The SNAP (Food Stamps) Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've probably all had the same experience as Farmer John. It's unfortunate that it happens but lets face it, there are dishonest people in this world. And people who make really bad decisions about having children when they can barely take care of themselves. It's a reality. But the kids need to eat.

I would recommend watching "Hunger Hits Home" the next time it's showing on the food network. It follows three real life families with children.

Farmer John, you should have followed them to their car and taken down their license plate. When you see this kind of abuse, then it should be reported. At least the license plate number would have been a start for the authorities to begin. Were they married or was that her live in boyfriend? Either way, if he is living in the household, then his income needs to be considered.

In order to report abuse of the system, you don't have to get involved. You don't even have to give your name. You just have to give them something to base the start of an investigation. You say these people need to be reported. Well, then report them. Be a responsible citizen. Would I report someone? In a heartbeat. :angel:

Last edited:
I think this is going off track, let's get back to the experiment and stop speculating about some stranger's financial situation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Let's get back to the point of the post, how to survive and cook with the SNAP allotment.

She did much better this week. She is now learning to utilize what she already has in her home that was bought last week. She is stretching her money. It looks like her food is taxable. In Mass. it is not as long as it is not prepared food like a rotisserie chicken. So her SNAP money won't go as far as it would here. Unless she pays the tax in cash. In Mass. we pay the tax from our cash reserve. She had the chili pasta every night. That is more than I would do. It is more than I could do. After day three, I would be freezing it for a later day. She is learning to bargain hunt for fresh produce. Although she bought ground sirloin, I would have hunted for ground chuck. More flavor, less costly. But she will learn I am sure. :angel:

We pay tax on all food here too, even basic staples. It is a lower rate than say a TV, but it's still there. That took a little getting used to when I moved here.

Same here, bakechef. There's sales tax and then there's the higher "hot to go" tax - anything that is already prepared, like sandwiches, salads, rotisserie chickens, fast food, etc. We moved here from Michigan, which at the time didn't have sales tax on necessities. I don't know what it's like there now.

We pay tax on all food here too, even basic staples. It is a lower rate than say a TV, but it's still there. That took a little getting used to when I moved here.

Washington State does also. After living in Mass. and Texas where there was no food tax, like you said took some getting used to. I think taxing an absolute necessity such as food is just so wrong. :angel:

Her choices looked better this week. I'd nit pick and say that since the yogurt wasn't on sale, that maybe she try the store brand to save a bit, since it's plain there is likely to be less of a difference.

Those peppers were a steal.

The broth base while not really a necessity, can go a long way flavoring stuff for a relatively small amount of money.

Her choices looked better this week. I'd nit pick and say that since the yogurt wasn't on sale, that maybe she try the store brand to save a bit, since it's plain there is likely to be less of a difference.

Those peppers were a steal.

The broth base while not really a necessity, can go a long way flavoring stuff for a relatively small amount of money.

Next week at MB, Red Peppers are on sale for $1.29 for a bagful. So whatever a bag weighs depends on how many peppers are in it. Unless you use them quickly within the week, you could possibly lose them. So they may not prove to be quite the bargain in the end. We usually pay anywhere from $2.99 to $3.99 a lb. for red, yellow, orange peppers. Sometimes even as much as $4.99. She will definitely get her money's worth from the broth base. If she chooses to make a soup during one week, it will really come in useful. :angel:

No sales tax on food or clothes in Minnesota, either.

I'm just wondering... would it be less expensive to make your own yogurt? I've only done so once. For many years I made all my own bread, which (at the time) cost an average of 50 cents a loaf. I still make homemade wine, soft drinks, tortillas, ketchup, mustard, hot sauces, pickles, sauerkraut, etc.

Depending on how much of a DIY-er one is, you can save a lot of money on food by purchasing the base ingredients and making your own.

Regarding peppers, I bought a tray of 5 bell peppers at the farm market last weekend for $3. I doubt they take food stamps, though.

Last edited:
We have a farmer's market every Thursday during the summer here in Eastie. One of the conditions of being allowed to sell here is that they accept food stamps. The same sellers go to different neighborhoods during the week with the same selling conditions. I went one year. Transportation was provided. It was loaded with elderly from all the housing complexes for the elderly we have here. Never again. Too crowded for me and too difficult to walk on uneven ground. (Grass) :angel:

No sales tax on food or clothes in Minnesota, either.

I'm just wondering... would it be less expensive to make your own yogurt? I've only done so once. For many years I made all my own bread, which (at the time) cost an average of 50 cents a loaf. I still make homemade wine, soft drinks, tortillas, ketchup, mustard, hot sauces, pickles, sauerkraut, etc.

Depending on how much of a DIY-er one is, you can save a lot of money on food by purchasing the base ingredients and making your own.

Regarding peppers, I bought a tray of 5 bell peppers at the farm market last weekend for $3. I doubt they take food stamps, though.

We have some vendors that do take food stamps. There is something that the big state farmer's market does that gives people bonus dollars if they are using their food stamp card for fresh fruit and veg, it's something like $20 worth of fresh veg and fruit for spending $10 at the farmer's market. It's a really good plan, to not only help people out, but give them incentive to eat good stuff!

Next week at MB, Red Peppers are on sale for $1.29 for a bagful. So whatever a bag weighs depends on how many peppers are in it. Unless you use them quickly within the week, you could possibly lose them. So they may not prove to be quite the bargain in the end. We usually pay anywhere from $2.99 to $3.99 a lb. for red, yellow, orange peppers. Sometimes even as much as $4.99. She will definitely get her money's worth from the broth base. If she chooses to make a soup during one week, it will really come in useful. :angel:

Whenever I come across a great deal on red, yellow or orange peppers, I roast some and, if I can't use them quickly, I freeze them. They work great in soups and sauces once thawed.

Beth also said she likes to dip cut veggies in hummus, which seems to be a staple for her.

Last edited:
Our NYS sponsored farmers market exchanges SNAP benefits for plastic tokens that the vendors accept and redeem for cash at the end of the day.

The idea of making things from scratch is one that I continue to ponder. If you have gradually put together a well stocked pantry then it can be cost effective to make many things instead of buying them. If you are broke and living week to week then it is often cheaper just to buy an item and not make it from scratch. Being broke carries an additional hidden expense that most people don't see, the idea of buying the cake mix and the can of frosting instead of going into the pantry and having all the items needed to bake a cake etc...

I do pretty well on a limited grocery budget as long as I stick to the basic meats and seasonal fresh vegetables. The tough part is trying to buy a few manufactured foods like a jar of mayonnaise or pickles, one item can consume 10% of the weeks budget. Like most things in life it gets easier as you become more experienced.

Ohio doesn't charge for most food items at the check-out. The one exception I remember was that pop was taxed, and, oddly enough, ready-to-serve juice was taxed IF it was reconstituted from concentrate. Fresh-made juices were not taxed. Not sure if taxing orange juice from the dairy department was based on those conditions though since we always bought fresh-not-from-frozen OJ.

...Regarding peppers, I bought a tray of 5 bell peppers at the farm market last weekend for $3. I doubt they take food stamps, though.
Back in 2008 Westport CT restaurateur Michel Nischan was instrumental in gaining momentum for food stamp acceptance at Farmers' Markets, especially in getting the government to support doubling the purchasing power of the food stamp value if it was being used for produce. If I'm remembering correctly, he even went to far as to conduct small cooking classes to prepare those foods in small, neighborhood restaurant kitchens just so the residents in those needy parts of the city knew how to prepare and serve foods they might not be familiar with.

I know at Market Basket in Chelsea, the produce manager goes through all of the products and removes those that are not as fresh looking today as they were yesterday. They are marked down and are quickly snatched up by those on SNAP. They don't sit there very long. What doesn't sell, is sent to the Boston Food Bank for kitchens that cook for the homeless. :angel:

some of the supermarkets around me have a reduced produce cart. i usually am able to out run the little old ladies to get what i need first.

j/k addie.

i always out run them.

ok, really, j/k. ;)

i really do snatch up the reduced apples, citrus, and certain veggies to feed my parrots, though. feeding parrots fresh fruits and veg everyday gets really expensive.
it also allows me to have extra inexpensive stuff on hand to be more creative in my cooking. i regularly use one or two of the things i'd bought for the birds in a last minute recipe, or to try something new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom