The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy! :LOL: If you REALLY knew me, you would know that I barely clean when I'm wide awake! :ROFLMAO: Nope, nope, Himself did himself good last night. Picked up Chinese, cleaned up the kitchen mess. I guess I'll still keep him.

Andy! :LOL: If you REALLY knew me, you would know that I barely clean when I'm wide awake! :ROFLMAO: Nope, nope, Himself did himself good last night. Picked up Chinese, cleaned up the kitchen mess. I guess I'll still keep him.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. I should have put an LOL on the end of it.

We just returned from a trip. Our family met up in Kentucky. My aging father was able to meet his second great-grandson, catch up with his first great-grandson, and facetime with his great-granddaughter. It was very special to spend time with family and hang out with Dad. I'm thankful we were able to make it work!

We've had cousins in town from Michigan for the last few days. They are building their retirement home one county over and are staying in that county. But, every evening they have either physically brought lunch (and sometimes supper) over or arranged for it to be sent to Mom and I - just because we're family, they said. We don't see them much, but when they are in the area they make sure to see us every day. They are some of the dwindling family on my dad's side, and Mom and I appreciate that they make the effort.

Family is so important, cj. I hope you all had a wonderful visit.

I'm so very thankful that I have a most glorious October day for my last garage "sale" - 72 degrees, clear skies, dry breeze. I decided last week before my two-day sale that today would be an "everything free with a donation to the food bank" day. So far I've cleared out more than half of what was left in exchange for four boxes of non-perishables and about $110.

This isn't all altruistic, though. I figure the more I get rid of, the less I have to haul to the thrift store.

IMG_20211015_130457475_HDR.jpg

Yesterday Lowes delivered the stove and microwave I'd been yearning for but couldn't afford until recently. The salesman said that they would install and remove for free, and change out the natural gas jets for the LP gas ones. The receipt said that I'd paid $30. for haul off but I accepted that without a word. They had what I wanted.

As it turned out all they were allowed to do was haul off my old stove. They were not even allowed to tough anything about gas or take out the old microwave. The guy in charge obviously felt sorry for me. I'm old and bent with a bad back. He pulled the old oven out and after I turned the gas valve off disconnected the gas hose from the oven for me. He wasn't supposed to do that.

The two delivery guys asked me who sold the stuff to me. I described him as best I could. They said that he was new. They knew who it was. He was new. I said, He was new, he didn't know and he wanted to say yes. They nodded. They said that they'd tell on him but I told them not to make it sound so bad that he got fired. He was just new and needed more training.

So there I was, with 2 appliances sitting in the middle of the kitchen that I couldn't even use. Now, I've always been used to being strong and independent but I do have wonderful neighbors who help me when I'm in a fix. All my neighbors are out of the line of sight from my piece of heaven, but Shawn is working on remodeling a little box of a house into a show piece house doing most of the work himself.

I ran up and told him the situation. He'd just installed the last of the tile and the fixtures to his fancy two person shower. He grabbed some tools and headed to my house. He worked half a day working here and when he was finished every thing was done perfectly.

Can you imagine what this would have cost me if I'd had to hire a pro? Yes, I'm thankful for my kind neighbor. I'll make his family a big pot of file gumbo which I've been craving myself and have not made because the good lump crabmeat cost a dang fortune.

I just got my second Covid jab. That means I can now travel to Ohio in a month to see my youngest son, his lovely wife and my only grandson. I´ll be going via the Dominican Republic. THEN I heard that anyone travelling from Venezuela to DR needs a yellow fever innoculation :ohmy::ohmy: Asked the nurse in the Covid place and she said: No problem! Stop by the local dispensary Monday morning and they´ll give you one! No charge!"
Whoopee!! Problem solving on a daily basis.
When I leave Ohio next year, I´m off to the UK to see my mum (94) and dad (90 - with dementia), my sis ( who was diagnosed with AVM last year and has been in hospital since March), my bro ( who´s managing to look after them all, despite disabilities) and my eldest son & wife. Life´s good as long as you look on the bright side!

I am glad I took a notion to come back to this forum.

After a fairly long break, during which nothing much happened other than Covid, I realise that food, and people all around the world, who are interested in food, are generally pretty good people to talk to.

I come from an Irish culture which is like so many others where food is so closely related to family. And family is incredibly important.

:flowers:

I am glad I took a notion to come back to this forum.

After a fairly long break, during which nothing much happened other than Covid, I realise that food, and people all around the world, who are interested in food, are generally pretty good people to talk to.

I come from an Irish culture which is like so many others where food is so closely related to family. And family is incredibly important.

:flowers:
It's great to have you back, Katy [emoji2]

On this Sunday morning, I'm thankful for a gentle rain and a warm RV, a great night's sleep after a great dinner. Life is good!
Sounds lovely. On this Sunday afternoon, I'm in the recliner nursing my recent hip replacement while DH cleans the house. Soon he'll make me lunch. I'm so thankful to have met and married him. Definitely a keeper :wub:

You do have a real Dear for a DH, GG.

Welp, when life throws you a curveball, sometimes the next pitch ends up in the zone. No, Jeff did not change his mind and buy our house. I'll admit to being cheap. I've resisted hiring people to do the work around here that Himself just doesn't "do", even though he's capable. What happened is that, after first applying for my Social Security benefits in May of last year (and asking that my application date be back-dated six months, which is the allowed maximum), I just got a notice in the mail that I will start getting monthly deposits starting next month. :w00t: AND, as extra good news, they will be taking the six months back to November of 2020. I ended up getting a chunk of money deposited into "my"* savings account equal to something like 16 months of deposits. :shock:

Time to start hiring help!

*We have two different savings accounts, one with Himself as primary, one with me as primary. But the money is both "ours".

Or as my Mom would tell my Dad: what's yours is mine, what's mine is mine. :LOL:

Last edited:
I am grateful that a local organization in the next town has a semi-regular electronics recycling day. They charge a small fee for each item you donate and collect a % of the dollars the recycling company makes after they've done their thing. We were able to clean our a large, tube style TV, two dead microwave ovens, a laptop, and a printer that doesn't print anymore...all for the "fee" of $70. If we had to have our refuse company pick any of those up - well, the TV alone probably would have cost us at least $70! :ohmy:

I'm thankful to have my car back, after 1 month in the shop!! Now, I can make appointments and run errands, without checking DH's calendar! They did a great job, even if parts take forever these days!

Back
Top Bottom