The South has Creeped over the Mason Dixon Line!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
don't worry...

with what looks like a mass migration to the south for jobs, etc., y'all will get used to sweet tea down here soon enough.

... if i had $1 for every new jersey license plate i see in the houston metro area, i could retire early.

Elf, Kentucky was a border state. I say that as a proud Kentuciy Colonel.

So I guess that means one can get their tea either sweet or not.

I never found sweet tea when I grew up, am a northerner by birth - a southerner by preference.

Generally do not order iced tea, but when I do it is sweet tea.

Pretty soon y'all will be ordering grits and biscuits with sausage gravy.

James (who was born and raised in Iowa) learned the hard way. When he first moved here he would order "iced tea." He got sweet tea. Then he would add "regular" to his iced tea order. He got sweet tea. It took awhile but he finally learned to ask for "unsweet tea." Once in awhile he orders unsweet tea at the McDonald's drive-through. He has learned to check before he drives away because they almost always give him sweet! I have ordered tea (sweet) in sit-down restaurants but don't like it at fast-food places. To go off-topic a little, there is a brand of tea here in the south that isn't available all over the country. I found it at one store in California. If you haven't tried Luzianne tea for your iced tea, you haven't had the best iced tea! I can always tell when a restaurant uses Luzianne, and that is what I use at home. It is soooo smooth.

:) Barbara

I never found sweet tea when I grew up, am a northerner by birth - a southerner by preference.

I hear you Aunt dot..learned to love the South and the folks there after Paul and I were married. He was from North Carolina or as he use to say "Upper Carolina, north is a Yankee word"

thanks for the tip, ladies.

i've seen luzianne in the stores here. will have to gove it a go, but honestly i'm trying to be optimistic.

i find that over sweetening tea hides the subtle flavors that make teas special, cold or hot.

Last edited:
Robo410 said:
The "real recipe" (rissipee) is strong brewed tea mixed with simple syrup...1 cup sugar cooked with 1 cup water till disolved, until you reach your desired level of sweetness. lemon or mint optional

Ahhhh! Exactly what I wanted to know! So "sweet tea" IS different from sweetened iced tea!

Thank you, Robo!

Lee

Miss Lee....

"Sweet Tea" is sweetened iced tea. "Sweetened" ice tea is sweet tea. It's the same thing. Whether you make a simple sryup or add sugar straight to the brewed tea it matters not. Obviously what "sweet" means depends on each individual's taste.

I think you'll be pleased with the flavor of Luzianne tea, bucky. I never cared for "sweet" tea, so overpowering the flavor with a sweetener is not an issue with me. Buck likes his with a wedge of lemon and little to no sweetener. I'm iffy on the lemon. Sometimes I'm in the mood for it, others no way.

Luzianne here too!!!!! And a BIG - DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TEA BAGS when removing them - simply lift them away and don't let them "drain" in the pot. The tea will have that bitter taste if you squeeze the bags.

Bucky - if you like unsweet tea then that's what you like. My husband is the same way and he grew up "down here". He just prefers the taste of the tea. Luzianne is the best!

I prefer my tea with an orange slice or a lime slice. :chef:

I like Luzianne best too. We have been using the Arizona instant lately since we don't drink as much tea as we used to. It is getting harder to find and I may have to start making my own again.

black chef said:
don't worry...

with what looks like a mass migration to the south for jobs, etc., y'all will get used to sweet tea down here soon enough.

... if i had $1 for every new jersey license plate i see in the houston metro area, i could retire early.

I expect you'll be seeing a lot of California license plates soon, if you haven't already. I know a lot of people who've left here for the Southern states, not to find work, but to retire. Lots of folks to convert to sweet tea are coming your way!

Robo thanks for clearing up the Sweet Tea for me. I am from the north and sweet tea isn't a common item offered. I was in GA earlier this year and loved the sweet tea. I tried making it but only ended up with a bitter cloudy tea that I put sugar in which mostly sat on the bottom of the glass. I dislike the store bought ice tea (just lacks something)

elaine l said:
Robo thanks for clearing up the Sweet Tea for me. I am from the north and sweet tea isn't a common item offered. I was in GA earlier this year and loved the sweet tea. I tried making it but only ended up with a bitter cloudy tea that I put sugar in which mostly sat on the bottom of the glass. I dislike the store bought ice tea (just lacks something)

Elaine - when you make iced tea at home be sure and don't squeeze the tea bags. Also, make the tea stronger and add HOT water to dilute it and be sure and add the sugar while it is hot. Be careful not to add too much sugar. When you first make it and pour it over ice it will dilute a lot and seem not too sweet. Once the tea cools in the refrigerator it doesn't dilute when poured over ice and you realize there is WAY too much sugar in it. If your tea ends up cloudy pour a bit of boiling water in it and it should clear right up. Also, try Luzianne, like others have suggested.

I also dilute my tea to where it might appear a bit weak - if the tea is too strong it will have that bitter taste and I know I sound like a broken record, don't squeeze the tea bags. :chef:

kitchenelf said:
Elaine - when you make iced tea at home be sure and don't squeeze the tea bags. Also, make the tea stronger and add HOT water to dilute it and be sure and add the sugar while it is hot. Be careful not to add too much sugar. When you first make it and pour it over ice it will dilute a lot and seem not too sweet. Once the tea cools in the refrigerator it doesn't dilute when poured over ice and you realize there is WAY too much sugar in it. If your tea ends up cloudy pour a bit of boiling water in it and it should clear right up. Also, try Luzianne, like others have suggested.

I also dilute my tea to where it might appear a bit weak - if the tea is too strong it will have that bitter taste and I know I sound like a broken record, don't squeeze the tea bags. :chef:

So I don't squeeze the tea bags? hehe

The only "tea" I will drink is from Long Island.

Although, Sonic (wherever they are) has been running an ad for cranberry ice tea. That, I might try.

Back
Top Bottom