The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thank the lord that I have never had to have any surgery, other than having my wisdom teeth yanked back when I was in college. My current doctor can't believe it. Apparently most folks my age have had something operated on.

Good thing to be thankful for, Dawg. Besides my wisdom teeth, the only "extraction" I needed was when our two kids were being born...two months early...both breech. All those situations lead to a C-section. Otherwise, knock on wood, I've been pretty healthy, too. I'm starting to think, though, that once I hit 65 later on this year, it could all be downhill. :ermm: Fast. :ohmy:

I am thankful for my life. I'm so very thankful for the mother who found me and my loving family.

I'm thankful for Carl and Anna.

I cannot think of anything I am not thankful for but yet of my Uncle Nicu passing away. His passing has been to be so grievous and so very difficult because he was of so loved by so many people.

Still I think as he loved me, I love him and I shall strive to be of his niece who he loved and to continue to live to his expectations.

Our hosts's home is quiet, and Mamma is asleep very well. I'm thankful for my friends so very very much.

Perhaps I am thankful for so much, yes?

I thank the lord that I have never had to have any surgery, other than having my wisdom teeth yanked back when I was in college. My current doctor can't believe it. Apparently most folks my age have had something operated on.

Dawg, I think the only part of my body that is scar free are my feet. I have a massive skin graft on the front of one leg and a scar from a pig bite on the other. And those are the two minor surgeries I have had. I lost count many years ago. And now I am facing having my gall bladder removed. I still have all four of my wisdom teeth. They were way up in my jaw near my ears. But since I had to have all my teeth removed, they have had room to go on the march. I figure next year they will have to come out. They aren't bothering me right now. But who knows. :angel:

Dawg, I think the only part of my body that is scar free are my feet. I have a massive skin graft on the front of one leg and a scar from a pig bite on the other. And those are the two minor surgeries I have had. I lost count many years ago. And now I am facing having my gall bladder removed. I still have all four of my wisdom teeth. They were way up in my jaw near my ears. But since I had to have all my teeth removed, they have had room to go on the march. I figure next year they will have to come out. They aren't bothering me right now. But who knows. :angel:
That all sounds horrendous Addie but, since this is a positive thread, do you have something that you are thankful for?

Today I am thankful for being pain free whilst walking, enabling me to get more done/venture further afield. :)

(I am prone to getting random/sudden hip twinges which stop me in my tracks and I have to wait until it subsides. This means that I cannot rely on the time it takes me to get anywhere. I have been given exercises for this condition which help a bit).

Last edited:
That all sounds horrendous Addie but, since this is a positive thread, do you have something that you are thankful for?

My son Poo and I had a long talk one time about all the surgeries I have had. He was there when I had the open heart watching it and was concerned because it turned into a complicated surgery. I told him that I never worry about any surgery I am facing. I always go into the OR with a positive attitude. I know it is going to be all right. And I always come out just fine. In fact when I had my eye surgery, I came to and started singing Christmas carols. Before they wheeled me out I had everyone in there singing with me in harmony. My next surgery is going to be for my gall bladder. No problem. :angel:

I am so thankful we have a warm house tonight. It might have a few drafty places, but on a night like this (5 below and dropping fast) it's a snug haven from the elements.

Yeah. For surviving all the surgeries including open heart. I now have five stents in there. And next week I have to have two of my four wisdom teeth removed. As long as they give me plenty of Novacain, I am not worried. Then I have to get a new plate made. This is going to be a busy winter and spring for me. And I never forget to be thankful for my kids. They really look after me. :angel:

My mother recently had her 95th birthday. I am thankful that she is still with us, although now bedridden and in a good care home that we visit daily.

Today I am thankful for those that support and understand me.
color.gif

I just perused Facebook. So many of my friends are suffering physical problems. Many health issues. I feel blessed that I am upright and relatively healthy. And I have a beagle.

I know what you mean, Dawg. I'm thankful I got through my health issues last year (although they're chronic and ongoing) and am doing much better this year.

Happy you're doing better, GG! I have a feeling that the key to health in older age is having a beagle.

Last edited:
Yes! Delighted to hear that you're doing better GG.

A friend of mine's doctor says all older folks should get a dog, for their health.
The elderly seem to find gardening something that gives them great pleasure too. (Of course there are various ways of managing a garden, e.g. low maintenance).
color.gif

I am extremely thankful for one special person in my life right now, and that's my daughter. Ever since my wife and I separated, our daughter has been my superhero. Although only 23 years old, she has the maturity, wisdom, and grace of someone much older.

I have no other family to speak of. My parents have long since passed and the one brother I've never been close to.

In the last month, she's come to check in on me often, just to make sure I'm doing okay and that I have everything I need. I honestly don't know what I would have done without her these past weeks.

I am extremely thankful for one special person in my life right now, and that's my daughter. Ever since my wife and I separated, our daughter has been my superhero. Although only 23 years old, she has the maturity, wisdom, and grace of someone much older.

I have no other family to speak of. My parents have long since passed and the one brother I've never been close to.

In the last month, she's come to check in on me often, just to make sure I'm doing okay and that I have everything I need. I honestly don't know what I would have done without her these past weeks.

So glad your daughter is there for you, Steve. She sounds like an outstanding young lady.

It's great when you see relations 'stepping up to the plate' as it were.

I did this for my mother. We are poles apart in nature (she is a capitalist and doesn't understand me since I am spiritual, i.e. having non materialistic values). She has 3 children - I am the eldest. After her stroke I started to tend to her needs e.g. get shopping, medication etc. Then her health deteriorated further and so I gave up my most valued possession, my freedom, to live with her. I did so for 2 years, willingly, until it became necessary for her to be in a (good) care home e.g. she could no longer get up the stairs. It was such bliss to get my life back and return to my flat.

We all visit her regularly - she is one of the lucky ones there...so many do not have visitors for whatever reasons.

Well, I would certainly hope I'm not being a burden to my daughter, or that she's only visiting me because of some sense of family obligation.

On the contrary, she seems to miss my cooking most because, oftentimes, the first thing out of her mouth when she visits is "What are we doing for dinner?" (her mother doesn't really cook) :chef:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom