"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
The South - The North

I’ve seen quite a bit of “that must be a suthuhn thang” or “dats a Yankee thang”. So I’m wondering just how different is the North from the South? Personally, I don’t talk with an accent….even though ya’ll huv sho’nuff seen bad accents on the boob toob.

Some vocabulary that surprises even me in the south is:

Hose Pipe – My DW is from Tennessee (NORTH of here), and she uses this term. What the…..OH, it’s a “Water Hose”.

I say “Ice Box” which is the fridge (so does Emeril!). When my DW and I first go together, we were unloading groceries one day, and I said to stick the butter in the “ice box”. Later, I went looking for it and couldn’t find it……she had stuck it in the FREEZER. Ice….Freezer…….ok.

Northern folk seem unaccustomed to “Sweet Tea”. Down south, we drink it both ways, sweet and un-sweet.

Northern folk call a carbonated beverage a pop. The last time someone asked me for a “pop”, I almost hit him!

Conversely, I’ve got a bad habit of using “coke” generically to mean any soft drink (Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, RC Cola, etc). Instead of saying I want a soda or a pop, I say I want a Coke, even though I don’t mean Coca-Cola but instead mean Diet Mountain Dew.

Growing up on the Gulf Coast, I love seafood, but the further North I get, the less likely people are to be adventurous. Things like “muscles”, “mud bugs”, frog's legs, soft shelled crabs, catfish (especially "mud cat"), etc seem esoteric to some. Mention a mullet toss (nothing to do with the hair cut) and you’re often greeted with blank stares. Speak of “floundering”, “gigging”, or “trolling” and you get the same stares. Cast nets, trotlines, crab traps, crab boils, corn boils, etc……all foreign once you get a bit North of the Gulf Coast.

So, what are the oddities “ya’ll” see everyday that makes you “geographically different” from others?

Heh - Anyone else know what a "needle fish" is? I bet Uncle Bob does! How 'bout a Gar or "Nutra".

Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Fun thread, keltin.

As background, I was born in Nebraska and lived in Kentucky during my formative years. My mother was from Minnesota (read that Yankee territory) and my daddy was from central Kentucky (read that "Southern").

When I was in high school, I was branded a Yankee because I didn't speak with the southern drawl. Instead I pronounced my words clearly. Just me. Not slurred as some of my classmates did and also didn't speak rapid fire-style.

However, when I lived with my Minnesotan grandparents during my first year of college, my grandmother said she couldn't understand some of what I said. She wanted to know what I meant when I asked for a "flash water." I'd simply asked for the "flyswatter." Guess I'd become more southernized than I'd realized. I couldn't win for losing.

When I moved to the Washington, D.C. area many moons ago, I was considered to be a Yankee because of my speech style/patterns.

I've been back in Kentucky for 14 years and don't know if I'm considered a Yankee or a native.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Head Chef

Flash water……Fly Swatter! Honey child, that device is o’var…..in the hollar. LOL!

That’s great! What do you call a “carbonated beverage” such as Pepsi? By name or some other nickname.

What about a “water hose” or “ice box”?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have lived in west and still do and in the south(Georgia) when I was younger 15 years old I picked up a southern accent instead of saying Hi I learned to say Hey Yall and so on,I thought a needle fish was a Gar Fish which looks really prehistoric with a long alligator like snout and alot of teeth also called an Alligator Gar , a Nutra is a water rodent which is quite nasty as it is very destuctive but from what I understand people down south will actually eat them.From all my observations you might be able to turn a Yankee into a southerner but you can never turn a southener into a Yankee.
Oh and yes its not ice tea but *** taih,oil is url.And in Texas sh#t is sheeyeet.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I call it Pepsi, darlin'. As far as the hose and refrigerator are concerned, they're the hose and refrigerator/fridge.

My northern relatives called sodas/carbonated beverages, "pop." Not too weird, "refrigerator." Older adults said "ice box."
Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
Head Chef

OMG!

I decided to joke on my DW. She was at the “ice box” and I asked her “where is that Flash Water”.

Without bating an eye, and non-chalantly, she dug under the kitchen ink and handed me a fly swatter! LOL!

I laughed myself to tears….she thought I was crazy of course…..but I’ve finally explained it. That was great!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I have lived in west and still do and in the south(Georgia) when I was younger 15 years old I picked up a southern accent instead of saying Hi I learned to say Hey Yall and so on,I thought a needle fish was a Gar Fish which looks really prehistoric with a long alligator like snout and alot of teeth also called an Alligator Gar , a Nutra is a water rodent which is quite nasty as it is very destuctive but from what I understand people down south will actually eat them.From all my observations you might be able to turn a Yankee into a southerner but you can never turn a southener into a Yankee.
Oh and yes its not ice tea but *** taih,oil is url.And in Texas sh#t is sheeyeet.
The Needle Fish and Gar (Alligator Gar) are related I think. The needle fish I speak of are much smaller and less toothy, They love to come up to your light when you’re floundering. Harmless, but weird.

Gars on the other hand will wreck a good fishing spot and chase the Bass off. The are also tough, and if hooked, most often break your line (if you were set for bass). A Nutra….water rat…..looks like a beaver in a lot of ways…….and yeah, I’ve seen that some people do eat ‘em. Then again, some people eat Opossum! I watched a show the other night (Dirty Jobs I think????) where they used wild Nutra to feed farm raised crocodiles (dead and frozen Nutra of course).

I’ve heard of stories in the ocean where sailors were speared through the middle by large jumping needle fish. Apparently, the fish tried to jump over the bow and stabbed an unwary seamen…….odd story…..I wonder of it’s true?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I love all the different dialects in this country very interesting as far as soda goes it can be soda or pop depending on where you live.In Texas I once made a joke after my 2 month job I said I was glad the job was over and said (Im blowing this pop stand)they had no clue what I meant by pop if I had said soda they would have gotten it.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #9
Head Chef

Hey....here's a needle fish!

And here is a Gar.

An boy, do those Gar get big!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
southerner but you can never turn a southener into a Yankee.
Just read more of your post!

Yes ma’am, I’ve heard many a’time you can turn a Yankee but brimstone and high water won’t wash off the southern!

Url = Oil
Windurs = Windows
Wursh = Wash

Lordy, lordy!

What of superstitions….I SWEAR my DW is going to kill me with all of these old school southern superstitions. Things I’ve never heard of like……”If you leave your house by one door, you must come back in the house by that same door or it’s bad luck”. HUH!?!?!?!

Then there is the pocket knife thing….give it open, the guy you give it to should never close it before giving it back or it's bad luck for both.

So many…..glad I gots me a rabbit’s foot!