"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
”If you leave your house by one door, you must come back in the house by that same door or it’s bad luck”. HUH!?!?!?!
Yeah, keltin. I didn't know of the leaving by the "same" door superstition until I moved here in 1994. Our house has 5 outside doors, so a person could easily be put into a sorry mental state if they don't leave by the door they came in by.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef

That was one of my dreams as a little tomboy in Georgia to catch a Gar Fish Id seen some dead but man did I want to catch one on my bamboo pole I never did.Dang.I looked at your needle fish pic never knew those existed they look a bit scary but as a kid I would have sure wanted to catch one.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I used to as a kid sneak down to somebodies pond to catch catfish or wait till the neighbor left for work and gather pecans and sell them.Yes I was a real rebel.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Keltin,Ever heard of the red boots? A civil war thing.Dont know much about them but was told a little.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Keltin,Ever heard of the red boots? A civil war thing.Dont know much about them but was told a little.
Great stories JP! But, I've not heard of the "red boots". What is that?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Yeah, keltin. I didn't know of the leaving by the "same" door superstition until I moved here in 1994. Our house has 5 outside doors, so a person could easily be put into a sorry mental state if they don't leave by the door they came in by.
Oh Lord, that one has made my life so much more difficult! I had never heard of it either, and we have 3 doors to the outside…….and DW patrols them!

Heck, I’m a bit superstitious at heart, and it seems when I hear a new one, suddenly I own it even though I know better!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Keltin,If I remember right it was some civil war rebels that would tromp thru the red clay of the south making their boots red to wreck havoc.I may need to to a search on internet to see if they come up.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was a kid it was "tonic" then it was "soda" or a soft drink. Never heard anyone call it pop. Pop was the first half of a word that ended in "corn"

If you ask for a coke around here, you expect Coca-Cola. Not Pepsi or anything else.

It was an icebox when I was a kid. Now it's the fridge.

I drive my SO crazy when we're in the kitchen and I say, "Let's go inside." meaning go into the living room. It works in reverse if we're in the living room and I want to go into the kitchen.

The fish keltin listed are simply not available in the north. It's not that we are not adventurous, we just never see them.

If we order tea,we expect it to be hot. Otherwise we order iced tea. It comes unsweetened.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #19
DC Grandma

My MIL would say "he is in the house" if we were in the kitchen and I would ask where my husband was..meaning the living room...when she made fresh bread it was called Lite Bread..(North Carolina)

When he was stationed in Jackssonville Florida the older men he hunted with had their own language..
My dawg is over younder in the grater ditch..when he asked what was the grater ditch.."you city boy! where the grater came through..(where they were working on the road) and then one said " That Jip over thar is mine." Paul asked why he called his dog a Jip..answer was "if we call her a B.... my wife would kill me" so they all called the female dogs a Jip.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:10 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I'm a Florida native, born and bred within 35 miles of where I now live and I have never heard most of what I've read here about the way Southern people talk.