"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #21
Head Chef

Sounds like a true labor of love! I know we have all been thinking of you and appreciate the news. Now, get some well-deserved REST.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

congrats and well done, gw. i wish we could have all been there to enjoy your food, but we were there in spirit nonetheless.

ya know, no one here doubted that the food would be great, but c'mon... somehow i don't believe the bit about the groom's father.

god bless your new, larger family.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

no wonder the hot tub was so empty lately

sorry I missed all the other excitement, GW. Best wishes to you and yours!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #24
Head Chef

I bet you are physically and emotionally exhausted, but satisfied and glowing!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of a lovely time, GW!

Lee
Old 05-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Congrats!! It all sounds wonderful!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #26
Master Chef

Thanks everyone. I do have pictures of the special plate we made for My DD and new SIL (that's not sister in law!)

I'm not a photographer extraordinaire so I will explain what you are seeing. The platter was filled with Linguini that had been tossed with a good extra-virgin olive oil. This was then mixed on the platter with a very smooth Alfredo sauce made from heavy cream and parmesano-Regianno (the best we could find). All was topped with a mixture of lightly saute'd shrimp (20/lb. size), scallops that were lightly browned, and freshly steamed muscles (very alive when it was started and so very fresh). Everything was arranged as artistically as I knew how. For the final touch, I placed freshly cleaned and peeled jumbo prawns that were stuffed with a mixture of dungenous crab, red and orange bell peppers, onion, panko bread crumbs, and egg, with a touch of sugar and flour to hold all together. The shrimp were then dipped in egg-wash and coated with panko crubs. They were then lightly fried in oil and baked for fifteen minutes to make sure the stuffing was completely cooked. They came out wonderful (thanks everyone for the stuffing recipe ingredients). The stuffed prawns circled the linguini and seafood. The kids loved it.

To my happy suprise, the groom and my DD had eaten at a nice restaurant and had a dish that was nearly identicle to what I and my son made (he steamed the muscles perfectly and also made the Alfredo sauce without breaking it). This dish has a name that I can't remember. It is, of course, Italian and turned out to be his favorite meal.

You will like the pictures. I loved the good time, and that my daughter has found a wonderful young man that truly believes that family comes first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0114.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	4136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0116.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	4137  

Name:	DSCF0125.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	4138   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0126.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	4139  

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #27
Head Chef

Oh, those kids are adorable. And the food is gorgeous - just your description made my mouth water, and then I saw the PICTURE. Goodweed, you didn't make it easy for yourself, did you? Took on a big challenge and made it work. You are inspiring! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #28
Master Chef

More Pictures: From left to right, Bride with Hubby and all In-Laws, Bride with Siblings, Bride with Sister-In-Law and Sister, Bride with hubby,me and DW,

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0089.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	4140   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0079.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	4141  

Name:	DSCF0075.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	4142   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0065.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	4143  

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #29
Head Chef

Oh, what a sweet couple. I hope they have lots of wonderful years together.

You really outdid yourself on the food!!!! YUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Oh, those kids are adorable. And the food is gorgeous - just your description made my mouth water, and then I saw the PICTURE. Goodweed, you didn't make it easy for yourself, did you? Took on a big challenge and made it work. You are inspiring! Thanks for sharing this with us.
The pictures lost were those of the table at the reception. They included pyramids of profiteroles filled with chocolate/hazlenut flavored pastry cream, cheesecake flavored pastry cream, stabilized chocolate whipped cream, and stabilized chantilly cream. Then there were trays full of yeast raised douhnuts, flavored with vanilla and nutmeg, and glazed with a simple milk/powdered sugar glaze. There were key-lime filled filo-dough tarts, and strawberry cheesecake tarts, and finally, pinwheels made from puff-pastry covered with strawberry cheesecake filling, jelly-rolled into a log, and cut into 1/8" thick rounds, baked until all puffed and golden. I wish I had those pictures as well, but they were lost. All in all, it was a lot of work, but well worth the smiles on the faces of her guests and especially on the faces of my DD and new SIL. I would go through it all again in a New York minute. But wish the whole thing didn't cost so much. It's gonna take time to recover from this one. And just wait, BT, your time is coming.

I'm thankful to a wonderful family that supported me, and the kids, and for a son who knows how to cook as well as I, some things not as well, and some things better. And I'm thankful to a host of friends at DC who support me as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North