The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A new day, A new attitude

Well I went to Winthrop this morning. I am still not ready to face the world. But I am now on a new venture in my life and I am going to be taking you all along with me. I promise no blood and gore. Just my successes in my recovery. They sent a private van to pick me up and bring me back home. They used the back entrance so I wouldn't have to face anyone or talk to them. I showed Rehab how I can transfer from my wheelchair to a bed or other seat. They were quite impressed. Tomorrow the nurse will be coming to my home to change the dressings. I will be going back Thursday to learn how to use a walker. That sounds interesting. At least I will be able to get out of my chair. And then next week they are going to be teaching me the proper was to get in and out of the shower on my own without Pirates help. But he will still have to be available when I do take a shower.

In a little while I am going to get on my electric scooter and even though it is very hot (Oh how I love that!) I am going to take about a 20 minute trip around the neighborhood. I have yet to spend any time outside since summer began. From the van to inside. I also will have a session with my social worker next Thursday. This is something I really need.

Ta ta for now. I need to get my mail and outside.

Addie, your going to get through this a much stronger person.
You are already strong.Wishing a speedy recovery.
As for Pirate.He might want to check with Winthrop about this.
He is entitled to be paid for what he's doing for you.
If they say no.Tell them he's cheaper than having a live in nurse take care of you.See how quick they are to pay him.

Munky.

We have discussed this at length. Pirate is also on SSD for his neuropathy. We are going to look into just how much he can earn without it interfering with his disability. Our state law says that Winthrop HAS to train him. And they are working with him also.

Pirate receives the maximum right now for disability. We don't want to screw that up.

Addie, your going to get through this a much stronger person.
You are already strong.Wishing a speedy recovery.
As for Pirate.He might want to check with Winthrop about this.
He is entitled to be paid for what he's doing for you.
If they say no.Tell them he's cheaper than having a live in nurse take care of you.See how quick they are to pay him.

Munky.

+1+2

Well, here it is Thursday already. Back to Winthrop again. On Tuesday, they brought me in and then back out to go home at the back of the building. So, today I am going to request that when I am ready to go home, they can wheel me through the big room. I will enter privately, but leave publicly. If I cn handle that, then I am on my way emotionally. Will let you know. But I will tell you, I am scared to death.

Today, I will be starting on rehab. And after to see my social worker. Buckle up folks. My biggest fear is if someone asks to see my stump. It is not covered The metal staples and sutures are completely exposed. I am very comfortable with any requests of the medical staff. But the rest of the patients don't always know when they need to keep their lips held tightly together. I simply am not ready to socialize with others. I could cover my leg with a small baby blanket. But in this heat? eh! I just ha ve to grit my teeth and face this all sooner or later.

Well I went to Winthrop this morning. I am still not ready to face the world. But I am now on a new venture in my life and I am going to be taking you all along with me. I promise no blood and gore. Just my successes in my recovery. They sent a private van to pick me up and bring me back home. They used the back entrance so I wouldn't have to face anyone or talk to them. I showed Rehab how I can transfer from my wheelchair to a bed or other seat. They were quite impressed. Tomorrow the nurse will be coming to my home to change the dressings. I will be going back Thursday to learn how to use a walker. That sounds interesting. At least I will be able to get out of my chair. And then next week they are going to be teaching me the proper was to get in and out of the shower on my own without Pirates help. But he will still have to be available when I do take a shower.

In a little while I am going to get on my electric scooter and even though it is very hot (Oh how I love that!) I am going to take about a 20 minute trip around the neighborhood. I have yet to spend any time outside since summer began. From the van to inside. I also will have a session with my social worker next Thursday. This is something I really need.

Ta ta for now. I need to get my mail and outside.
Well done, Addie. You seem to be getting a grip on the practical things. And three cheers for the Pirate who is providing a sterling service.

Re the "knickers" problem - I wonder if it would help if you put the "missing" leg in first and then the other one? I have severe arthritis in my right hip which limits its bending and rotation and I find it easier to put that leg in my "knicks " and tights/"panty-hose" and trousers first. (Just a thought and not based on any medical theory).

Are they thinking of letting you try a prosthesis when you are properly healed?

All the best from over here

Love from Mad Cook

Well, here it is Thursday already. Back to Winthrop again. On Tuesday, they brought me in and then back out to go home at the back of the building. So, today I am going to request that when I am ready to go home, they can wheel me through the big room. I will enter privately, but leave publicly. If I cn handle that, then I am on my way emotionally. Will let you know. But I will tell you, I am scared to death.

Today, I will be starting on rehab. And after to see my social worker. Buckle up folks. My biggest fear is if someone asks to see my stump. It is not covered The metal staples and sutures are completely exposed. I am very comfortable with any requests of the medical staff. But the rest of the patients don't always know when they need to keep their lips held tightly together. I simply am not ready to socialize with others. I could cover my leg with a small baby blanket. But in this heat? eh! I just ha ve to grit my teeth and face this all sooner or later.
If they aren't staff with a good reason to ask, tell them, in no uncertain tones, to mind their own damned business and sweep off with dignity! They are just nosey and have no right to be so inquisitive.

Over here, people in hospital waiting rooms, in queues at bus stops, on trains, etc., etc., tend to behave as though no-one else is there and they look at you as if you've grown horns and are a friend of the grim reaper if you just say "Good morning" to them :LOL:.

Chin up, love, you're getting there.

Best wishes

Mad Cook

Last edited:
Re the "knickers" problem - I wonder if it would help if you put the "missing" leg in first and then the other one? I have severe arthritis in my right hip which limits its bending and rotation and I find it easier to put that leg in my "knicks " and tights/"panty-hose" and trousers first. (Just a thought and not based on any medical theory).

Love from Mad Cook

Mad Cook, I don't know where exactly the stump ends but it is probably easier to put the well leg in first. If the bad (shorter) leg goes in first, the the knickers have to go down to put the well leg in, then you're putting the bad leg in again.

Just my opinion, not medical based.

A new day, A new attitude

I do believe I have found my savior. Today has been the worse day so far. There I was sitting in my own mess that has run up my back. The nurse walked in, too one look at Pirate changing and washing me off, head to foot. She turned around and left, went to Winthrop to get required supplies and report that Pirate had everything under control. No need to worry about him caring for me.

So there I was sobbing and crying because I can't even take care of myself. An hour goes by, all is calm again, I am all cleaned up and I take about a 15 minute nap. When I woke up I was going to go through all my emails. Then I decided to go to You Tube to find other amputees. OMG!!! They are all over the place.

Yup, There is one that explains everything and I have intentions of watching it over and over until I am the happy person I want to be. My pain meds arrived and except for the Ghost Pain, I am back where I want to be.

Hang in there Addie - change is hard and adjustment takes time.

Extra hugs for Pirate today :)

If they aren't staff with a good reason to ask, tell them, in no uncertain tones, to mind their own damned business and sweep off with dignity! They are just nosey and have no right to be so inquisitive.

Over here, people in hospital waiting rooms, in queues at bus stops, on trains, etc., etc., tend to behave as though no-one else is there and they look at you as if you've grown horns and are a friend of the grim reaper if you just say "Good morning" to them :LOL:.

Chin up, love, you're getting there.

Best wishes

Mad Cook

My social worker told me the very same thing. "It is none of your business and NO you can't see my stump." What was making it so hard for me and my fears is that I am a very polite person, by nature and training.

Hang in there Addie - change is hard and adjustment takes time.

Extra hugs for Pirate today :)

Yeah, he definitely stepped right up to the plate today. It is very hard for your male child to see his mother stark naked and have to clean and wash areas he had hope he would never see. Not one word of complaint from him. That is one big hurdle we both got over.

I will definitely pass your hugs on to him. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Yeah, he definitely stepped right up to the plate today. It is very hard for your male child to see his mother stark naked and have to clean and wash areas he had hope he would never see. Not one word of complaint from him. That is one big hurdle we both got over.

I will definitely pass your hugs on to him. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

And fire that nurse, she should have stepped in and at the very least helped Pirate.

Well, yesterday I went down to get my mail. There were about five or so of the building busybodies sitting in the community room.

Should I or shouldn't I? I sat in the hallway trying to decide if I should talk to them. I finally got up the courage and went in.

"Can I talk to you ladies? If I ignore you or walk right by you, do not answer you when you say hello, it doesn't mean I am snubbing any of you. Right now I am concentrating on my very own deep problems of accepting the loss of my leg along with other problems. I cannot put socializing at the top of my list. Thank you for your patience with me." I then went back to my apartment to have a good cry and typed up a letter that I posted on the bulletin board on each floor. One hurdle out of my way.

The problem with being on pain medication is that you are constantly sleepy. Gee, hope I wake up soon.

Well, Spike has finally stepped up to the plate. In his own way he has been helping. Mention that we are all out of salt, he will take Teddy for a walk, and then return with a box of salt in hand. He has been providing us with small items we might mention that we would like or need.

Well, yesterday Pirate mentioned that he really needed to go for a shopping order. But he is afraid to leave me alone. If I fall, I will be lying on the floor until he gets back. So Spike showed up really early in the morning to babysit me, while Pirate went shopping. He is beginning to step up to the plate. When Pirate got back, Spike told him to go back to bed and get some rest. He would put all the groceries away.

Poor Teddy. He doesn't know if he doesn't know if he lives here or with Spike.

Addie, so glad both the boys are stepping up for you now instead of just Pirate. My sister helps out when she can in the summer, but living on the OBX and working with a realty company (she's the rental manager) she is lucky if she gets one day a week off. She helps out more during the other seasons, except for this fall coming up. She'll be having hip replacement surgery in October.

Addie, so glad both the boys are stepping up for you now instead of just Pirate. My sister helps out when she can in the summer, but living on the OBX and working with a realty company (she's the rental manager) she is lucky if she gets one day a week off. She helps out more during the other seasons, except for this fall coming up. She'll be having hip replacement surgery in October.

Ouch, that hurts!

Well yesterday I went into full, breakdown deep sobbing at the doctors. All the doctor did was ask how was I doing. It was about time. I have kept myself under total control up til yesterday. He told one of the office nurses to stay with me, left and closed the door. Today I am fine. I was sort of wondering when I would break down completely.

I sort of slept last night, but not as I have been since I left the hospital. My daughter stopped by with a huge container of fried clams for me yesterday. Needless to say I pigged out on them and still have some left for today. Oh Yum!!!

Making Progress With My Feelings.

Well yesterday I had me a really good sob. Today was cleaning day for Pirate and myself. What little I could do sitting in a wheelchair. I folded all the laundry, ran around with the dust mop, and lastly dumped the little waste baskets into the huge bag that the laundry comes back to us in. So I was of some use. I told Pirate that every time he steps to help me, he is really no help at all. He is taking away my independence of trying to learn to do. I should have kept my mouth shut. He kept me busy for quite a while. I was really tired when I stopped for a break. So I informed Pirate I was more than ready to retire. And I did!!

Today I tried to use the dust mop again. I am having a really bad time with the ghost pain. I keep trying to reach down to my none existent ankle and foot. All I wanted to do was to rub some of the pain away. So instead I took some oxycodone and TraMADrol. At least the pain subsided. And yes that is exactly the way it is spelled on the package.

Tomorrow I go to Winthrop for a session with Rehab and an hour with my social worker. She has been a godsend and blessing for me. I get to pour out all my fears and other feelings. And she has said things to me that I never thought of. Today I was talking on the phone to her and told her about my breakdown at the doctors office. I told her that before I left I apologized to the doctor and nurses. "You never need to apologize to anyone for having feelings. Specially when it involves a major loss in your life. Would you apologize if you lost a member of your family? It is the same thing in both cases. You have gone through a huge major loss." And losing my leg was a MAJOR loss. Like losing a loved one. I still get upset when I dwell on it. So I try to think happy thoughts. But when I am alone, I give in and have at least one good cry each day.

I also told my nurse, I don't need the special treatment of coming in and leaving by the back door. It is time for me to deal with it in front of people. I will have choices. I can tell them it is none of their business, ignore them and don't answer them, change the subject, or give them an honest answer. I just hope no one asks to see my stump. Right now it is so swollen and ugly. And I still have the metal staples in the incision. They will come out on the 31st of this month.

Time for bed. I am tired after folding all that laundry. Good night.

Last edited:
Addie, I feel for you. There are so many things that are out of our control, but we can control our thoughts. Stay positive!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!” Hunter S Thompson

Carpe Diem... seize the day.

CD

I sort of slept last night, but not as I have been since I left the hospital. My daughter stopped by with a huge container of fried clams for me yesterday. Needless to say I pigged out on them and still have some left for today. Oh Yum!!!

I'm sure the fried clams were a wonderful, a balm for the body, mind and soul. I hope you enjoy the rest of them today.

How is your blood sugar doing with all this stress from everything that has happened lately? I just remembered you had problems with it.

I spent the morning on the ER, we are not sure what happened but my body decided it was time to behave badly. So I am not translating mead recipe or honey biscuits for this weekend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom