"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

I never had chicken pox as a child. When I mentioned this to my doctor, he got a surprised look on his face. About three minutes later after a quick call to the nurses station, I got a shot to prevent chicken pox. No chicken pox, no shingles. He had to explain this to me. Duh! I do worry about Pirate and Spike. They both had chicken pox twice. Each time the second time was horrible for them. Yet neither one has gotten their shingles shot.

Fortunately for today's children all those diseases that plagued them are no longer with us due to immunization. I get so angry at parents who don't believe in having their children immunized.

I am so glad I am on Medicare and have ESP working for me. I don't have to go through that circus. Although I never had to. By the time Obamacare came into effect, I was already on Medicare. But I felt for you CG. I went through it with Pirate. He is only 52 and disabled. Getting him registered was pure Hell! They kept trying to sign him up for medical treatment outside of Boston and was ignoring his request for Tufts Medical Service. Finally we gave up and went directly to the Tufts site and they signed him up immediately with appointments within a week. I can't praise them high enough.

Right now we are battling SS for his disability. He has severe neuropathy in his legs and feet. He keeps falling and I am a nervous wreck that he is going to fall outside someday on cement or on a flight of stairs.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #112
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...I do worry about Pirate and Spike. They both had chicken pox twice. Each time the second time was horrible for them. Yet neither one has gotten their shingles shot...
52 is too young for a shingles shot, according to the CDC. And as far as effectiveness? Only 51% when given to people over 60, and effectiveness decreases each year after. Long story short? Don't nag Pirate for another 8 years.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

Old 11-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
52 is too young for a shingles shot, according to the CDC. And as far as effectiveness? Only 51% when given to people over 60, and effectiveness decreases each year after. Long story short? Don't nag Pirate for another 8 years.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

There's an article in the most recent AARP newsletter that states there's a new shingles vaccine awaiting approval that will provide 97% or better protection. Our insurance currently doesn't cover shingles vaccines, even for DH, who's over 60.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 AM   #114
Master Chef

"97% effective" sounds great, but the "awaiting approval"? Not so much. I'll probably take my 64-year-old self for the old vaccine as soon as I get a round tuit. My Mom had shingles when she was in her 60s, our son had it when he was a freshman in high school. I'm seriously hoping it skips a generation.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:47 AM   #115
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
"97% effective" sounds great, but the "awaiting approval"? Not so much. I'll probably take my 64-year-old self for the old vaccine as soon as I get a round tuit. My Mom had shingles when she was in her 60s, our son had it when he was a freshman in high school. I'm seriously hoping it skips a generation.
You can have mine!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:04 AM   #116
Master Chef

Today was not looking promising. I had a trifecta of things I hate to do that needed doing: a haircut with a new stylist, shop for shoes for my cranky feet, and shop for jeans. I HATE "girl" stuff. Put me in a grocery store/kitchenware shop/Lowe's, and I'm in my glory. Clothes and shoe shopping and "beauty salon"? Not so much.

Well, 1) I love my new stylist AND the haircut she gave me.
2) I found very comfy shoes that cradle my feet like slippers but support them like shoes.
3) I liked the second pair of jean I tried on. Bonus: they are a size smaller than the ones I currently have.

All in all, it was a very good day with many things to be thankful for.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #117
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Today I am grateful for a nice, cosy WARM flat. I see that the temperature is set to drop below 0 degrees in the next 2 days here in UK.

My heart goes out to the homeless who are at risk of dying at such times. (I was one of them
in my teens).

https://youtu.be/Qt2mbGP6vFI
Old 01-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #118
Head Chef

Today I am grateful that my mum's birthday went well for her, i.e. that she was pain free. She is 95!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #119
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

That will be $600.

That is the only way it would be so cheap. Otherwise add another Zero.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #120
Master Chef

This is a 3 year old thread, and I have never seen it. How is it even possible. I come here almost daily.

Anyway. I woke up this morning. Thank G-d for that.