"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Speaking about potatoes.....
I keep mine under the sink. Upon verifying that they were russets, I noticed that two had been gnawed on No turds, but potato skin "crumbs" and the telltale gnaw marks
Now, I've got two copper pipes, one PVC drain pipe and one piece of romex leading up through the hole in the bottom of the cabinet, but none of them provide a very direct route for Mr Mouse in the basement. He must have really worked at getting up in there. Passing up open bags of cat food and dog food that sit in the basement.
Looks like I need to have a little talk with my geriatric cat this morning and if that doesn't work, rob one of the mousetraps I've been using to train my pup to keep his nose off the TV, away from the remotes, the pillows belong on the couch....

I had this same problem as well.

This apartment was INFESTED with them!! I DID tell the landlord about it. He said that he hasn't seen any mice in his apt.

There was one that looked almost the size of a rat!! One day, I was cooking and needed an ingredient from the kitchen cupboard.

Looking in there to one side of the cabinet, I found dozens of turds in there!!
I also found a nest right under the kitchen sink! On one of the glue traps. I disposed of it.

It has now been at least 3 to 4 months and I haven't seen a mouse since!! I really don't know what I did, and I don't smell anything dead. I think that once I destroyed the nest, they all vacated the premises.

But I think that they've all gotten the message, packed up and left. Guess I sent them packing!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
Master Chef

When I was a kid, a mouse died IN the couch. Dad had to turn the couch over, take loose the bottom fabric and look through the stuffing for it.

We don't have mice in this house...it's too tight for them to get in...but I used to get plenty of them in the shop and greenhouses. We're talking big field mice, not cute little house mouses. One night, they wiped out $60 worth of newly planted hybrid pepper seed.
The cats killed a lot of them, and my Maggie Dog would dig their nests up out of the ground and kill them.

One warning about poison...if your cat eats mice that have been eating the poison, it will die too. I don't know how many mice it takes, but it happened to my daughter's cat.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I don't use any poison.

Good thing, because if my Deuce were here with me now, and if he caught and ate a mouse that was poisoned, then he would have died as well!!!

I'm glad that he'll be with me in the next apt though.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Executive Chef

D-Con is the best choice. When we moved into our house we had mice, that was almost 3 years ago. I haven't seen one (or the remains of one) in over a year. Like someone else said, use that Good Stuff foam sealer all over your houses foundation. I have a dog too, but I place the D-Con traps in the basement and under the sink where she can't get to. The only drawback to the poison is you'll have little dead mices that you need to dispose of during the process.

Good luck. Take care of them before they multiply.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Rats, mice and roaches are like Babe's Kids; They don't die, they DO multiply!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
Head Chef

We've had mice - eek! We don't live in a typical "house." It used to be a furniture building shop...concrete floors, overhead garage door...We converted that space to living room area. It's been HARD to find all the potential entry points for those little critters. Anyway -

Use lots of steel wool. Poke it tightly around pipes and in any other tiny holes you find. We use regular mouse traps with peanut butter. Oh, and our experience has been that mice will chew through that foam insulation stuff.

Good luck!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Pacanis, I had a mouse invasion once and this is what worked for me. Buy some pure peppermint oil and saturate a couple of cotton balls and place where the mice come in. They will leave pronto. Then plug any holes or openings you can find with steel wool. Mice will eat Great Stuff if they know there is food on the other side (they've already been in) but they will not chew or even dig through steel wool. Apparently it's kinda like razor wire to their little feet. The peppermint oil can be purchased at Whole Foods and similar places or online, which is less expensive but you have to wait for it. A little 4 oz. bottle will saturate a lot of cotton balls and mice absolutely flee from it. (It deters raccoons, possums and other larger visitors but it flat out gets rid of mice.) Good luck!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I did that with the shower stall.

I'd see a mouse peep out and when I moved my head to get a better view, they'd jump back in hiding.

So I stuffed some steel wool around the spaces and then I duct-taped that whole area to keep them from getting in the apt! All the way near the top!

I think that by doing that, I cut off their doorway to get in. Good riddens to bad rubbish!!
Old 04-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

corey, for some reason i think the mice are equally grateful...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Good idea about the steel wool. I had never heard of that.
I'll be checking back in shortly to see if my cat came up with anything, or simply spent the morning on top of the furnace plenum. Figures I just trimmed his nails a week ago....