"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #41
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Surprise!! Surprise!!! It said I was 100% Dixie! Who'd a thought it???

It ask if Robert E. Lee was my grand-father

No, but in a round about way I was named after him!
Uncle Bob for president!!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
I second that!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Hey you beat me to it.Yes he should run for President if he declines than he can be President of DC.Get it? Washington,DC or our DC.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #44
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
We call ‘em package stores too! We also call the liquor stores or ABC stores (because some of them are run by the State......Alabama Beverage Control, and they list ABC on the doors to show it is state operated).
Then why does South Carolina also have ABC stores? LOL I didn't know what ABC stood for, so I just looked it up. It stands for Alcoholic Beverage Control. All I know is, from what I have heard, all the ABC stores here have to have red dots painted on them. Not sure why. In California we called stores that sold liquor--liquor stores.

As far as the accents here being extreme, I have been in areas of the south where the accent is truly that extreme. But in most places, of course it is not. What most people not in the south don't realize is that there is not just one southern (or northern, midwestern, etc.) dialect. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of them. In my college linguistics class we learned that there are at least 10 dialects in Boston alone. The small southern town I live in has a few dialects, but the town I lived in before this one (70 miles away) had quite a few very distinct dialects. It took a while but some of the people here are beginning to lose their accents (LOL--translate that to, I am learning to listen with a southern accent!).

Barbara
Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #45
Head Chef

I moved from Indiana to Florida to South Carolina and then back to Florida. I never had an accent until I moved to South Carolina.
When you are inundated with Y'All's and greeted at the fast food drive thru with "Hi Y'all, may ey hep ya?" it does rub off. When I moved back to Florida, my friends picked on me unmercifully about my "Suthern" accent.(Even though Florida is further south.) I had to make a very conscious effort to fix it.
Which brings up the expression "Fixin'" like in "I am fixin' to go to the store"
Southern translation "I am getting ready to go to the store"
Northern translation " I am repairing to go to the store" What the.....?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Attili
I moved from Indiana to Florida to South Carolina and then back to Florida. I never had an accent until I moved to South Carolina.
When you are inundated with Y'All's and greeted at the fast food drive thru with "Hi Y'all, may ey hep ya?" it does rub off. When I moved back to Florida, my friends picked on me unmercifully about my "Suthern" accent.(Even though Florida is further south.) I had to make a very conscious effort to fix it.
Which brings up the expression "Fixin'" like in "I am fixin' to go to the store"
Southern translation "I am getting ready to go to the store"
Northern translation " I am repairing to go to the store" What the.....?
Oh Renee, I forgot about "fixin' to"! Probably because it's part of my vocabulary. But what about this: Do any of you find yourself beginning to drawl when you spend some time speaking to others with an accent (or a thicker one than your own)? It kills me but I find myself "mirroring" people's accents as I talk to them. I'm always afraid they will notice and think I'm poking fun at them. What about ya'll?
Terry
Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #47
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Then why does South Carolina also have ABC stores? LOL I didn't know what ABC stood for, so I just looked it up. It stands for Alcoholic Beverage Control. All I know is, from what I have heard, all the ABC stores here have to have red dots painted on them. Not sure why. In California we called stores that sold liquor--liquor stores.
O.....M......G!

My inner red-neck has finally busted through.

It stands for Alcoholic Beverage Control......not Alabama.

That’s what I get for not paying attention and letting my fellow rednecks convince me Alabama was the center of the US!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I do thank you kind sir for your encouraging words of endorsement!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Well it's kinda early, but I'm fixin to pour me a drink! It looks like it's coming up a cloud and the bottom is gonna fall out in a minute!

Ya'll Hve Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #50
Senior Cook

How come nobuddy mentioned burlap bag, tow sack or tater sack? I took a sack lunch to school when I wuz a kid. Brown paper bag, that was.
I figgers y'all knows what bob war is? (barbed wire) or tar far (tire fire). And in Oklahoma, we pronounce Miami (in the northeastern part of the state) as Miamah.
It's funny to listen to a new tv newscaster try to pronounce the Native American names we have. We have Nowata, but we also have Lottawata.
Town of Pink is pronounced "Pank". Town of Achille is pronounced Ashley.
Have fun, y'all.