The Spoon Theory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this years ago and I love it. I told DH about it and ever since then, often when he helps me with something, he says, "I'm just saving you a couple of spoons."

Thanks for posting this. I really does give you a better understanding of what some people have to deal with.

Very insightful, can certainly relate. Great find, thanks for posting!

I've found that it helps, sometimes, when explaining why I can't go to the mall even 'though I don''t look sick'.

Yet yesterday, with old friends visiting from out of state, that subject came up when they asked me to go with them to a picnic today. I said, flippantly, I've used all my spoons up for this week already. The man, a very kind man, just couldn't understand the analogy "spoons" with "what I could do". :)

So the next analogy is You can't get it until you get it.

Did you suggest he read the essay? Sometimes people need the entire narrative and some time to reflect on it in order to get it.

No, I didn't but I'm sure his wife will. She totally understands chronic illness and isn't prone to allowing her husband to be 'stoopid'. :LOL:

The conversation was at dinner time and I didn't want to disrupt our meal by me reaching over the table and throttling him. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I don't see how anyone who has not read/heard the story behind the spoon theory can be expected to understand what you meant by, "I've used all my spoons for the week..."

My SIL had Lupus. So I can understand. Watching her struggle daily was so difficult. The least little injury like a mosquito bite could send her reeling. I have trouble trying to explain what Lupus is, so I can imagine how she felt. :angel:

I don't see how anyone who has not read/heard the story behind the spoon theory can be expected to understand what you meant by, "I've used all my spoons for the week..."

I agree with you. But I abbreviated my telling of the whole episode here at DC. Believe me, he had plenty of tutelage because his wife and a friend who was there also tried and tried to explain it to him. It was almost funny because no matter how it was explained he got hung up on the word 'spoons'. :rolleyes:

Maybe it had something to do with the Red Bull he drank followed by a very large Martini! :LOL: I really don't carry spoons around with me which is what I think he envisioned. Oh, now I'm off laughing again!

See--- a person CAN have fun even while suffering pain and all the other loverly things that come with a chronic illness. TeeHee!

Maybe you'll excuse him because he was 'over the limit'. That's o.k. But today he'll be sober and his wife will sit him down and explain it all again. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom