"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
And I complain about a case (24 12oz cans) of beer costing $15.

Seems beer is cheaper than water in Hawaii.
Isn't that the deal in Hawaii? Live in splendor, but pay through the nose?
YEP! That's why we moved, WAY too expensive. You're nickle&dimed to death. A retirees' paycheck isn't going to be enough over there, unless of course you're independently wealthy. Our money goes a heck of alot farther over here on the "mainland"

Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I read your "Kitchen In The Dessert". That was quite some trip you and your DH took in the western part of our beautiful country. Is this the first time you have traveled that extensively on this side of the pond?
@Addie, DH and I have been taking road trips for more than 25 years, but now that we live here, we can do it much more often. We'll be finishing up our Pacific Coast Highway journey next.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #23
Head Chef

Talking ... and lastly

Price gouging is a huge hot button in the State of Hawaii for the past few days.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #24
Executive Chef

When your home has been destroyed in a major hurricane and some out of town scum (would have used a more descriptive word) is selling $2.00 a bag ice for $10.00+, then you will have experienced true price gouging!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Let just one person report a price gouger and they are prosecuted here in Mass. We don't take kindly to that practice. And fortunately for us, after any disaster, the State sends out folks just looking for them and responding to any reports. Heavy snow storms is when they usually come crawling out of the woodwork. If the weatherman reports the possibility of a snow storm for the coming week, you btter be first in line at the grocery store. Because the ones that decide to wait until the last minute clean the shelves off. Whether they need the item or not.

I have to admit, I have never heard of any of our large grocery chains price gouging.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
[snip] If the weatherman reports the possibility of a snow storm for the coming week, you btter be first in line at the grocery store. Because the ones that decide to wait until the last minute clean the shelves off. Whether they need the item or not. [snip]
When they forecast a storm here you see people buying 10 gallons of milk and other items beyond what they need to get through the storm.

I think it's a law here that if it's going to snow you have to buy Bread, Milk, and Toilet Paper.

A few years ago I went to the store when a snow was forecast and the bread man was wheeling his cart to the shelf's. It was like vultures on a road kill. His cart was picked clean before he made it to the shelf's.

Haven't seen price gouging but people buying more then they need is rampant.

What also amazes me is that the junk food isle (Chips & such) is always picked clean too.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Fortunately for me and my wallet I have a storage problem. I already hide my toilet paper and paper towel purchases under the skirts on my little lamp tables. So if I run out of toilet paper, I always have my paper towels on hand. After they are gone, well I don't have a Sears catalog.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
When they forecast a storm here you see people buying 10 gallons of milk and other items beyond what they need to get through the storm.

I think it's a law here that if it's going to snow you have to buy Bread, Milk, and Toilet Paper.

A few years ago I went to the store when a snow was forecast and the bread man was wheeling his cart to the shelf's. It was like vultures on a road kill. His cart was picked clean before he made it to the shelf's.

Haven't seen price gouging but people buying more then they need is rampant.

What also amazes me is that the junk food isle (Chips & such) is always picked clean too.
You don't need electricity to keep those items fresh...high fat and salt are also in need for a high energy diet, which you would need if your power and heat are out.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Fortunately for me and my wallet I have a storage problem. I already hide my toilet paper and paper towel purchases under the skirts on my little lamp tables. So if I run out of toilet paper, I always have my paper towels on hand. After they are gone, well I don't have a Sears catalog.
Be careful hiding the TP. Some folks start to look at the curtains in an emergency.

Does Sears still have a catalog?
It could be a worthwhile investment to save the drapes. Heck any reading material would do. Just don't expect to finish the novel without breaks in the narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You don't need electricity to keep those items fresh...high fat and salt are also in need for a high energy diet, which you would need if your power and heat are out.
Good point PF. I'll just have to remember to only get those items during a storm.

I also have to remember that you don't have to eat the whole bag in one sitting.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #30
Master Chef

I find it amusing that no one around here grocery shops until a storm is predicted. As for us, we're usually ready for any eating needs. I'll admit we do fill up the cars' gas tanks if they're both below half-full.

Tags
rice