"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #51
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
After the price gouging that took place after Hurricane Andrew, Florida made it a criminal offense to price gouge. I'm surprised Hawaii hasn't done something similar.

As to the water though, all the cheap water goes first here when the frenzy starts after it's announced a hurricane is headed our way. So, it may be that only the expensive "premium" water was left. At least they weren't charging their normal full price (from what others have posted).
In Hawaii, once the Governor proclaims a state of emergency, prices on any goods can not be increased. I saw on Craig's List a case of bottled water for as much as $250. The Big Island of Hawaii is still in a bad way.

*Here's the hysterical thing to me about this fancy-pants bottled water, it's artesian... the city tape water is from an artesian aquifer that has been filtered by lava rock.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:37 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't understand your point. I've been through many power outages here and never gone to a shelter. That doesn't mean I want to lose my perishable food to spoilage and as I said, I have medication that needs to be refrigerated; I have no doubt it would be stolen if I left it in a fridge in a shelter. And most if not all shelters won't take pets.
Easy GG. I wasn't saying you 1) should go to a shelter, 2) not own a generator and 3) not care about your pets. My only (poorly made*) point was that IF you live out in the boonies it's necessary to be sure to have a back-up plan if weather causes power problems. IF you live in a town you will usually have services available to help during a power outage if you chose. We had considered a generator with that last power outage until Himself's sister and BIL bought a generator. Once they did, THEY became our back-up plan. After all, their house is only 2,000 feet from ours! If we couldn't drive up we can snowshoe (me) and X-C ski (Himself) to their place. Fortunately, we really don't have many power outages. Prior to the 64-hour one due to the Halloween Snowtober storm the few we've had have all been under 4 or 6 hours.

*I think half of my planned post didn't make it to the keys, but instead was still stuck somewhere in my brain.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Easy GG. I wasn't saying you 1) should go to a shelter, 2) not own a generator and 3) not care about your pets. My only (poorly made*) point was that IF you live out in the boonies it's necessary to be sure to have a back-up plan if weather causes power problems. IF you live in a town you will usually have services available to help during a power outage if you chose. We had considered a generator with that last power outage until Himself's sister and BIL bought a generator. Once they did, THEY became our back-up plan. After all, their house is only 2,000 feet from ours! If we couldn't drive up we can snowshoe (me) and X-C ski (Himself) to their place. Fortunately, we really don't have many power outages. Prior to the 64-hour one due to the Halloween Snowtober storm the few we've had have all been under 4 or 6 hours.

*I think half of my planned post didn't make it to the keys, but instead was still stuck somewhere in my brain.
Sorry. I must be feeling more vulnerable than I used to when I was healthier. I understand. I do think that if you have any warning at all, people should be prepared to make it on their own for at least a few days. I've seen lots of news reports about people who were complaining about not getting water or ice from the gummint the very next day.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You are not alone in this.
And for me it's not just posts it's life in general.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #55
Master Chef

Zagut, half my conversations with Himself start with "Now WHAT was I going to tell you?" If I wait with a question/comment until a commercial comes on I plum forget what I wanted to say by the time there is a break in the TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sorry. I must be feeling more vulnerable than I used to when I was healthier....
Glad to see we're still friends. I hear you on that "be prepared" part too. Works for people even if they were never in Scouts.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Even if you live in a city, if services are lost for any extended time, it may become necessary to use a shelter. Here in Boston, they set up in the summer when the temps start to climb, shelters with AC. When you live in a four or five story walk-up, and you have only a couple of fans, that shelter feels mighty good when you walk in the door. And during those times during a heat wave, or loss of power in the winter, we are bombarded with reminders to check on our elderly neighbors to make sure they are all right. This also happens in the winter if there is a really bad storm. If my memory serves me and hasn't competely gone, we haven't lost anyone to the heat or cold in many years. Our police are pretty good at knowing where the elderly live and might be in need of services. We recently had a power outage in our building for a couple of hours last year. After about 30 minutes the EMS service in Boston showed up with oxygen tanks for some of our tenants. We have four very large buildings that are for the elderly in my part of the city. They all were checked on that night. with services rendered where needed.

Tags
rice