"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #31
Master Chef

Great article taxy! It's a verbal smack up-side the head to the author of the Slate article.

I loved my Mother! I subscribed right about the time they first started publishing it and got it for years. Saved every issue and still had them in boxes in the "attic" space, accessible via pull-down steps in the garage. I ended up letting them go when we moved from OH to MA. I still remember much of what I learned from them, it was interesting whether I've been able to apply that knowledge or not.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
+1 although, I do empathize with those who have to decide if the last $20 before the next pay check goes for food or gas in the car to get to work and the person doesn't have a cell phone, satellite TV, doesn't smoke, drink, go through drive through, etc., and works full-time at a minimum wage job without benefits and lives in subsidized housing, doesn't get any help from the dead-beat ex. My MIL raised a son who earned a Ph.D. working a minimum wage job. She owned her own home, albeit a very small one, and the DH did not want for anything. She received neither child support nor alimony from the DH's father (they divorced when the DH was 2). How she did it, I have no idea, but she did it. And, when she died in May (from ovarian cancer--doctor stopped ordering PAP smears after she went through menopause...she did not have to die from ovarian cancer)--she had $~20K in the bank--even though she was only receiving the basic government pension and no pension from her employer. She always planted a garden and the DH can't remember eating processed food growing up.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Great article taxy! It's a verbal smack up-side the head to the author of the Slate article.

I loved my Mother! I subscribed right about the time they first started publishing it and got it for years. Saved every issue and still had them in boxes in the "attic" space, accessible via pull-down steps in the garage. I ended up letting them go when we moved from OH to MA. I still remember much of what I learned from them, it was interesting whether I've been able to apply that knowledge or not.
I subscribed to them in the mid '70s. Then they had a fiasco with encouraging some farm family to use sewage sludge as organic fertilizer. The soil was ruined and the family had to sell the farm.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I subscribed to them in the mid '70s. Then they had a fiasco with encouraging some farm family to use sewage sludge as organic fertilizer. The soil was ruined and the family had to sell the farm.
When they were building the Big Dig here in Boston, they were also overhauling our sewage plant out at Deer Island. Today, the home gardener (mostly) can go out to Deer Island and get a bagful of free processed sewage waste. It has been cleaned and processed to the point that all harmful chemicals have been removed and is now safe to be used for growing your vegetables in it. When I saw the maintenance help turning the soil on the plots here, I also saw a pile of top soil that had been purchased from Home Depot. I mentioned the free fertilizer available out at Deer Island. A couple of days later, I saw a pile of bags from there. BTW, they also tell us that the end water from the process is good enough to drink. I am going to pass on that one.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

I had a complete set of TMEN including the first one with the newsprint cover. I finally gave them to an aspiring young back to the lander. I didn't really need them I more or less memorized them.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We live in a time where people don't have to learn to cook, as long as you can run a microwave you can put something other than fast food on the table.

We also live in a time where we are surrounded by images and marketing showing how cooking for your family SHOULD be done, which leaves many parents feeling inferior (this isn't exactly new).

What is the right thing to feed your family? Is the low carb fad the right thing? Is the gluten free fad the right thing, should I be feeding my family a paleo diet? Am I a failure if I pick the wrong fad diet?

All of this coupled with more households having both parents working and kids being involved in EVERYTHING, it's no wonder that parents take the easy route. Heck I only have to feed Rob and some nights after working 8-9 hours and going to the gym, the though of making food and cleaning up doesn't sound appealing at all. Throw in kids and I'd want to run for the hills!

I'm not making excuses for people, many handle dinner just fine. But when this is brought up on a board with people who have a passion for cooking and are very willing to make time for it, you'll not really get a realistic perspective.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
Master Chef

I figure you should be able to feed your family at least as well as you are able to feed yourself. It may mean a gourmet meal every night in some homes and Kraft macaroni and cheese or a hot dog in others.

I agree some nights the last thing any of us wants to do is cook. Most folks have one or two items that they can pull together on those nights. The old standby grilled cheese with a bowl or tomato soup, a BLT, scrambled eggs etc...

I was lucky, I grew up in a home with great food. I have some friends who grew up in homes where the best meal was fish sticks, corn and applesauce. Those friends have just as many good memories as I do, they just crave different things than I do!

To me the important thing is to get together around the table and share a common experience.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Good points BC.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We live in a time where people don't have to learn to cook, as long as you can run a microwave you can put something other than fast food on the table.

We also live in a time where we are surrounded by images and marketing showing how cooking for your family SHOULD be done, which leaves many parents feeling inferior (this isn't exactly new).

What is the right thing to feed your family? Is the low carb fad the right thing? Is the gluten free fad the right thing, should I be feeding my family a paleo diet? Am I a failure if I pick the wrong fad diet?

All of this coupled with more households having both parents working and kids being involved in EVERYTHING, it's no wonder that parents take the easy route. Heck I only have to feed Rob and some nights after working 8-9 hours and going to the gym, the though of making food and cleaning up doesn't sound appealing at all. Throw in kids and I'd want to run for the hills!

I'm not making excuses for people, many handle dinner just fine. But when this is brought up on a board with people who have a passion for cooking and are very willing to make time for it, you'll not really get a realistic perspective.
I think the perspective here is rather realistic. (I know I shouldn't think because I get in trouble whenever I do) This site is rather diverse when it comes to cooking techniques and ingredients.

Tossing something in the microwave is cooking and I do it for several things. Hot Dogs & Frozen Veggies come to mind. Quick, Easy and cheaper then ordering out. I do this mainly when I simply don't feel like cooking or am pressed for time.

Now as far as cleaning up goes. I never want to do that. I'm heading for the hill also when it's time to clean up. But some things in life we have to deal with.

Fad diets are just that. Fads. If being into the latest and greatest is what you want then that's fine. But don't expect me to feel sorry for you because you won't eat X because it isn't the "right" thing to do.

Sorry I can't but that a basic require of life like feeding you & yours is stressful and unreasonably expensive. TL's like say's much of what I'd say but much better then I can say it.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

When I worked at S&W, the Engineering Company, one of my duties was to serve the panel from the Nuclear Energy Commission. Plus my regular duties. Always a harrowing day. This was a regular thing on a monthly basis. Yet I would rush home exhausted to get a hot meal on the table for Poo. I didn't slow down until he was about 15 years old. That is when I got rid of the guilt. I knew I was doing the best I could. Very easily I adopted the attitude of "So sue me!"

My neighbors used to accuse me of spoiling Poo. My answer that finally shut them up was, "Who do you want me to spoil? Your kids?" I was really tired of being criticized for doing my best. You think you can do better, than take my kid and you raise him.

Tags
cook