"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #221
Master Chef

rr, ask the doctor to take your BP reading again after you've been in your appointment for a while. I would have a high reading when the office nurse took it as soon as I was taken into the examining room. Then the doc took it as soon as he came in - it would be a little lower, but not much. Once we were through with my check-up and questions, he'd take it again. It was amazing at how much a difference that reading would be once I had relaxed since I was almost done with my visit!

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:44 AM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
That's like my blood pressure. The only time the doctor is on time is when they're checking my blood pressure. I never get a minute to sit down (after rushing to get there) to let it go down any. If I get there early, they're early. It's starting to get to the point where as soon as I see a blood pressure cuff, my blood pressure goes up automatically.

Yeah, I know I should post something I'm grateful for. Give me a minute, I'm thinking...
I have to check in at the desk so they can pull my chart. I sit down if there is someone at the desk already. I will even sit down when no one is at the desk. Eventually someone will see me and call me up to the desk. Gives me time to calm down.

It seems like all my doctors are located in this new building that has a long hall on the outside of the building where all the windows are. Of course they are all located at the farthest point from the elevators. Then when I do get called, my doctor is in the farthest room down that hall. I have a bad leg and I make them wait for me. By the time the doctor gets to see me, my leg looks like a balloon. The doctors have stopped asking me about it. Because I always put the blame on their location and all the walking I have to do to get to their office.

At one time I was being over medicated for my blood pressure. When the day came that they couldn't find it, (I had taken my meds just before leaving the house) is when anyone took a really good look at what I was on. they discovered I didn't need any. I have to admit, we all are a little baffled because I have already had three little (as the doctors call them) heart attacks. I no longer let them push me into doing things like walking without a rest. They all just have to wait on me. If I don't race, neither does my heart.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:18 AM   #223
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
rr, ask the doctor to take your BP reading again after you've been in your appointment for a while. I would have a high reading when the office nurse took it as soon as I was taken into the examining room. Then the doc took it as soon as he came in - it would be a little lower, but not much. Once we were through with my check-up and questions, he'd take it again. It was amazing at how much a difference that reading would be once I had relaxed since I was almost done with my visit!
Excellent advice. I always have my BP taken several times when I go to Winthrop once a month. Both standing up and sitting down when they are doing my vitals. Then it is checked again my RNP. Again another long hall to walk down. She is smart enough to know how hard that hall is for me. So she checks to see what my first vitals show, then waits to almost to the end and checks it again. Standing and sitting. Big difference from the first readings.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #224
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I can understand her wanting to wait. Your A1c is based on a thirty day cycle. I have to be the worst diabetic patient any doctor ever had. The only time I think to check my sugar level, is if I see a commercial on TV or like you just mentioning it. I stopped typing and took a reading for today. My care team is just happy that I do it at all.
When I was first diagnosed, I was in denial BIG TIME. Then I got a real bad UTI and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. From now on I try to keep in better compliance. Try being the operative word. My PCP is also pleased that I care enough to bring something like this to her attention, a lot of other patients, from what I overhear sitting in waiting rooms listening to them talk to each other, wait until their scheduled appointments to bring up any problems they have.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #225
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I don't say this nearly enough!
I am so very thankful for the wonderful friends that we
have back home in Hawaii!

We received two care packages since they were here to
visit with us and see our new home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	27901

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	27902

They're so generous!
And they know us so well, sending us the goodies
from home that we love and miss so much!

We are so blessed to have such good friends,
we can't wait to see them again!
Old 12-04-2017, 02:26 AM   #226
Master Chef

I'm thankful that my Dennis is back home with his family and friends. So many of us were so worried about him. I know Mary is very, very thankful - and relieved.

I'm thankful that last night, for the first time in nearly a week, I got a decent night's sleep. It's amazing how the body just conks out once you stop worrying about something! Fingers crossed I can make it two nights in a row.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote