"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Be careful hiding the TP. Some folks start to look at the curtains in an emergency.

Does Sears still have a catalog?
It could be a worthwhile investment to save the drapes. Heck any reading material would do. Just don't expect to finish the novel without breaks in the narrative.

Good point PF. I'll just have to remember to only get those items during a storm.

I also have to remember that you don't have to eat the whole bag in one sitting.
You don't? LOL!!

The emergency winter kit in the car has lots of nuts, jerky, pretzels, cans of chili and ramen. I keep hoping to get stuck somewhere so I can delve into it.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
[snip]
The emergency winter kit in the car has lots of nuts, jerky, pretzels, cans of chili and ramen. I keep hoping to get stuck somewhere so I can delve into it.
Point the car in the direction of the deepest snow you see and step on the gas peddle. You might just get lucky.

Good Luck.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wouldn't be hurrying to the store before a storm to get milk if I could buy shelf stable milk. They have had in Europe for at least 45 years.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You don't? LOL!!

Don't forget to include a candle and a book of matches, all of those foods taste better by candlelight!

In the fall I put a couple of special dark chocolate bars in the glove compartment and make sure I have a few extra bucks tucked into my wallet, neither one ever makes it to the spring thaw!

If I'm at home and a blizzard hits I start soaking dried beans and mixing up a batch of bread dough.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Don't forget to include a candle and a book of matches, all of those foods taste better by candlelight!

In the fall I put a couple of special dark chocolate bars in the glove compartment and make sure I have a few extra bucks tucked into my wallet, neither one ever makes it to the spring thaw!

If I'm at home and a blizzard hits I start soaking dried beans and mixing up a batch of bread dough.
All of that is in there, too! Try as I might, I can't seem to get the Subaru stuck...
Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I find it amusing that no one around here grocery shops until a storm is predicted. As for us, we're usually ready for any eating needs. I'll admit we do fill up the cars' gas tanks if they're both below half-full.
Hurricane Isabel, which was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it passed over us, left us without water for five days and without power for seven days. Luckily, we have a gas stove, gas grill and gas water heater, so we could cook and take showers. I felt really anxious during that time, so it was a huge comfort to have a battery-powered TV and, at the time, a device (can't remember what it was now - an iPod?) that could receive radio signals, and the radio stations cooperated with the TV stations to broadcast the news that way, so people would know where they could get ice, etc.

I filled our bathtub in the downstairs bathroom before the storm. Hubby laughed at me, but as I said, we had no water for five days - the pumping station around the corner was flooded, so they shut it down. With the tub water and a bucket, though, we could flush the toilet.

And since then, I've been prescribed a medication that has to be refrigerated, so we bought a generator and got a tax deduction for it.

I've been complacent this year. I'm feeling like I should get some supplies, just in case.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hurricane Isabel, which was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it passed over us, left us without water for five days and without power for seven days. Luckily, we have a gas stove, gas grill and gas water heater, so we could cook and take showers. I felt really anxious during that time, so it was a huge comfort to have a battery-powered TV and, at the time, a device (can't remember what it was now - an iPod?) that could receive radio signals, and the radio stations cooperated with the TV stations to broadcast the news that way, so people would know where they could get ice, etc.

I filled our bathtub in the downstairs bathroom before the storm. Hubby laughed at me, but as I said, we had no water for five days - the pumping station around the corner was flooded, so they shut it down. With the tub water and a bucket, though, we could flush the toilet.

And since then, I've been prescribed a medication that has to be refrigerated, so we bought a generator and got a tax deduction for it.

I've been complacent this year. I'm feeling like I should get some supplies, just in case.
Hmm...Shrek and I both have refrigerated meds...
Old 08-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter has to travel about 20 or more miles from home to get to work. Even though the expressway is usually plowed, there are times when the plows can't keep up with the falling snow. I am always worried about her getting stuck on the Xpressway. So I had a radio/flashing red light/ and other stuff on it and gave it to her. I made sure she keeps it in her trunk and every fall I make sure she checks the batteries in it. I also gave her an old army wool blanket that she keeps in there. Why keep the car running and take a chance of running out of gas, when a wool blanket will keep you warm. One time her husband took them both out to make room for his stuff. We both hit the ceiling with him. First off it is her car, not his. Second did he really want her to be caught in a storm without any means of taking care of herself? They are now entrenched in her trunk. Oddly enough, he will listen to me before her.

Now I have to get her to start keeping snacks in there also.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #39
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Having lived on a small island, smack dab in the middle of Pacific Ocean my entire life (well, excluding the past 6 years), I have gone through many Tropical storms and a few Hurricanes, Tsunamis... bad weather let's say.
Back in the early 70’s I think it was, there was a dock strike in Hawaii. The majority of goods for sale are brought in by ship. Since that time I've turned into, for lack of a better term, a hoarder.
To this day, I keep a good supply of dry goods, water, paper products, etc on hand at all times and rotate the inventory. In addition, we have always had a generator for backup. We keep the gas tank no less than half full, and I still have a panic attack at the first strike of lightening. These summer Monsoon storms in the middle of the desert scares the pee-wad out of me.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #40
Sous Chef

We're usually pretty ready for "eating needs" also. And we too fill the vehicle tanks at the 1/2 mark. It makes more sense to be ready no matter what. I remember two really big floods when I was a kid and I sure don't want the experience as an adult.

Tags
rice