"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Head Chef

It's stressful to feed yourself and others?

Sorry but I must be an old fart and don't understand stress in this day and age.

I see where money and/or lack thereof can be a concern. But as a teacher in a business class I took eons ago said. "Chicken necks and backs can be mighty tasty when they need to".

Not having pot's and pans or a decent heat source is a problem.

Sorry if this sounds cold but what money there is should be used for the basics. How many months of the latest and greatest smart phone bill would it take to buy a set of pots and pans at Wallyworld. Last time I checked a cheap set was around $39.95. Yes you need a stove to use them but even a cheap hotplate can be had for $50.00. Yes not the best but serviceable.

And a sharp knife? Steel+stone+a few minutes =sharp knife.

Whiny, picky, and ungrateful eaters?

Here I am again showing what an old fart I am.
As my father used to say "Well if you don't like it you don't have to eat it. This is what I'm providing for you so take it or go get your own". Let me tell you. Lot's of things tasted just fine after that.

Yes I understand that many folks don't view cooking as enjoyable as those who tend to frequent cooking boards such as DC. But to see feeding yourself and yours as a burden and stressful is beyond me. Eating out is one thing but to claim it's all you can do is another.

Guess all the above says I don't buy the premise of the article.

Well you did ask "What do you think?"

Old 09-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Master Chef

IMO if you do a little advance planning and preparation getting dinner on the table is no big deal. For me it would take more time and cause more aggravation to swing into the grocery store during rush hour to pick up a rotisserie chicken, salad, chips and dessert than it does to go home and put something together from a well stocked kitchen.

I also admit it depends on the people involved. If you are feeding a family then it should be all hands on deck without any fuss. Even little kids can put the napkins on the table or perform some other small chore. Delegate and let them develop their own way of doing things, don't micro manage the troops. If they screw it up they will have another chance to get it right tomorrow!

I suppose another option would be for everyone in the house to just microwave a frozen meal or fix a bowl of cereal and eat it in their rooms in front of the computer while watching a rerun of the Walton's.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
IMO if you do a little advance planning and preparation getting dinner on the table is no big deal. For me it would take more time and cause more aggravation to swing into the grocery store during rush hour to pick up a rotisserie chicken, salad, chips and dessert than it does to go home and put something together from a well stocked kitchen.

I also admit it depends on the people involved. If you are feeding a family then it should be all hands on deck without any fuss. Even little kids can put the napkins on the table or perform some other small chore. Delegate and let them develop their own way of doing things, don't micro manage the troops. If they screw it up they will have another chance to get it right tomorrow!

I suppose another option would be for everyone in the house to just microwave a frozen meal or fix a bowl of cereal and eat it in their rooms in front of the computer while watching a rerun of the Walton's.
I like your thinking AB.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Zagut, I'm an old fart too, but I see the difficulty where someone hasn't learned to cook.

Some people don't even get the basics, and then, mealtime becomes a difficult challenge, plus dinnertime whiney (tired) kids who don't feel they're getting enough attention.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
Executive Chef

She is obviously not in to it, for whatever reasons. She should stop telling others how to think......that's what I think...
Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I think it is important that we, as a culture, strive to have an ideology that promotes, family interaction, healthy eating and knowledge of our food from farm to table.
I think it is much more important than extracurricular activities(who is going to Jazz dance after they turn 19?), hanging with friends. And just as important as school, IMHO. Knowledge of food, its origins and preparations, how to get the best you can afford, is a life skill that people will need to survive for the rest of their lives. Kids need to grow up seeing that at home to realize how easy it is if you show interest and apply a little bit of effort.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Zagut, I'm an old fart too, but I see the difficulty where someone hasn't learned to cook.

Some people don't even get the basics, and then, mealtime becomes a difficult challenge, plus dinnertime whiney (tired) kids who don't feel they're getting enough attention.
I understand not everyone can cook tasty meals but isn't cooking a rather basic skill?

Baby steps at first and after a few fall downs it becomes easier.

Isn't that how we learn?

Microwave Hotdogs as an example. I make them a lot when I want quick eats. Yes not Gourmet (A point that can be disputed) but not difficult to make. Chop an onion, add mustard or whatever you desire. I usually just use a slice of bread so buns aren't required. Why go out and expend monies needed for other basics in life when it can be done at home? I won't add the value of family time.

Aunt Bea, Why would they be watching the Walton's when they could be viewing reruns of Gilligans Island, McHales Navy, or Andy Griffith instead?

Rocklobster,
Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post

Aunt Bea, Why would they be watching the Walton's when they could be viewing reruns of Gilligans Island, McHales Navy, or Andy Griffith instead?
I'm afraid I have not kept up with modern television.

Feel free to watch whatever you like, just remember to delete your browsing history!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #19
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Interesting topic. Much of the article draws contrasts based on income. In one passage the author compared a family living in a hotel room to a middle class home. To me there are more things than being unable to cook a meal for your family wrong with that picture.

It's more about choices and priorities. I cook for the family on a daily basis, work a full time job and so does Mrs 40. Stress is going to enter your life from one vector or another no matter what you do. Each of us has to learn to make lemonade with life's lemons in their own way.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm a firm believer that you make time for the things you want to do. If you have "no time to cook a family dinner", it's because you've decided you'd rather do something else.

Tags
cook