The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering where you had gotten off to.
Glad your home. Home is the best medicine.
I doubt you will become addicted to the opioids. Take them when the pain is unbearable. You're smart. If they had thought you would abuse them it wouldn't have been prescribed.
With the antibiotics drink plenty of fluids. Get some rest if you can. Stay off your feet. If you want we can binge watch something on Netflix ;):flowers:

Munky.

I remember reading some study about opioid addiction and pain. According to that study, people who take opioids for pain for a shorter while (I think it was a month or so) almost never get addicted. If you only take it for pain, and not long term, it shouldn't be a problem. But, I'm not a scientist or a medical professional, so maybe some independent research or asking your doctor would be a good idea.

I remember reading some study about opioid addiction and pain. According to that study, people who take opioids for pain for a shorter while (I think it was a month or so) almost never get addicted. If you only take it for pain, and not long term, it shouldn't be a problem. But, I'm not a scientist or a medical professional, so maybe some independent research or asking your doctor would be a good idea.
I somehow overlooked this part. That's true.

The problem begins when you *want* to have narcotics, not when you *need* them to deal with pain. Something else to remember is that intense pain causes great stress and can delay healing. Every time I've had surgery, especially while in the hospital, I have not hesitated to ask for relief. Btw, all of my doctors are professors at the medical school where I used to work. They teach medical students and residents, so they have to be current with the latest research.

I did not need or request to take any pain meds home, so there will not be a possible problem as my horrible pain is a thing of the past now. Phew...I don't ever want that experience again.
My nose looks better today, although the scabs are icky, but the Bacitraycin with Zink is helping the healing. SC says he loves me no matter how I look and he still thinks I'm beautiful, but we know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :rolleyes: His opinion is all that counts to me.:wub:

Thank you everyone for the good wishes.
;)

I did not need or request to take any pain meds home, so there will not be a possible problem as my horrible pain is a thing of the past now. Phew...I don't ever want that experience again.
My nose looks better today, although the scabs are icky, but the Bacitraycin with Zink is helping the healing. SC says he loves me no matter how I look and he still thinks I'm beautiful, but we know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :rolleyes: His opinion is all that counts to me.:wub:

Thank you everyone for the good wishes.
;)

OMGosh, Kay - what an experience, especially without your SC! ? I'm so sorry you had to go through that ordeal but very glad to hear you're over the worst. :heart:

Hello friends… I've missed you.:flowers:

Two days ago I came home from the hospital where I spent nearly a week, and I’m now safely on the mend at home...Anyway, Back home now, SC made a spread sheet for the many oral medications to be taken for the next week or so. I have a follow up office appointment with the infectious diseases Dr. who was just one of the many Drs. who took such good care of me...

Huggs...Kayelle.:flowers::winkiss:
We missed you, too. :heart:

That must have been a horrible experience, Kayelle. I'm glad you're back home in the safety of your dear SC's care. I hope next week's doctor's appointment gives you the all clear.

As far as re-using masks? When I go out to run errands, I count how many stops I'll be making before I get home and then take one more mask than I have stops. (Yeah, I've got a little collection...) When I get back into the car, off goes that mask and it's put into an old produce bag that I keep clipped with a clothespin. Next stop, new mask. I continue that until I get home, then take the bag of used masks in for washing. You need a collection of fashion masks.

GG, I did not know/think of the ironing trick. I like that. I'll still wash my masks, but maybe give them a quick press (sans starch, of course. ;) ) before hanging on their hook in the back hall.

Update:

We saw my Infectious Disease Dr. in his office on Wed. By the way, he's the guru at the hospital for Covid. A really terrific guy with a great bed side manner, and older than my cookie sheets.;) He was really happy to see how well I've healed since leaving the hospital. The skin color on the end of the nose looks bruised, but he said that would fade like the bruises all over my arms and hands. He said to call him next week to follow up on the phone.

WARNING: :ohmy:For those of you who don't want to see icky stuff..exit now. :blink:

These are pictures of before and after the hospital. It was at least 3 times worse when I was there, but the pictures they took there have only been seen by me and the Doctors. I'm glad SC never saw them then, or now.

Attachments

• nose 1 (2).jpg
    nose 1 (2).jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 82
  • nose 2 (2).jpg
    nose 2 (2).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 90
  • nose3 (2).jpg
    nose3 (2).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 62
  • nose4 (2).jpg
    nose4 (2).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 73
  • nose5 (3).jpg
    nose5 (3).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 103
OMG taxy! You didn't hug that did you?

Glad to see you kept your nose Kayelle,...

... how would you know when the roast is ready without one! :angel:

Oh my gosh...so glad you're better, Kay! Those things are weird how they just kind of show up. Last year I had what I thought was just a little cyst on the back of my neck and that it would go away in a week or two...it didn't and grew quickly. Not going into details, but it was nasty.

K.L., I've had some experience with nasty sores, cuts, blisters, and such. I'm no stranger to the pain of skin issues, including largo, 2nd degree burns. I understand what you have, and are experiencing. All i can say is, do what you need to to make it heel. Eat the high protean foods. Protect the area from more injury. Keep it clean. It will heal. The pain will go away. Take care of yourself, and rely on your Hubby to help. Like was said by Drago claw; you need that nose so you know when the food is cooked. Cood call Dragon.:LOL:

Besides, we all just want you to feel better.:)

Seeeeya; Cief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Wow, Kayelle, that looks like something someone would create as a Halloween special effect. I'm so glad that you're finally coming to the end of this medical issue. No rubbing noses with Souschef until it's all cleared up though, you hear? ;)

Thank you all so much, my friends.

Yesterday marked 16 days since I left the hospital and both of us have stayed in isolation, except for the follow up Dr. appointment.

I have been concerned that I picked up Covid in the hospital, so yesterday we went to the local drive through testing. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad as we got to stick the swab up our own noses, as far as it would go. Ick, but better me than someone else.

We then drove to the ocean for our emotional comfort. It works wonders for us, just sitting there watching the surf.

Here's the best part and the end of the story...
The results came back by way of text this morning and we BOTH TESTED NEGATIVE.:clap::heart::clap:

Last edited:
Fantastic. I'm so happy you are on the mend.

I just finished getting an MRI on my left heel, just to make sue there is no infection. The Dr. doesn't believe there is, as the wound is heeling nicely. She stated that if there is infection, tissue won't grow over the bone. Tissue is growing well, and the wound is getting smaller. So I expect that the bone is infection free. But, we just need to be sure.

Send us pictures when your nose is all healed. My prayers will include you.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom