"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 05:30 AM   #331
Chef Extraordinaire

What great news. Most of the time when children are in group homes, come their 18th birthday, they are tossed out of the facility with no assistance at all. If the facility is no where they took the child from, it is up the to child to find a way to get home.

Unfortunately older children are hard to adopt or even be placed in a fitting foster home.

Thank you for making my day. I can just imagine how happy she is right now. Give her a big hug from me, and let her know I know she will be a success in life. If she made it through that facility, she can accomplish anything in life she will face.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #332
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Addie, she is my brother-in-law's daughter. She is 12 years old. The Canadian child welfare system has to establish if what the German system told them is true or if it is safe for her to be with her parents. The picture of her running towards her dad with outstretched arms and then of their huge hug is starting to convince the social worker. Well, I saw the picture. The social worker saw it happen.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #333
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Addie, she is my brother-in-law's daughter. She is 12 years old. The Canadian child welfare system has to establish if what the German system told them is true or if it is safe for her to be with her parents. The picture of her running towards her dad with outstretched arms and then of their huge hug is starting to convince the social worker. Well, I saw the picture. The social worker saw it happen.
I am just thrilled she is out of there and with her family. I think the whole child welfare system stinks big time. No matter where they live and for any child.

Remember the saying. "Pictures speak a thousand words." I can' not even to see any program where a child is hurt or crying. It is really upsetting to me.

I just love a happy ending!
Old 06-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #334
Executive Chef

I had about 50 goose eggs incubating. It all went south for reasons I won't get into now. My thankfulness??

I'm piercing and blowing them out to sell, carve, paint AND I have not hit a rotten one.... yet.

I'm very thankful.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #335
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I had about 50 goose eggs incubating. It all went south for reasons I won't get into now. My thankfulness??

I'm piercing and blowing them out to sell, carve, paint AND I have not hit a rotten one.... yet.

I'm very thankful.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #336
Master Chef

Dragn, so sorry the eggs didn't make it, but would love to see pics of your finished craft!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #337
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

Dragn, so sorry the eggs didn't make it, but would love to see pics of your finished craft!
Ooh, ooh - me too!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #338
Chef Extraordinaire

If they are even close to the ones I have seen, they should be beautiful. At one exhibition I attended, the artist even had tiny robin eggs carved out. I am totally lacking in artistic skills. Only embroidery. I envy folks that can do things like that.

Even if I had a whole set of straight rulers, I still couldn't draw a straight line.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #339
Executive Chef

LOL - Well folks, don't hold your breath! I'm just learning and it is hard to know where to start with some of them.

Trolling the internet looking at designs. Those Faberge eggs are to die for and some of the carved ones are incredible. Don't think I'll come even close - but I'll have fun trying.

Actually found out that my Dremel is not quite fast enough to do some of the really intricate carving. That's OK though as I doubt I'll ever really get that far.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #340
Executive Chef

I finally finished blowing out all the eggs - no disasters!

Thankful thankful...

will starting a new thread with some pictures.