The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you everyone. This is one time in my life I am not going to be that strong woman who can take on the world. Big deal! So I raised five kids mostly by myself. A lot of women have done the same and even more kids than me and did it all alone.

Now it is my turn to be cared for. I have made an appointment with my social worker to help me get over this. She told me last week to make sure I take the time to mourn the loss of a major part of my body. And she is so right. I look at the stump with all the metal staples in it and I burst into tears. It seems like they have bee flowing all day.

Thank you all for caring. The last time I had a trauma like this hit me was when my daughter was murdered. I got through that and I guess I will do the same this time. The only difference is that my leg is not sitting in a coffin.

I've been having problems with eating anything after 4 pm. It's like I've stopped digesting. So I make sure I eat a good lunch. But I have lost weight, so maybe it's a good thing.

Hospital food leaves a lot to be desired. Specially if it is a diabetic diet with salt free. Great way to lose weight though. If that is your goal. It certainly wasn't for me. The last time they weighed me it was 78.8 pounds. I suggested they get rid of the "diabetic" and "salt free". Sure enough, once they did that, the taste improved immensely. Now my goal is to get back to 100 lbs.

I'm so sorry to read this Addie. I can only imagine the mental trauma of loosing a leg that you suffered so much to keep. When the shock of it subsides, I know you will eventually do better than you have in the recent past. I'm really rooting for you!

Good morning everyone. Well, here I am back again. After four surgeries in the same day on the one leg, they decided to go for number five. That was the kicker and winner. I just don't have the courage yet to face anyone in the building. Because if just one person asks to see my stump where my leg used to be, I will lose it completely and doubt I can make it back. I was in rehab and the only thing they taught me was how to stand up straight at the sink.

Pirate has a big sign on my door, telling everyone to leave me alone. I would be so lost without him.

This ghost pain is really getting to me. Specially on the heel of my missing leg.
All my love to you, Addie, and a prayer slipping in there for you. Take your time over getting used to it and remember Douglas Bader (not that I'm suggesting you take up a new career as a fighter pilot ;)).

Many of us at DC are getting older, and at times we want support and sympathy. That's a great idea, but our aches and pains can clutter up some of the other threads to the point that I think I'm reading a medical journal! :wacko:

I figure we can post our complaints here. Questions, too. Not like we should look for real medical advice, since (I think) none of us are a licensed doctor, but sometimes someone else has had a little problem that another one of us has found a crazy help for. I'm sure if someone gets too close to acting like a real doctor, someone will be along to set us on the right path. (I'm looking at you, GotGarlic. :LOL: With love, of course. :flowers: )
You may know about what I'm going to say but I'll say it anyway as I've just discovered something that could affect a number of us on here.

About 18 months ago I was diagnosed with severe arthritis in my hip (no probs, I can live with it and that's not the point of what I have to say). I was prescribed an naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, others), an anti-inflammatory, officially to be taken daily but I've been taking it only when the pain was very severe and it was taking me 15 or so minutes to climb out of bed.

A couple of months ago I started on a really serious house renovation programme and as I was climbing up and down ladders I decided that it would be a good idea to start taking the Naproxen per prescription so I would be safer on the ladders. At the same time, I've been taking Gingko Biloba since it was recommended to me for peri-menopause forgetfulness.

A couple of weeks ago it suddenly clicked that the many small bruises that I've been getting with no recollection of any bumps and bangs might have something to do with the Naproxen so I looked it up and as a result decided to stop taking it for a couple of weeks to check. The bruising seems to have stopped but I suddenly thought about the Gingko Biloba and wondered if there was a link. Turns out there is.

Which is were we get round to what I started this for. It turns out that it is not a good idea to take GB when you are on anti-inflammatory drugs as it can cause serious bleeding. Obviously, I'm not a doctor or a pharmacist but neither am I stupid so I'm going to mention it to my doctor when I go for a repeat prescription for my naproxen next week.

It may be that some of you also take GB at the same time as Naproxen or similar anti-inflammatories and aren't aware of the link. In which case it might be an idea to speak to your Doctor next time you go to collect your prescription.

... Which is were we get round to what I started this for. It turns out that it is not a good idea to take GB when you are on anti-inflammatory drugs as it can cause serious bleeding. Obviously, I'm not a doctor or a pharmacist but neither am I stupid so I'm going to mention it to my doctor when I go for a repeat prescription for my naproxen next week.

It may be that some of you also take GB at the same time as Naproxen or similar anti-inflammatories and aren't aware of the link. In which case it might be an idea to speak to your Doctor next time you go to collect your prescription.

Was the gingko biloba recommended by your doctor?

This is a serious pet peeve of mine. Many herbs interact with Rx medicines and can cause serious side effects but since they're not regulated, in the United States at least, and they're marketed as if they're perfectly safe, people don't think they need to tell their doctors what they're doing.

This is why it's so dangerous for people to diagnose and treat themselves, especially with unregulated OTC herbs and spices, like St. John's wort and turmeric. There was a report last year about a woman with cancer who died because the OTC herb she was taking (I can't remember what it was) interfered with her chemotherapy and made it less effective.

All medications you're taking, whether prescribed or not, should be reported to your doctor.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your concern and support. I think I am over the weeps and non stop crying from this morning. I sure hope so. I do have to knuckle down and learn how to function without my leg and do it all safely.

Good morning everyone. Well, here I am back again...
I'm glad to see that you're still on the same side of the ol' sod as daisies, Addie. Been worrying about you a bit. Good luck with adjusting to what is your new normal, and sending up a prayer here and there for a smooth recovery.

I'm glad to see that you're still on the same side of the ol' sod as daisies, Addie. Been worrying about you a bit. Good luck with adjusting to what is your new normal, and sending up a prayer here and there for a smooth recovery.

Thank you so much. Needless to say I have been through enough mills to keep me going for a few more years. When I first got up out of my bed after the last surgery, I noticed a metal staple on the floor. I also noticed that what looked like blood to me, wasn't. It was plasma that was seeping out from the corner where the staple had been. I was told not to fret, it will heal itself. And it is. The weepies have finally stopped for today. So I decided to practice some simple tasks that I really have to learn. Like getting in and out of the shower without assistance. I did it pretty good, but then it is the very same method I have been using for a few years. And I have to admit, I did look silly with all my clothing on. Pirate stood in the doorway to make sure I kept myself safe.

Practice all of it with your clothes on and with Pirate standing by, when you get good at it then you can go naked and be free.

Best wishes and good thoughts.

Addie, I'm sorry to hear this, and truly wishing you the best for a speedy healing. I was worried when we didn't hear from you for so long.

I'm also glad that you have your son there with you full time to help you. Take care.

Practice all of it with your clothes on and with Pirate standing by, when you get good at it then you can go naked and be free.

Best wishes and good thoughts.

Thank you so much PF. Pirate is having a hard time with helping me to do some simple things. Like putting on my underpants. I can get my one good leg in, but you have to grab the stump and put it through the opening where your other leg would go if I still had it. Seeing your mother naked or even just half dressed,.... He is still not comfortable with seeing me in that condition. The both of us have a lot of learning to do.

Tomorrow I am going to Winthrop to see my medical team. Pirate is coming with me. According to the Family Care Act, the HAVE by law, train him in how to teach me certain acts and help me care for my stump. So this is going to be a long learning lesson for both of us.

Thank you to both of you. It is still early in the morn, but he is going to have to wake up and help me take a shower. I would have become a permanent resident of some home for the elderly if I didn't have him here.

Thank you so much PF. Pirate is having a hard time with helping me to do some simple things. Like putting on my underpants. I can get my one good leg in, but you have to grab the stump and put it through the opening where your other leg would go if I still had it. Seeing your mother naked or even just half dressed,.... He is still not comfortable with seeing me in that condition. The both of us have a lot of learning to do.

Tomorrow I am going to Winthrop to see my medical team. Pirate is coming with me. According to the Family Care Act, the HAVE by law, train him in how to teach me certain acts and help me care for my stump. So this is going to be a long learning lesson for both of us.

Nope, not easy seeing anybody's Mom or Dad naked or half dressed. But, the need is there and we must adapt. Pirate will do fine and I think Spike should get some learning, too. Especially transfers in and out of cars, trucks.
Tell your boys that they are not the first and will not be the last, they can do it, cause their Mom said so.:heart: They are good boys!

Nope, not easy seeing anybody's Mom or Dad naked or half dressed. But, the need is there and we must adapt. Pirate will do fine and I think Spike should get some learning, too. Especially transfers in and out of cars, trucks.
Tell your boys that they are not the first and will not be the last, they can do it, cause their Mom said so.:heart: They are good boys!

While I was in rehab, I HAD to change my proxies. Poo even with all his medical training and knowledge is next to useless to me. Living in Vermont while I am here in Massachusetts doesn't help me at all. So Pirate is now my primary caretaker and then Spike.

You know, I am not the woman I used to be. I am down to child size, weigh less than 80 pounds and all my equipment is from pedi side of medicine. I even have a child size walker. But with just one leg, I am so terrified to learn how to use it. That is going to be one long learning session.

Mad Cook I agree with GG completely.

I was trying to post the same when the weather opened up and swallowed me. Here, in Quebec, we are given a sheet of paper with each new drug prescription. Plus the druggist him/herself comes to you to talk about it. It describes what/where/when, the pro's and possible con's of the the drug. They sometimes actually say to NOT take certain supplements that re-act with them. But the ALWAYS say to check with your druggist and/or doctor before taking any.

Also our pharmacies cannot sell any OTC's drugs or herbals that do not have a specific health benefit. As well, at least in my province, not necessarily others, a lot of OTC's are behind the counter where you must ask for them. When you do they check your listed prescriptions to see if there are any adverse effects and will warn you of them. they will still sell them to you but they make sure you are aware there are dangers.

Addie, your going to get through this a much stronger person.
You are already strong.Wishing a speedy recovery.
As for Pirate.He might want to check with Winthrop about this.
He is entitled to be paid for what he's doing for you.
If they say no.Tell them he's cheaper than having a live in nurse take care of you.See how quick they are to pay him.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom