The Whales are here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
Each year the Humpback Whales migrate to our local waters for their winter holiday and do what they do on holiday. Some years back a young pure white whale joined the party so, for being such a special Whale, we named him Migaloo. A couple of years back Migaloo suddenly did a right hand turn half way up the coast and disappeared. The next year he appeared again with a pure white calf in toe, wow! This year he has appeared again with two white calf's in toe, hey! this blokes a bit of a stud. :cool:
Here's a pic of #2 calf.
2683241153_3ef205e3cf_m.jpg

Thanks for the pic.
Attie, please educate me. I thought the he was a she, as the calves stayed with the mom to nurse.

Beautiful, awesome sight. Never seen a whale up close, but the sight of a school(?) of dolphins down here is
frequent ,and always draws the camera croud. I guess they are following a school of favorite fish and warm currents that bring them so close to shore. Usually at dusk, and being on the west coast of the pennisula, with the colors of the sun going down, well, it's just a magnificant thing to see.

They travel in a pod quicksilver, and no doubt the Moms are amongst it. Whales are great creatures, they will come alongside a boat and eyeball you, so close that you can almost touch them. They also like to put on a show like breaching and tail slapping, gentle giants. We are not allowed to approach them but they sometimes come over for a squiz at us.

They travel in a pod quicksilver, and no doubt the Moms are amongst it. Whales are great creatures, they will come alongside a boat and eyeball you, so close that you can almost touch them. They also like to put on a show like breaching and tail slapping, gentle giants. We are not allowed to approach them but they sometimes come over for a squiz at us.

YIKS!!! That eyeball's got to be the size of a dinner plate. When they pull out their Nikkons, head for stiller waters!!! HA!

What an awesome blessing! One of the things I would like to encounter in my lifetime if at all possible.

We are fortunate in our area to have several hundred humpback whales that winter in our bay, the Bay of Banderas. These same whales spend the summer months along the shores of Oregon and Washington. The Mexican government is very strict about who can get close to them - only specially-licensed boat operators. Last year, we went out on a licensed boat and took LOTS of pictures - most of them of water. Timing is everything. But here is one good one. This little guy is only about 3-4 weeks old and is learning to breach. No white ones, Attie - what a rarity!
388187839_a1d592eb38.jpg

Back
Top Bottom