"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #41
Sous Chef

ugh i HATE mice. When I bought my house it was INFESTED with the buggers I wont go into detal but I basically had to deconstuct my stove to clean it. I dont know how people live like that.

I have finally vanqueshed them but I am afraid they will be back for spring.

Its pretty hard to seal up a 150yr old rowhouse surrounded by empty lots.

any neighborhood in this town is mouse prone though... I might try a cat except I am afaird the dog would go nuts (he's not vicious to cats but he wants to play with everything and he is huge)

Decon did not work for me I think it actually attracted them to the house they ate trays of it and didnt die (maybe its the bad tough philly street mice) The glue traps did not due much either but the snap traps did.

Anybody ever use fox urine or anything else? I need some hints,

Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'll give you my cat, he's HUGE and could probably hold his own with the dog.
Oh, but then I may get mice!
Hmmmm.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
ugh i HATE mice. When I bought my house it was INFESTED with the buggers I wont go into detal but I basically had to deconstuct my stove to clean it. I dont know how people live like that.

I have finally vanqueshed them but I am afraid they will be back for spring.

Its pretty hard to seal up a 150yr old rowhouse surrounded by empty lots.

any neighborhood in this town is mouse prone though... I might try a cat except I am afaird the dog would go nuts (he's not vicious to cats but he wants to play with everything and he is huge)

Decon did not work for me I think it actually attracted them to the house they ate trays of it and didnt die (maybe its the bad tough philly street mice) The glue traps did not due much either but the snap traps did.

Anybody ever use fox urine or anything else? I need some hints,
I know what you mean, Pancho. My house is 85+ years old and you just can't effective seal it all up. Believe me, you don't want to try the fox urine or the coyote urine. It's dehydrated but when you get any humidity in the air, your house will smell like a zoo. Having mice is better than that smell!!! Buy some pure peppermint oil (not extract or anything like that), saturate cotton balls and place them around the house, particularly closets, pantries, in and underneath the stove and behind the fridge. Someone told me about this when I had a terrible mouse invasion and I was desperate enough to try it. It works fabulously!!!! The only problem would be if you really hate the smell of peppermint because it's very strong smelling.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Think about how strong that smell would be for the dog then..... I don't know if that would be a problem or not though.
They make those ultrasonic sound things, too. They are supposed to be safe around dogs and cats, but you son't want to use them if you have hamsters, rabbits or some other rodent family for a pet. I hear they repel pretty good.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Think about how strong that smell would be for the dog then..... I don't know if that would be a problem or not though.
They make those ultrasonic sound things, too. They are supposed to be safe around dogs and cats, but you son't want to use them if you have hamsters, rabbits or some other rodent family for a pet. I hear they repel pretty good.
I tried an ultra sonic thing and it didn't have any effect but perhaps a different brand would work better. The peppermint oil doesn't seem to bother the dog or the cats but the coyote urine bugged them for a day or two. (The urine bugged me for much longer!)

I'm so glad you caught your little intruder, Pacanis. I have used the snap traps and they are effective but I can't stand to deal with the "aftermath".
Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
alrighty, gotta add my rodent infestation tales:

once upon a time in vet school, a buddy and i were studying at the kitchen table when we saw a large black shadow flicker across the kitchen floor. "uh, that's not a roach," i said. "no, dude," he replied, "definitely a rat." and sure enough, we found the tell-tale stash of dog kibbles behind the stove and the washer, and the occasional rat-sized dropping. the next day, my roommate and i opened the pantry to see this lord of the rodent world casually chilling on the shelf, opened bag of rotini ready to hand, with a decidedly "yeah, so?" attitude. i screamed like a girl.

people, i'm a LAB ANIMAL veterinarian. i've wrangled a gajillion rodents of all flavors. apparently, it's totally different when the buggers are in your pantry instead of the lab.

i can't recommend highly enough hiring a professional. likewise to some of you guys, i had a rather old house, complete with crawlspace under the floor and squirrel-chewed holes in the under-roof eaves. the guy showed up, did a thorough home exam, nailed up wire mesh over the outside holes and stuffed steel wool in all the interior ones, and baited the whole place, paying very particular attention to the rats' ability to drag the baits out to where my pets could eat them. and yes, when the dead animal stench fired up in the TX warmth, he came back out with a powerfully-scented lemony substance that he dripped up into the mesh-stuffed holes and in the roof. worked great, like dead rat febreeze.

poisons: generally, rodent poisons are things that prevent your blood from clotting. so they'll die from internal bleeding. rodent baits are big whomping overdoses (you want those critters to die quick), so YES if your dog or cat eats one of these animals, it can get sick-unto-death. be careful.

steel wool: absolutely, totally works great. you must stuff enough that they can't just push it out of the way, though.

ultrasonic thingy: absolutely, totally crap. works ok in a very local vicinity, as in, high frequencies don't penetrate walls, into the next room, etc. so if you just want to make sure you never *see* one, set up one in each room. rodents still in your walls, in your pantry, in your house, but not running around in the room you're sitting in.

humane disposal: the abovementioned sledgehammer (or just a regular hammer, if you're ok with hitting the head spot-on) would work well, as would guillotine-style decapitation with a set of heavy scissors or garden shears. these are both obviously not for the squeamish, and will be messy. whatever you do, go quickly but firmly, and it will be a painless exit for our uninvited guests.

but seriously, hire the pros. totally worth the $ to have them find all the little holes and fix them, and have some kind of guarantee on their service.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to muzzlet
We had a mouse in the basement once. To show how truly fat and lazy my cat is, I found the droppings in THE CAT'S FOOD BOWL!!! I'm pretty sure there was a mouse newsletter going around the neighborhood saying: "Come to this house, there's a fat ole cat who will share her food with you!!"
Anyways, I used the D-Con "No See No Touch" traps. They look like plastic hockey pucks and they did the job right quick. No muss, no fuss and mousie died instantly. I know because I heard the trap snap, went downstairs, and there was not a sound coming from it. Chucked it into the trash and never had another problem.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #48
Head Chef

NOTE - SHOW THIS STORY TO YOUR MESSY TEENS!

As a teenager my room was often messy.. like, REALLY messy. I had enough clothes to not wash for over a month, if you get my drift. And I ate in my room, too.

One day I was sitting at my desk playing a game and my cat starts running around like crazy. I freak out and realize there is a mouse living in my room, but I can't find it. The cat loses track of it and leaves.

The next day, same thing. Except the cat wouldn't keep her nose off a pile of clothes in the corner. I take it as a hint to give my room a thorough cleaning and discover the carcass of a mouse.. finally I knew that the smell wasn't from my clothes.. it was from a dead mouse... IN my clothes.

That was the worst experience ever. My room never got that messy again.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
NOTE - SHOW THIS STORY TO YOUR MESSY TEENS!

As a teenager my room was often messy.. like, REALLY messy. I had enough clothes to not wash for over a month, if you get my drift. And I ate in my room, too.

One day I was sitting at my desk playing a game and my cat starts running around like crazy. I freak out and realize there is a mouse living in my room, but I can't find it. The cat loses track of it and leaves.

The next day, same thing. Except the cat wouldn't keep her nose off a pile of clothes in the corner. I take it as a hint to give my room a thorough cleaning and discover the carcass of a mouse.. finally I knew that the smell wasn't from my clothes.. it was from a dead mouse... IN my clothes.

That was the worst experience ever. My room never got that messy again.
Soooooo....... you're saying I should stop tossing my dirty clothes under the sink with the potatoes?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlet View Post
We had a mouse in the basement once. To show how truly fat and lazy my cat is, I found the droppings in THE CAT'S FOOD BOWL!!! I'm pretty sure there was a mouse newsletter going around the neighborhood saying: "Come to this house, there's a fat ole cat who will share her food with you!!"
Anyways, I used the D-Con "No See No Touch" traps. They look like plastic hockey pucks and they did the job right quick. No muss, no fuss and mousie died instantly. I know because I heard the trap snap, went downstairs, and there was not a sound coming from it. Chucked it into the trash and never had another problem.
This is too funny! But I have a very fat cat who will only catch mice when he feels like playing with them. It's funny, the best mouser I've ever had was a handicapped cat. She was a 3-legged, one-eyed cat. She was amazing and when she caught one, she would leave it on the floor in front of my bedroom door as a gift!