"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #21
Sous Chef

We've probably all had the same experience as Farmer John. It's unfortunate that it happens but lets face it, there are dishonest people in this world. And people who make really bad decisions about having children when they can barely take care of themselves. It's a reality. But the kids need to eat.

I would recommend watching "Hunger Hits Home" the next time it's showing on the food network. It follows three real life families with children.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #22
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Pretty interesting and certainly insightful.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Farmer John, you should have followed them to their car and taken down their license plate. When you see this kind of abuse, then it should be reported. At least the license plate number would have been a start for the authorities to begin. Were they married or was that her live in boyfriend? Either way, if he is living in the household, then his income needs to be considered.

In order to report abuse of the system, you don't have to get involved. You don't even have to give your name. You just have to give them something to base the start of an investigation. You say these people need to be reported. Well, then report them. Be a responsible citizen. Would I report someone? In a heartbeat.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I think this is going off track, let's get back to the experiment and stop speculating about some stranger's financial situation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Let's get back to the point of the post, how to survive and cook with the SNAP allotment.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's the Week 2 summary of her SNAP Challenge:
SNAP Challenge: Week 2 Summary - Budget Bytes
Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

She did much better this week. She is now learning to utilize what she already has in her home that was bought last week. She is stretching her money. It looks like her food is taxable. In Mass. it is not as long as it is not prepared food like a rotisserie chicken. So her SNAP money won't go as far as it would here. Unless she pays the tax in cash. In Mass. we pay the tax from our cash reserve. She had the chili pasta every night. That is more than I would do. It is more than I could do. After day three, I would be freezing it for a later day. She is learning to bargain hunt for fresh produce. Although she bought ground sirloin, I would have hunted for ground chuck. More flavor, less costly. But she will learn I am sure.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We pay tax on all food here too, even basic staples. It is a lower rate than say a TV, but it's still there. That took a little getting used to when I moved here.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Same here, bakechef. There's sales tax and then there's the higher "hot to go" tax - anything that is already prepared, like sandwiches, salads, rotisserie chickens, fast food, etc. We moved here from Michigan, which at the time didn't have sales tax on necessities. I don't know what it's like there now.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We pay tax on all food here too, even basic staples. It is a lower rate than say a TV, but it's still there. That took a little getting used to when I moved here.
Washington State does also. After living in Mass. and Texas where there was no food tax, like you said took some getting used to. I think taxing an absolute necessity such as food is just so wrong.

Tags
food