"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
Well the worst thing for me was when I once did Boston Baked Beans. I couldn't get any salt pork so decided to make my own.

I don't know what I did wrong but it tasted awful, the most salty thing I have ever eaten.
I don't know if I can even class this as the worst thing I've ever eaten as we only had two mouthfuls each before throwing the rest away.
Next time use bacon in place of the salt pork. Just as much if not more flavor in the same family.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Head Chef

We were doing a major remodel on a house and the clients were living there while we did it.

We got to know them quite well and used to play around with there children from time to time.

One day there 8-9 year old daughter brought a plate of mud pies she'd just made out to us.

Most of the guys just pretended to eat them but me being the smartass I am and wanting to make a sweet little girl happy took a big bite and started to chew. After all what's a little dirt?

OMG. I now know what nasty is.

I couldn't spit it out right then and there because the sweet girl was really happy. Seems like it was in my mouth forever.

Let me assure you as soon as she left my mouth was rinsed several time from the water jug.

So I'd have to say Mud Pie was my worst thing eaten.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
We were doing a major remodel on a house and the clients were living there while we did it.

We got to know them quite well and used to play around with there children from time to time.

One day there 8-9 year old daughter brought a plate of mud pies she'd just made out to us.

Most of the guys just pretended to eat them but me being the smartass I am and wanting to make a sweet little girl happy took a big bite and started to chew. After all what's a little dirt?

OMG. I now know what nasty is.

I couldn't spit it out right then and there because the sweet girl was really happy. Seems like it was in my mouth forever.

Let me assure you as soon as she left my mouth was rinsed several time from the water jug.

So I'd have to say Mud Pie was my worst thing eaten.
But you made a little girl very happy.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
But you made a little girl very happy.
Yes I did and that's what's important.

She's now 20 years old and still my friend.

Her mother recently told me she has a video of it.

That's what reminded my of the story.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Lutefisk would top that list. My paternal grandmother's pot roast, followed by that dish I made awhile back that I tossed in the garbage.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #16
Head Chef

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18145-00.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	22737  
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #17
Master Chef

The most perfectly grilled steak, topped with...maple syrup. I was 12, on vacation with my spinster aunt visiting relatives, and my cousins took us out to eat. Without asking if I wanted her help, she reached across the plate to grab the pitcher of "au jus" and liberally applied it to my steak. I was suspicious, since it didn't pour like au jus, but I humored her and took a bite. We all laughed so hard the waitress hurried over. Well, actually, I wasn't laughing at first. Needless to say, I got a new steak. As a bonus, my meal was free because the waitress felt it was her fault. Just to make sure my aunt never wanted to "help" me again, I would remind her of the maple steak every time we ate out.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Maple syrup on steak reminded me of this. It was Easter and we were visiting an elderly Swedish couple. She put out a beautiful Easter dinner. There was the most gorgeous ham I had ever seen. It was scored in a diamond pattern with cloves at the corners of the diamonds. It was shiny and looked succulent. I learned a term that day - raisin sauce. I'm not a big fan of sweet with savoury. As a child, it was a much bigger deal. I thought fried onions were too sweet to eat with meat. Well, I tasted that gorgeous ham and I don't know how I didn't gag or how I finished my serving. It was sweet and disgusting and worse than anything I could think of.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was a teenager, my stepmother mixed Lipton Onion Soup mix into hamburger meat to make burgers. I couldn't stand it. I burped onion mix for three days afterward. That's right up there with the blood sausage I tried in a B&B in Ireland. Loved most of the food there, but blood sausage - no thanks.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Where did you find the mug? Family shouldn't let family eat lutefisk either!