"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Italian meatloaf, the texture was disgusting!

Old 04-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Whelks in Vancouver! Our Lonely Planet guide told us that THIS restaurant was a 'Not to be missed experience' Well, I don't know how I coped. Half way through I just thought "why am I doing this" they were truly disgusting,so didn't eat anymore. This was back in 1994 so no point in naming names...............they are long gone I hope

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I love shrimp scampi. But in the restaurant I had ordered it. The shrimp were so overcooked you couldn't even cut them with your knife. There was a lot of clear sauce or liquid on the bottom of my plate. I took a mouthful of the pasta, and had to spit it out real fast. My son asked me what was wrong. "This plate of food is loaded with alcohol." He took the plate and smelled it. Then he put his finger in the liquid and tasted it.

My son offered to send it back. By now I didn't even want to eat. So I just left the plate there. When the waitress came to give us the check, she noticed my plate. She asked if anything was wrong. My son spoke up and she took it back to the kitchen. She adjusted the check and took the scampi off along with the dessert my son and his wife had ordered. It seems the cook had forgotten to add the liquor during the cooking and just poured it over the whole plate before he sent it out.

The best part was when I looked up, I saw the whole kitchen staff standing outside the kitchen door and just staring at us. The next thing we hear is the manager screaming at the chef. Everybody in the restaurant heard it. Now everybody in the restaurant is staring at us. We made a hasty exit!
Old 04-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Where did you find the mug? Family shouldn't let family eat lutefisk either!

Google was my friend CWS.

Be glad you didn't go to school here.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When I was a teenager, my stepmother mixed Lipton Onion Soup mix into hamburger meat to make burgers. I couldn't stand it. I burped onion mix for three days afterward. That's right up there with the blood sausage I tried in a B&B in Ireland. Loved most of the food there, but blood sausage - no thanks.
OK, I will travel to the British Isles eventually, and I always thought that I'd miss out if I didn't try blood sausage. I'm not a huge fan of sausage to begin with and this doesn't sound appetizing at all. I'll feel better taking a pass on this one!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

You won't be missing a thing, bakechef. I think it's one of those things you have to grow up with.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #27
Master Chef

We have had similar threads I'm the past. But my worst food never changes. McDonalds. Hands down. Including horrible things they were feeding us in the soviet army. McD, is absolutely the worst meal, as a whole I have ever eaten. It was repulsive.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 AM   #28
Master Chef

I agree with you on McDonalds, Charlie.

Probably the worst thing I've ever eaten, I made myself. Years ago, I decided to make a tomato bisque for my mom and dad, which as usual, called for some basil. Back then I thought if a little basil was good, more would be better.

I over-basiled that soup so much that it turned me off of both tomato soup and basil for years. Nasty stuff, it was.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You won't be missing a thing, bakechef. I think it's one of those things you have to grow up with.
Nope. Mom fixed kiszka when I was a kid. Tried a fork-full each time, just to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was always bad to me.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
OK, I will travel to the British Isles eventually, and I always thought that I'd miss out if I didn't try blood sausage. I'm not a huge fan of sausage to begin with and this doesn't sound appetizing at all. I'll feel better taking a pass on this one!
Do you mean black pudding ? We don't really think of it as a sausage and it's known as black pudding here . Scotland also do a white pudding . Its mainly eaten on a full cooked breakfast with some HP brown sauce (optional ) but you will also find it in restaurants where they like to sit it on top of a scallop with some pea purée (getting a bit old hat now ) .

There are good ones and bad ones , the Scottish ones I have tasted are very good , but some others are a bit gristly . I don't eat it now as I have to find a gluten free one and I don't miss it that much to be bothered .