The TRAVELING APRON has ended.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and yet an even newer list!

I'm so glad everyone is happy!:)

here's the current list (changed yet again!)

jkath
buckytom
pdswife
Barbara L
Maidrite

licia
GB
Alix
Ken
PA Baker
Home chef
ronjohn55
BigDog
kimbabyi
phinz
SierraCook
Corinne
texasgirl
luvsfood
Michellemarie
Jenny
Raven
Erik
Cara ***
Jikoni***
Deadly Sushi
urmaniac13***
Dina
corazon90
Constance
cheese-lovers***
JMediger
jpmcgrew

Last edited:
Yes. But I think cheese lovers is from Australia.

I could be wrong.. It's happened once or twice before.

Here's a question, mainly for those across the pond from us.

What is the cost of postal service over there?

Here's my thought process. If (and that may be a big if) it is significantly cheaper to send things intracontinentially as it is here in the states, we ought to arrange the list so that whenever the apron finds its way across the pond, it stays over there until having met all our compadres over there participating in the event. Then it finds its way back stateside. There would only be two major expenses of it crossing the pond.

Then again, if the cost is high since it would still be international mail even though it is intracontinential, other plans would be better.

Maybe I should stop thinking . . . . . at least "out loud" . . . . . . sometimes I complicate things when I do.

Anyways, food for thought, if it's worth it.

I didn't think of this earlier, but, WHAT IF... from now, everyone puts a dollar in a pocket and when we get to Cara and the others, there will be money to send it. Whatever isn't used can be added to by them to get it mailed back here?

What about exchange rate? I don't know about all of the currency used over yonder 'cross the pond, but I believe the Euro is beating the pants off the USD.

I do think it is a good idea, but still question the cost of postal service over there between countries. It may cost just as much to send it to another country on the same continent as it does to send it 'cross the pond.

I'm going to let you guys decide on this one. I've just checked the usps site, and it really is a hefty amount to send back and forth. I've seen conflicting postings on the cost, but the package is around 2 pounds. We shouldn't really repackage the apron to fit in a large envelope because there is a considerable possibility that it and the other items inside will not fare well.

Here's the site: http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=0061calculatepostage

Sorry about the wet blanket of news, guys. I really thought tx's idea was very nice.

Mind you again, these are US Postal prices. We don't know what postal service costs 'cross the pond. Just what it costs us to get it there.

[SIZE=-1]Mailing Services[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2](Show Dimensions)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Estimated[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
Delivery Time*
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Price[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Global Express Guaranteed® Document Service[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]See Service Guide Before Mailing[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]2 - 3 Days[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$48.50[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Global Express Guaranteed® Non-Document Service[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]See Service Guide Before Mailing[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]2 - 3 Days[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Calculate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Global Express Mail™ (EMS)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3 - 5 Days[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$30.55[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Airmail Letter Post[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4 - 7 Days[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$14.00[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Airmail Parcel Post[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4 - 10 Days[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$20.05[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Economy (Surface) Letter Post[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4 - 6 Weeks[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$6.85[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Economy (Surface) Parcel Post[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2](Rate for pieces 5 pounds or less)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4 - 6 Weeks[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$19.25[/SIZE]
*Designed to be delivered in the number of business days specified for each service depending on origin and destination.​

This was putting in Italy as destination, with jkath's suggested weight of 2 pounds.

texasgirl said:
If one of them can post their zip codes, we can get a better idea for the usps shipping.

When I got the rates above, I did not enter a zip code. When I changed from domestic to international, it took the zip code option away.

$7 USD isn't bad, but 4 to 6 weeks to get there? Uf-dah! :ermm:

When I did international on ours, it still gave the zip code and I just put in one for Hannover to see what it came up with and Priority showed from my post office to that one was $14. I don't know, but, it sounds like it depends on the rates of each state?

okay... I just checked Franks parcel he got last week from the USA :mrgreen:
it was sent by USPS Global Priority Mail from New Mexico to 30539 Hannover, Germany
the weight was about 3 pounds, but the USPS package says anything up to 4 pounds can be sent with it...
the total amount was $12,75... maybe $3 for package? as USPS.com just says $9,50 for a flat rate envelope large........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom