The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two pound ring-necked doves on my deck during the day and I think I saw a 1 pound mouse riding a 5 pound squirrel the other day!

Pain is being managed sufficiently, for now. As Himself said, "better living through chemistry". :LOL:
I have only just read about your DH's predicament here (perhaps I should be more attentive/read other posts more than I do) and sorry to hear of its ongoing history and that it has scuppered your vacation plans.

Re. pain management - something I have found to be true is that the more physical pain is focused on, the worse it feels. So, as much as possible, it is beneficial to try and take the mind off of it.

Last edited:
Squeee! I have a small Mad Bluebird tray in the bathroom. It's where I'll set down a piece of jewelry and then forget where I put it...:ermm:

I just picked up our order of bird seeds "today" (Wednesday). The local bird store gives a discount of around 15% for a couple weeks in the autumn. I'm afraid our 80# of mixed seed and 75# of black oil sunflower seed will be gone before the snow flies. We went through the 5# bag of mixed I bought a week ago to tide us over until the order came in. I swear we have Pigs with Wings in our neighborhood. Not even mentioning the squirrels who eat 10x their weight every day. :glare:

If you live near a feed/farm store that caters to farmers, not the horsey set, pick up a bag of medium cracked corn to mix in with your bird seed. In this area it runs around $9.00 per fifty pound bag and $15.00 per hundred pound bag.

Maybe even open an amusement park!

https://youtu.be/wHI7EC9SCnE

Last edited:
Those are great prices on the cracked corn, Aunt Bea. Unfortunately, the garden center we had in town closed up - they used to have bird seed and extras for great prices. Alas, no more. The bird specialty store we deal with (not a chain store) has fair-enough prices. It's just that we live in a semi-rural area with all the comforts of home for the birds - scruffy woods, water, food...

We did get cracked corn to feed our flock of wild turkeys when we first lived here. They would see us coming with the bucket of corn and gather around the huge, flat rock we used for their "table", parting like the sea for Moses so we could get right up to the rock. Never got nibbled by a turkey, either! :LOL:

...Re. pain management - something I have found to be true is that the more physical pain is focused on, the worse it feels. So, as much as possible, it is beneficial to try and take the mind off of it.
Thanks for the hint, creative. Unfortunately, this isn't Himself's first rodeo when it comes to back issues. He does as much as he can to not think of it. Sadly, he's had a very rough time of it today. I'll be beating down the door at the doctor's office tomorrow since I'll be out in that area anyway.

Squeee! I have a small Mad Bluebird tray in the bathroom. It's where I'll set down a piece of jewelry and then forget where I put it...:ermm:

I just picked up our order of bird seeds "today" (Wednesday). The local bird store gives a discount of around 15% for a couple weeks in the autumn. I'm afraid our 80# of mixed seed and 75# of black oil sunflower seed will be gone before the snow flies. We went through the 5# bag of mixed I bought a week ago to tide us over until the order came in. I swear we have Pigs with Wings :LOL: in our neighborhood. Not even mentioning the squirrels who eat 10x their weight every day. :glare:

;) Wow! When Pigs Fly? So it is more than just a saying. It is for real! Gee, you are lucky. You"re the first person that I have heard of that really sees them.

I have a loaf of bread that does not taste as good as it sounds. So it will be going out and spread around for the birdies today.

We have a resident that buys seed in the winter. She evidently saw me one time tossing some broken up bread for the birds. Later that day I found a hand written note with pictures of birds slipped under my door thanking me for feeding God's little creature. I didn't think what I did was extraordinary. I just hate to see food go to waste. And I do think of them when the cold winter winds come.

On our patio we have a huge tree that is home to what seems like hundreds of those "pigs that can fly." Be out there just as dawn is breaking, and you can't hear yourself think for the racket they make when they are just waking up. There are some residents that will feed them out by the sidewalk. But it seems like the squirrels get to it first. So I feed them in back of the building. No trees there for the squirrels to run up with their ill gotten bounty. And no acorns there for them. That little note she sent to me, made me think and I will be feeding "God's little creatures" more this winter. I thought that little note of thanks was so gracious. :angel:

Gee, I am so sorry to hear about Himself and back pain. Here's hoping they find the right treatment in a hurry.

When Poo was a Paramedic, he was assigned to an ambulance that just had new rear springs installed. That made that step to get into the back of the ambulance way too high and he hurt his back really bad while trying to step up and still keep control of the gurney. It took a couple of more paramedics getting hurt before the company sent the vehicle back for additional repairs. To this day Poo and some of his friends from when he worked there are still in pain. I hope this is not the case with Himself. Here's hoping that this is the very last time he has this problem.

One day when Poo was in a lot of pain with his back, I got out the heating pad, placed it on the floor and told him to lay flat on it for about ten minutes. All of a sudden I hear a blood curdling scream from him. The pain had gotten worse, not better. I was about to call the ambulance for him, and all of a sudden the pain was gone and he was on his feet feeling fine. I told him to do that out of desperation. I had no idea that it would work on him. Now it is his go to remedy for when his back is bothering him. Would I recommend it for someone else? NO! I really had no idea of what I was telling him to do would work. And my recommendation to others is always, "You should see your doctor about that." :angel:

Today I am grateful for a friend giving me a link to watch free films online. Youtube used to do this but now mostly goes to another link to subscribe to.

I share it with you all here (for those that may not already know about it)

www.xmovies8.org

Last edited:
The Health Connector sign-up

Yes, you are reading that correctly. If you were around for my rant about trying to sign up for my medical insurance plan back when the "Affordable Health Act" went into effect, you know how odd today's post is.

Last year at this time when I had to re-register for health insurance for 2015 I said to Himself "I like my plan. Why do I have to shop again? Why can't I just stay here and get the same coverage next year?" I guess TPTB in charge of the Health Connector heard many people muttering things like that last year because that's what I can do this year! :w00t: I checked the price - this coming year's premium will actually be a little lower than I have been paying this year. :w00t2: I'll make a quick check with the insurance company to make sure the coverages are the same when I call to make sure my shingles shot is covered if administered at the pharmacy, and then I can ignore it until I'm closing in on Medicare age. I'm REALLY good at "ignoring" things. :LOL:

Yes, you are reading that correctly. If you were around for my rant about trying to sign up for my medical insurance plan back when the "Affordable Health Act" went into effect, you know how odd today's post is.

Last year at this time when I had to re-register for health insurance for 2015 I said to Himself "I like my plan. Why do I have to shop again? Why can't I just stay here and get the same coverage next year?" I guess TPTB in charge of the Health Connector heard many people muttering things like that last year because that's what I can do this year! :w00t: I checked the price - this coming year's premium will actually be a little lower than I have been paying this year. :w00t2: I'll make a quick check with the insurance company to make sure the coverages are the same when I call to make sure my shingles shot is covered if administered at the pharmacy, and then I can ignore it until I'm closing in on Medicare age. I'm REALLY good at "ignoring" things. :LOL:

Same in NY, no rant this year!

I called to renew/re-certify this morning and although the premium for 2016 went up the cost per month went down slightly. The process is definitely smoother this year than in years past.

I had my shingles shot last year, I had a scrip from my doctor and the local pharmacy did it at no charge to me.

I never had chicken pox as a child. When I mentioned this to my doctor, he got a surprised look on his face. About three minutes later after a quick call to the nurses station, I got a shot to prevent chicken pox. No chicken pox, no shingles. He had to explain this to me. Duh! I do worry about Pirate and Spike. They both had chicken pox twice. Each time the second time was horrible for them. Yet neither one has gotten their shingles shot.

Fortunately for today's children all those diseases that plagued them are no longer with us due to immunization. I get so angry at parents who don't believe in having their children immunized.

I am so glad I am on Medicare and have ESP working for me. I don't have to go through that circus. Although I never had to. By the time Obamacare came into effect, I was already on Medicare. But I felt for you CG. I went through it with Pirate. He is only 52 and disabled. Getting him registered was pure Hell! They kept trying to sign him up for medical treatment outside of Boston and was ignoring his request for Tufts Medical Service. Finally we gave up and went directly to the Tufts site and they signed him up immediately with appointments within a week. I can't praise them high enough.

Right now we are battling SS for his disability. He has severe neuropathy in his legs and feet. He keeps falling and I am a nervous wreck that he is going to fall outside someday on cement or on a flight of stairs. :angel:

...I do worry about Pirate and Spike. They both had chicken pox twice. Each time the second time was horrible for them. Yet neither one has gotten their shingles shot...
52 is too young for a shingles shot, according to the CDC. And as far as effectiveness? Only 51% when given to people over 60, and effectiveness decreases each year after. Long story short? Don't nag Pirate for another 8 years. ;)

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

52 is too young for a shingles shot, according to the CDC. And as far as effectiveness? Only 51% when given to people over 60, and effectiveness decreases each year after. Long story short? Don't nag Pirate for another 8 years. ;)

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

There's an article in the most recent AARP newsletter that states there's a new shingles vaccine awaiting approval that will provide 97% or better protection. Our insurance currently doesn't cover shingles vaccines, even for DH, who's over 60.

"97% effective" sounds great, but the "awaiting approval"? Not so much. I'll probably take my 64-year-old self for the old vaccine as soon as I get a round tuit. My Mom had shingles when she was in her 60s, our son had it when he was a freshman in high school. I'm seriously hoping it skips a generation. :LOL:

"97% effective" sounds great, but the "awaiting approval"? Not so much. I'll probably take my 64-year-old self for the old vaccine as soon as I get a round tuit. My Mom had shingles when she was in her 60s, our son had it when he was a freshman in high school. I'm seriously hoping it skips a generation. :LOL:

You can have mine!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

images

Today was not looking promising. I had a trifecta of things I hate to do that needed doing: a haircut with a new stylist, shop for shoes for my cranky feet, and shop for jeans. I HATE "girl" stuff. Put me in a grocery store/kitchenware shop/Lowe's, and I'm in my glory. Clothes and shoe shopping and "beauty salon"? Not so much.

Well, 1) I love my new stylist AND the haircut she gave me.
2) I found very comfy shoes that cradle my feet like slippers but support them like shoes.
3) I liked the second pair of jean I tried on. Bonus: they are a size smaller than the ones I currently have.

All in all, it was a very good day with many things to be thankful for. :heart:

Today I am grateful for a nice, cosy WARM flat. I see that the temperature is set to drop below 0 degrees in the next 2 days here in UK.

My heart goes out to the homeless who are at risk of dying at such times. (I was one of them
in my teens).

https://youtu.be/Qt2mbGP6vFI

This is a 3 year old thread, and I have never seen it. How is it even possible. I come here almost daily.

Anyway. I woke up this morning. Thank G-d for that. :)

Back
Top Bottom