The Tyranny of the Home-Cooked Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things are different today, I hear every mother say, cooking fresh food for her husband's such a drag, so she buys an instant cake and she burns a frozen steak, and goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper and two help her on her way, get her through her busy day

Things are different today, I hear every mother say, cooking fresh food for her husband's such a drag, so she buys an instant cake and she burns a frozen steak, and goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper and two help her on her way, get her through her busy day

You hear this from every mother? What kind of neighborhood do you live in? Are there no happy folks there at all? :angel:

Time and place have much to do with understanding.

As do 60's song lyrics. ;)

I am afraid you have completely lost me. When it comes to songs of that era, I have no clue. I was too busy with a houseful of kids to be listening to music. :angel:

I am afraid you have completely lost me. When it comes to songs of that era, I have no clue. I was too busy with a houseful of kids to be listening to music. :angel:

Addie, I'm lost 99.9% of the time. :LOL:

Click TL's link to get up to date. ;)

Sorry, I was never part of that world. The only time I ever took a mind altering drug was the day I got news that my daughter had brain cancer. I ask for one little pill and they gave me three. I still have two. If I ever find them, they will be going in the trash. :angel:

Mind altering drugs and music are two separate things.

One has nothing to do with the other.

You didn't listen to the Stones is cool.

Not all that did used mind altering drugs.

Although I was more of a Beatles, and then folk music, sort of person, even I recognized the words as a Rolling Stone song Zagut. Addie, you don't have to give up music even when you have a house full of kids. I listened to the kids music the entire time they were growing up and at home. Had a few song meanings explained to me by my son once or twice (you mean "you got to keep 'em separated" is about GANGS? :ermm: ) but we've always been surrounded by music in our house. Like a soundtrack to life. I grew up listening to Mom's 8-tracks playing Engelbert Humperdink and Frank Sinatra, and now I'll still listen to the pop stations just to find out what today's kids like. Well, unless it's Justin Beiber. :sick: Then I pop in my own CD.

it's a little like food. ya gotta listen to/play a little of all kinds of music, and not make a big deal about the ones they like and you don't, and vice versa.

:)

or, you can always make them eat food they hate until they like your music. :devilish:

both work.

:bangin:

lol, yeah. sorta like jewish music.

hmm, i don't think i've ever drawn that parallel in my mind before.

uh oh, the next time i'm in temple i might do this: :punk:

Four kids had their own radio/record player. So the rule was you each use your headphones or take it outside. Having four different songs blasting throughout the house was not conducive to a peaceful home. The large stereo was in the living room and I would use that when the kids were in school. I usually played classical music. When the kids came home, I shut it off. The same rule applied to me and to them. Peace and quiet. I had a small radio that sat on the kitchen table. That I used for "no school" alerts. That is where I got my news and weather at five o'clock while making supper. That got shut off during the meal. Supper was served at six o'clock. Twice a day they all sat at the table as a family. Breakfast and supper. Breakfast was always a little chaotic and supper was pure chaos. In the morning at the table it was always, "Ma have you seen my ...., seen my school books? etc. Supper was when they all tried to talk at once about there day. I enjoyed our times during supper. Whenever my kids get together, they still talk about the food and conversations at the supper table. A lot of times one of them would have a friend come for supper. There was always enough for one more.

Time to clean up the kitchen. The boys as well as the girls had their appointed days. Mostly clean the table and scrape the dishes. I did the washing and drying. Time for homework. They sat around the kitchen table while I washed the dishes. I was there to help them if they needed it. Then Spike got involved in Little League. He gulped his food and always made a deal with his sister to do his job. Out the door he would fly. He also got a job after school, so he began to get some leeway from the rules. He would ask me what was for supper. If there was spinach, he would bring home a couple of bags and I would cook them just for him. He was working in a small grocery store delivering groceries, cleaning the store, etc. The other kids had afterschool activities also. Girl Scouts. The Pirate was the one the girls used for their child care badge. He loved it. My two girls were both scouts and in the troop together.

Sundays were always a little crazy. That is the day I stripped the bed and did any laundry that didn't get done during the week. They had a choice. Get up, get dressed and go to Sunday School, or stay home and help with the laundry. They all opted for Sunday School.

Kids wandering in and out, an eight room apartment to clean, the phone ringing, activities to attend, meals to make, etc. No I simply didn't have time to listen to the music of my kids. They would tell me of a great new song that just came out. I would tell them to hum it for me. If you can't hum it, then it isn't music and I don't want to hear it. Don't believe me? Try humming rap. :angel:

Last edited:
hmm, hm hmm,

hm, hm, hm, hmm.

yo mother hummers.. yoooooooooooo!

trow yo hummers in the ayuh like you just don't kayuh..

hm, hm hmm...

yeah, doesn't work fo shizzle, addie.

hmm, hm hmm,

hm, hm, hm, hmm.

yo mother hummers.. yoooooooooooo!

trow yo hummers in the ayuh like you just don't kayuh..

hm, hm hmm...

yeah, doesn't work fo shizzle, addie.

I want to meet the couple that chose that as their song for their first dance at the wedding. Then I want to meet the parents if you can find out where they are hiding. :angel:

Same can be said for "modern Jazz" Addie, that you said about rap. Had that argument with a DJ friend who loved Jazz. I told him if I couldn't find a melody to hum it wasn't music, it was noise.

We had only two kids, but I did a lot of driving with one (took Goober to and from school a lot his freshman year when Dad was traveling - he/we had picked a school that was on the route and only a mile from Grandma's, but 25 miles from our home!) and listened to a LOT of his music that year. Loverly was in scouts and high school wrestling. She didn't wrestle, she was the statistician! Got to boss the boys around. But we'd listen to her stuff in the car too.

I had a source of music on the kitchen counter in each house. I grew up with my Mom and her radio in the kitchen. Now that I have a cell phone that can stream stations from just about anywhere I have music or sports talk in my pocket - sometimes literally!

We never had a car. Everything we needed or wanted to do was right in walking distance. Their school was right around the corner. The Italian bakery one block away. Every time I had baby in a carriage, I would stop at a store, go in for a quick shop and put the packages in the carriage. Joe the Pushcart was two door away for all the fresh veggies. The fish monger only a block away. And the First National Store was across the street. There were always kids there with their red wagons willing to bring your groceries home for a quarter. And we still have one of the best transit systems in the country. Wait ten minutes and a bus comes along that will take you to a subway that extends more than 50 miles outside of Boston. All the way to Rhode Island and New Hampshire and Maine. The buses stop at every corner. The Pirate was six years old and knew how to use the system. I took them into Boston Common to see the Dairy Show. We came home and two days later I get a call from the police. They had The Pirate in hand. He had gone back into to Boston to see the Dairy Show again. They noticed he was alone. He got caught trying to sneak into the subway without any money so he could come home. None of my neighbors had cars. For those folks who did have one, they were always called "gas asses."

We didn't need a car. My kids got an education of living and learning how to get along using your own intelligence. My grandchildren? They have no idea how to use the transit system. I once took my granddaughter on the subway to go to a mall in the next town. She was about five. She still remembers it, but sees it as a trip of terror. She was scared to death because there were strangers on the train. Sad! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom