"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

"There's a light at the end of the tunnel....."

We got a car yesterday, a '99 Ford Taurus. Our phone line was also fixed yesterday. Now we just have to get the water heater fixed.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm happy to hear that Allen! And, may you soon be in hot water again .... Congrats and Happy New Year!!!

It's amazing what we take for granted until a storm comes through and knocks them out ...

Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Good news Allen. I'm pleased for you.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Allen, you must have gotten hit harder than I did. We were without power from 430 am on Monday and was restored on Friday morning. I only lost stuff in the frig as my freezers were chock full and I gave instructions that they were not to be opened for any reason.
Fortunately, no big trees around my place, but neighbors lost big pecans. Looks like they will have several 100 thousand tons of mulch shortly.
But we had some 3 dog nights, I mean to tell you.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

We really didn't get hit that hard. However, there were only about 20 - 30 customers on our circuit, and the power companies stated from the get-go that they were going to restore power to the most people in the quickest time. Ergo, circuits with very few reported outages were passed over for circuits that had more reported outages.

All that was wrong on our circuit was that the line that serves the houses behind me came down (which I'm on), and popped the circuit breaker on the pole on the street. It took about an hour or two to fix.

I should have purchased several pounds of dry ice and dropped it into my deep-freezer.

The golf course where I work has been closed for a couple weeks now. They're hoping to open 6 out of 18 holes by the end of this week. I've heard that every private course in town is closed.