The Tyranny of the Home-Cooked Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mother worked from the time I was 12 until after I left home. She had always made EVERYTHING from scratch before that and when she went to work with my Dad in their pharmacy things changed only a little. She only made bread once a week instead of twice and augmented it with store-bought, usually for sandwiches for all of us. She did less canning and freezing, but cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. were still home baked and she taught me how to do it to help out.

I also started helping with a lot of dinners by the time I was 13 I think. First they were just simple things, but I could make a mean beef stew and wasn't bad at meatloaf or shake & bake pork chops either!

My mother loved to cook and even at her busiest I never saw it stress her. I think that is where I got my passion from. She used to say cooking and baking were her medicine and I can totally relate. If I make something we can't eat like cookies or cake, TB KNOWS I had a tough day - and it usually goes to his work the next day or next door.

I have never been stressed about balancing work and cooking, but that is probably because for the last 20 years work WAS cooking! :LOL: At busy times I would just make extra for our meals!

Originally "The Man Who Never Returned" was a political song The present politician raised the price of the subway from five cents to ten. The man whose campaign wrote and was using that song lost the election. Our subway and bus passes now are called "Charlie Cards" in honor of that song. And the price has gone up quite a bit since then. But we still have the cheapest transit system in the country. So I never complain when the price goes up. And I get "senior discount". Children under a certain age go free, school children have a discount and blind folks with a cane or dog, also go free. Disabled have a discount also. Considering the distance you can travel, it is a real bargain. Monthly passes are also sold at a discount. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom