The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She loves her dad, plain and simple. Not obligatory visits. And of course, your cooking!

Last edited:
Well, I would certainly hope I'm not being a burden to my daughter, or that she's only visiting me because of some sense of family obligation.

On the contrary, she seems to miss my cooking most because, oftentimes, the first thing out of her mouth when she visits is "What are we doing for dinner?" (her mother doesn't really cook) :chef:
I hope this was not in response to my post? As mentioned, I did say 'willingly'.
Nevertheless, it was great to get my life back when the time eventually came to do so.

Last edited:
I'm thankful for my son's and granddaughter, and others. I've been blessed with good friends and sometimes don't appreciate them.

I'm thankful I found a church I love.

I didn't realise my post would be misunderstood. Perhaps I should have mentioned that, although my mother and I were poles apart in our beliefs, in the 2 years that I was her full time carer, we became very close. We also found that we had much in common also e.g. cooking, current affairs and gardening.

I consider myself quite a good cook and, although she invariably sat at the table saying she had no appetite, she nearly always finished off quite a large plate of food!
color.gif

Last edited:
It's great when you see relations 'stepping up to the plate' as it were.

We all visit her regularly - she is one of the lucky ones there...so many do not have visitors for whatever reasons.

So true here also. Although in this building you have to be self sufficient in order to live here. I guess a lot of the children think that if Mom or Dad are taking care of themselves, they don't need a visit. Oh how wrong. Loneliness is the worst illness of all. :angel:

So true here also. Although in this building you have to be self sufficient in order to live here. I guess a lot of the children think that if Mom or Dad are taking care of themselves, they don't need a visit. Oh how wrong. Loneliness is the worst illness of all. :angel:
Ruling out location, i.e. that their children may live far away, I think consideration of parents develops more with age. It is more to be expected that young adults will be more self centred.

Ruling out location, i.e. that their children may live far away, I think consideration of parents develops more with age. It is more to be expected that young adults will be more self centred.

At our age, most of us have children in their 40's and up. So there is no excuse for neglect. Sure some are located on the other side of the country. Those are the ones who always show up for holidays. The ones that live in the same part of the city or just around the corner, can't be bothered. :angel:

Today I am thankful for being able to walk briskly without any hip twinges (that stop me in my tracks)!
Felt great!
icon_cheers.png

creative, isn't it fun when you can walk like the younger version of yourself? Love it!

...I think consideration of parents develops more with age. It is more to be expected that young adults will be more self centred.
That's a really broad statement. In many cases, people in their 20's and 30's into their 50's are busy with raising children. From when our kids were in 4th grade all the way through high school they each were involved in sports, scouts (her), community theatre (him) and various other pursuits. Himself's parents lived in FL, a 1000 mile trip from our house, and my own parents were about 25 miles away. When our kids were little, we were at the folks house several time a week. "Daddy" worked just a couple mile from my parents, so we'd all go to work with Himself and spend the day with Grandma and Grandpa. But as the kids got older and more involved, it took planning on our part to make sure we still had quality time with my parents and spend a summer vacation or holiday here and there with his folks. But we did it because 1) my parents were a lot of fun to be around and 2) our kids and my parents were great friends. Miss my folks...a lot. Blessed every year I had them.

That's a really broad statement. In many cases, people in their 20's and 30's into their 50's are busy with raising children. From when our kids were in 4th grade all the way through high school they each were involved in sports, scouts (her), community theatre (him) and various other pursuits. Himself's parents lived in FL, a 1000 mile trip from our house, and my own parents were about 25 miles away. When our kids were little, we were at the folks house several time a week. "Daddy" worked just a couple mile from my parents, so we'd all go to work with Himself and spend the day with Grandma and Grandpa. But as the kids got older and more involved, it took planning on our part to make sure we still had quality time with my parents and spend a summer vacation or holiday here and there with his folks. But we did it because 1) my parents were a lot of fun to be around and 2) our kids and my parents were great friends. Miss my folks...a lot. Blessed every year I had them.
Yes that's a good, valid point that I overlooked.

It didn't apply to me though - I have always remained single and without children by choice.
(I adore the innocence of young children though - just not screaming babies!)

Last edited:
I'm shaking like a leaf with thankfulness this morning after a phone call asking if my grown grandson is alright. I didn't know for sure, so his Dad (my son) spoke with him at work, and he is fine.
It turns out that a young man his age, with the exact same first and last name was killed in this area on a motorcycle. What in the world are the chances of that?
Our Jacob is safe and sound, and another Jacob is gone. I can imagine what his family is going through and my thoughts and prayers are with them in this terrible time. Please remember them also.
Thank you Lord, for our Jacob.

That is terrifying, Kay! So glad your Jacob is fine, so sad for the other Jacob and his family.

I'm shaking like a leaf with thankfulness this morning after a phone call asking if my grown grandson is alright. I didn't know for sure, so his Dad (my son) spoke with him at work, and he is fine.
It turns out that a young man his age, with the exact same first and last name was killed in this area on a motorcycle. What in the world are the chances of that?
Our Jacob is safe and sound, and another Jacob is gone. I can imagine what his family is going through and my thoughts and prayers are with them in this terrible time. Please remember them also.
Thank you Lord, for our Jacob.

What a horrible way to get notice of a family member being seriously hurt. Whatever happened to going to the home and telling them in person? At least if the news is meant for you, there is someone standing there to see you through the first minutes of shock.

I am so glad to hear that your family member is safe and sound. :angel:

What a horrible way to get notice of a family member being seriously hurt. Whatever happened to going to the home and telling them in person? At least if the news is meant for you, there is someone standing there to see you through the first minutes of shock.

I am so glad to hear that your family member is safe and sound. :angel:

The person asked if her grandson was all right. That sounds like a friend heard something, maybe on the news, and called her, not the police calling to give her bad news.

Last edited:
Kayelle, that must have been a real heart-stopping phone call. I'm so glad you know that your Jacob is fine. Like you said, it's a very sad day for the family of the Jacob who died. I'll keep them in my thoughts today. You too, as you enjoy the blessing of a still-intact family.

I hope Souschef has been able to peel you off of your ceiling. ;)

The person asked if her grandson was all right. That sounds like a friend heard something, maybe on the news, and called her, not the police calling to give her bad news.

That's exactly right GG. The call came from my late husbands sister (Jacob's great aunt), asking if he was all right. She sounded panicked because her son had heard "something" on the news about him, but she wouldn't tell me what, only to find out if Jacob was ok. When that was confirmed I called her back and we were both practically hysterical with gratitude it wasn't him. Jacob is my first grandchild, and the day he was born flashed before my eyes. Now that my heart rate has returned to normal, I'm still amazed by the whole thing.
Thanks for listening, and all the good wishes. Life can change in a flash.

That's exactly right GG. The call came from my late husbands sister (Jacob's great aunt), asking if he was all right. She sounded panicked because her son had heard "something" on the news about him, but she wouldn't tell me what, only to find out if Jacob was ok. When that was confirmed I called her back and we were both practically hysterical with gratitude it wasn't him. Jacob is my first grandchild, and the day he was born flashed before my eyes. Now that my heart rate has returned to normal, I'm still amazed by the whole thing.
Thanks for listening, and all the good wishes. Life can change in a flash.

Whew, what an ordeal. Again, I'm really happy your grandson is well. Very sorry for what the other family is going through, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom