The "what are you listening to now" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing so enjoyable or musical as the rest of you. Right now I'm being treated to the lilting sounds of the dishwasher and the washer. Guess I should be enjoying these noises since I'm not the one doing the washing.:LOL:

I'm volunteering on the master gardener helpline this morning and am listening to a Steely Dan station while I research people's garden problems. Heard Hotel California a few minutes ago and Operator by Jim Croce just came on.

"The Goon Show"

This will mean nothing to most of you but it was very popular on the radio in Britain throughout the '50s and starred Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe and others and relied on surreal story lines, absurd logic, puns, catchphrases and groundbreaking sound effects. They ridiculed the pomposity of those in authority and laughed at the stupidity of mankind.

Characters such as Neddie Seagoon, Eccles, Bluebottle, Major Bloodnok, Minnie Bannister, Henry Crun, Grytpype-Thynne and Moriarty all helped to create an alternative and ludicrous view of the world.

My father and my cousins (in common with most fans of the Goons, including the Prince of Wales!) used to mimic the voices and quote from the dialogue and laugh like drains.

"Monty Python's Flying Circus" (and it's spin-off films such as "The Life of Brian") owed a lot to The Goons despite not having half its brilliance.

It's being re-run on Radio 4 Extra at the moment (along with "I'm Sorry I'll Read that Again", "Round the Horne" and "The Navy Lark", other radio stuff of my youth). It still wears well, despite it's age, and apparently still crops up on radio all over the world (or perhaps mainly in outposts of what was once called "the empire".

Well, you did ask what I'm listening to :)

EDIT:- Sorry, didn't realise until too late that you meant music. I have a Dinah Shore compilation in the car CD player. Mostly '40s stuff with various bands

Last edited:
Don't fret MC. The key word here is "listening". Me, I am listening to Judge Judy. A TV show. And not a very good one. I am just to lazy to get up and find the remote. :angel:

I'm having my morning coffee out on the patio and listening to the birds chirping. Not another sound to be heard.

I'm having my morning coffee out on the patio and listening to the birds chirping. Not another sound to be heard.

Oh how I envy you. I can't wait until it is warm enough to sit downstairs on the patio. We have a huge maple tree right in the center. So you have to be careful where you sit. I sit out on the edge where the bird dropping can't reach me. The tree is full of birds. I love to go down there just when the sun is almost finished setting. The birds are all settling down and make quite a cacophony of song. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom