The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, aware of that too GG, but still thanks. Never hurts to be reminded. Lack of potassium is very real when one becomes dehydrated.
Although 90% of the cramps are in my foot, ankle and sometimes into my calf, those are "usually" easily stopped by flexing my foot (if caught in time) or jumping out of bed and standing.
Every once in a blue moon the cramp will be my entire leg right up into the groin - and that is a wowser! The first one I ever had lasted 3 minutes. I've even had one 5 minutes at which point I was looking for a cliff to fall off of. But thankfully they are extremely rare.

I've started massaging my feet at bedtime if I have been standing a lot during the day, @dragnlaw. It does seem to prevent foot cramps most of the time. And while most leg cramps are during the night, I have gotten them when sitting too much, like while riding in the car or sitting in a restaurant. Got one in my thigh so bad when we were in Chowning's Tavern at Colonial Williamsburg. Went to the ladies' room to massage it and walk it off. The woman who walked in when I was there must have thought I was delivering a baby with all of my whimpering and low moaning. 😯 😆

In the past when I’ve had problems with Charlie horse leg cramps I’ve found keeping an unwrapped bar of ivory or similar soap under the covers helps...
I don't remember who on DC mentioned that, but I tucked a bar of Ivory under the corner of the mattress pad after that post. Might be a placebo effect, but I didn't care as long as it helps!

I doubt lack of magnesium is the culprit in my case I get about 500 mg total with my calcium tablets. If I forget to take potassium, the foot an calf cramps are more like and more of them. I often have to get up and stand on the foot that is cramping and sometimes have to walk it off. Sometimes, it takes a lot of walking back and forth. I think I will try that trick with the Ivory Soap. I don't see how it could hurt. I also find that there are fewer cramps when I tuck my blankets in well around my legs and feet. It's a balancing act. If I get to warm while I'm sleeping, I start sticking limbs outside of the blankets and even an arm getting cold can provoke cramps in a foot.

I track what I eat and I haven't found a correlation between food and leg cramps. There still might be one, but I haven't figured it out.

Poor woman - I would have known exactly what you were going thru! I think I would have recognized the pant and moan routine quick enough. Yeah long sitting does it as well, long distance driving is becoming a bit of a chore. Luckily I'm not doing it much any more.
ummm, can't reach my feet to massage as my hips won't rotate to that position.

Yes, I must keep my feet and legs warm too. But I must have the blankets up off, not touching my feet!. Purchased a frame for the end of the bed just for that. Works wonders with the neuropathic pain. Many of my shoes have the toe area on top cut out so that nothing touches them.
As I said taxy, my potassium levels are good. They went low when I was ill a year or so ago but are back up just fine.

I've started massaging my feet at bedtime if I have been standing a lot during the day, @dragnlaw. It does seem to prevent foot cramps most of the time. And while most leg cramps are during the night, I have gotten them when sitting too much, like while riding in the car or sitting in a restaurant. Got one in my thigh so bad when we were in Chowning's Tavern at Colonial Williamsburg. Went to the ladies' room to massage it and walk it off. The woman who walked in when I was there must have thought I was delivering a baby with all of my whimpering and low moaning. 😯 😆

I have mild peripheral neuropathy in my feet, due to other reasons. It is really only noticeable in bed at night. Walking around, I don't really notice it. I do get foot cramps from it, but can easily just curl my toes up and it goes away quickly.

I take a B-Complex vitamin, and a separate vitamin B1, and that is supposed to help.

CD

Well, sad story... I looked in the mirror the other day and discovered a big - huge - colossal loss... my ankles.
So... I know I can't/won't diet in the conventional ways - that ain't gonna happen, but I figure I can cut down at least on one of the carbs - my biggest downfall - bread.
Walking used to be my favourite exercise once I couldn't ride my horse anymore. But that also has been taken away from me due to neuropathy and now (argh) weight gain, which aggravates the neuropathy.
So I am now going to the YMCA and doing Aquafit. The small tiles on the bottom of the pool hurt my feet - but got some swim shoes and it is working - that problem solved. Just dealing with the leg cramps once in a while. But the weightlessness of the water is amazing on my joints, allowing the extra motion to my limbs. Yeah!!
Last couple of times I've gone early when they have open Lane swimming. LOL - actually manage 1 lap up and back with the breast stroke. Then a 1/2 lane and back with the crawl - that really whacked me out. Luckily there is always a 15 minute break before the aquafit class starts for me to get my breath back.
But I think one of the best parts is, I didn't get any cramps doing the laps - was one of my fears in the deep end. Although I will say I've always been pretty agile in the water and swimming with just my legs or just my arms has always been in my routines. But never in agonizing pain that doesn't go away - neuropathy cramps aren't just "charley horse cramps".

So hopefully folks, you will hear back from me and I haven't gone to a watery grave at the bottom of the YMCA pool.

I love the aqua fitness classes at the Y. We have aqua fitness, aqua arthritis (which is a wonderful stretching class) and aqua jogging. There is also the aqua-size. The swim shoes are great.

If you are getting leg cramps at night, try ensuring you are sleeping in socks. It sounds weird but it helped me along with things others have mentioned - specifically some vitamin/mineral supplements and staying hydrated. Treat yourself to a wonderful sippy cup...or thermos. Yes, it is vogue right now, but I absolutely love my Stanley 40 ounce quencher. Especially with SF lemonade.

Good ideas Kathleen. I sleep with leg warmers pushed pretty much down around my ankles and heels. NOTHING must touch my toes! Hence the tent frame over the end of the bed.

We have both Aquafit and Hydrotherapy. I've done both now and can't really see too much of a difference in them.
The Hydrotherapy seems to do a little more with the shoulders than the Aquafit. I have to be careful as I've had torn in both shoulders and bless me if I strain them. Unfortunately it is not a matter of building up muscle, just being careful not to rip them up any further again. They won't do any more surgery on them.
That's what you get flinging bales of hay, unruly horses and chipping ice!

@taxlady calcium supplements can cause leg/feet cramps as a side effect. Look it up to verify it, then cut back on how much calcium supplement you are taking. Then pay attention if that helps.

@taxlady calcium supplements can cause leg/feet cramps as a side effect. Look it up to verify it, then cut back on how much calcium supplement you are taking. Then pay attention if that helps.
Good point. But, I won't be looking that up for a while. I simply have too much on my plate at the moment. I am currently taking the dose that my now retired doctor recommended that I take.

Back
Top Bottom