies are showing that this has a long-term negative affect--emotionally, people associate the "sweet" with good feelings, the veggie with negative. Measure your portions, plan your meals, don't grocery shop when you are hungry, stick to your list, and keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies on hand.

Six pounds is not a huge challenge to lose. You just need to get rid of the "crap" food in the house and go back to the healthy foods. And, as we age, our metabolism changes. What I could eat at 30, I dare not eat today 20+ years later. A malted milk every now and again, but not 3 times a week. Diets don't work because people don't change their eating habits over the long-term, just for the 21 days or 6 weeks while they are on the diet. To lose weight and keep it off, one has to commit to changing one's eating habits for life.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I am considering going on The Scarsdale Medical Diet for a while. Has anyone followed this diet?

I only want to lose 6 lbs. I have pretty much been the same weight since High School but recently gained 6 lbs. I'm still slender but I want to be the same weight again. My jeans are just a bit too snug
Perhaps I'm full of BS but I know what weight feels right for me.
I know I've gained the weight because I haven't been eating as healthy as before.

I've got heart problems, High Cholesterol, hypothyroidism and IBS so I can't mess around with my health.
I bought the book at a second hand book sale and it seems healthy enough.
The only thing on the diet I can't eat is grapefruit. It interferes with my chronic medication. They say you can substitute with other fruit.

Also does anyone know what the best substitute for grapefruit will be?
I am not familiar w/ the Scarsdale diet (and I won't give you links to same). I speak from experience (not Google). Before starting any diet, consult your doc.

Eight drinks a day is not good. Move around, don't sit at the computer several hours a day, exercise, eat healthy (green leafy vegetables & fresh fruit). Drink lots of water, & take vitamin supplements. Two weeks will not solve the problem or take weight off.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Snip--I can appreciate the need for rules. However, I am a firm believer in restricting the foods you know are bad for you--fried foods, sugar, junk food and eliminating those from your household. Yes, I know you have kids and want to give them treats, but those treats can still be healthy and good for you. My favorite poutine stand was open today when I drove by...I was drooling, I so wanted one of Tony's poutines. I drove on by. But I so wanted poutine.

I caught a segment on the news the other day about bribing kids to eat their veggies and then they can have the dessert. Studies are showing that this has a long-term negative affect--emotionally, people associate the "sweet" with good feelings, the veggie with negative. Measure your portions, plan your meals, don't grocery shop when you are hungry, stick to your list, and keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies on hand.

Six pounds is not a huge challenge to lose. You just need to get rid of the "crap" food in the house and go back to the healthy foods. And, as we age, our metabolism changes. What I could eat at 30, I dare not eat today 20+ years later. A malted milk every now and again, but not 3 times a week. Diets don't work because people don't change their eating habits over the long-term, just for the 21 days or 6 weeks while they are on the diet. To lose weight and keep it off, one has to commit to changing one's eating habits for life.
What I could eat at 30 I can't even carry today!

Snip I agree with the general theme of the posts so far.

I think you just need to tweak your daily intake a little bit. A gain of six pounds over eight months is only 80-100 extra calories per day. Eliminate a slice of bread or a shot of vodka each day and increase your activity slightly.

The good news it is only 6 pounds and not 60!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
What I could eat at 30 I can't even carry today!

Snip I agree with the general theme of the posts so far.

I think you just need to tweak your daily intake a little bit. A gain of six pounds over eight months is only 80-100 extra calories per day. Eliminate a slice of bread or a shot of vodka each day and increase your activity slightly.

The good news it is only 6 pounds and not 60!
+1!!I'd dump bread and sugar. And self-medicating in the a.m. Love you. I don't even want to guess how many DCers are saying "6 lb" get real.

Tags
diet