Thick? Or thin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Himself and I have philosophical differences when it comes to many things, one of them being the thickness of food items. I like a thick slab of bread when I make toast. I want the outside crisp but the inside to stay soft and pillowy. He'd rather have two thinner slices. When it comes to sandwich meats, whether deli or from leftover slab-o-meats, he likes it thick while I'd rather have several wafer thin slices. At least we agree on a thick slice of pie or cake. :LOL: Reluctantly, we agree it's better for us to go thin when it comes to desserts.

What foods do you like thick? Or thin? And do you have major differences over that with your loved ones and friends?

Coldcuts - thin
Bread - Normal thickness for sandwiches, I don't eat toast but would go with normal.
Desserts - Let's just say I don't look like I do because I choose thin slices.
Roast Beef - Thick slabs
Roast Turkey - I like my turkey slices a little thicker than traditional

I would have to say thin on just about all foods. I am not fond of bread. But when in company, I just can't peel off the top slice of bread, eat the filling and leave the bottom slice. So for sandwiches, I like thick fillings like tomato, chopped lettuce, but thin meats. The only time I really enjoy bread is when it is right out of the oven. Have had many a burnt finger over the years.

My food preferences are so atrocious and picky. Have been since childhood. Today, for my lunch, I was delivered a roast beef sandwich. The slices were slightly thick. Spike wolfed it down. Had they been thin, I most likely would have removed the meat and tossed the roll.

Desserts? No thank you. I am diabetic.

For cold cuts, I prefer roast beast very thin, but I'm not so picky. For ham, I really, really, want it thin.

Oh, bacon, I want it thin. It doesn't crisp up as much as I like if it's thick. Well, I'm not sure if it would deep fried, but I am not about to go to the effort of deep frying my bacon. Also, I find thin bacon is much easier to work with when wrapping ABTs.

Interesting topic there CG

I just asked Poor Husband (I'm calling him this until he's better)
this question and his response was kinda what I thought it would be.

Me: Thick or thin?
PH: For what?
Me: Any sort of food, like pizza, lunchmeats, bread or howz`bout bacon?
PH: I like everything with substance, you know that!
:ermm::rolleyes::LOL:

YOU KNOW IT Andy!! :LOL:
No …
My second response to him was, "What? substance as in ME?" :ROFLMAO:
Ya gotta love `em, right? That's the beauty of a long and
loving marriage, we poke fun at each other, lovingly of course :wub: we really are each other's best friend's :kiss:

I understand. SO and I do a lot of that too.

Steak - thick
Bacon - thick
Deli Meats - thin, but not "shaved" thin
Pizza - thin crust
Bread - normal "sandwich" thickness, although some buttered Texas Toast it good, too.
Burgers - thin, as in smashburgers.
Pork Roll ;) - thin, I stack three or four slices on my sammich.

CD

Pizza.....thin crust
Deli meats....sliced thin, but several layers of it :)
Bread....normal thickness, I guess. If I had to choose it would be thin
Bacon....definitely thin, love it crispy

Can't think of anything else right now. :LOL:
Edited....oh yeah, as Casey mentioned...
Steaks....thick :)

Last edited:
The most important thing is bacon...I want it thick deli style.
I'm not really picky about anything else but bacon.

I am with you on that. I find if I buy thin, I end up cooking two or more slices. Thick cut, only one slice cut in half. Sometimes I only cook up a half slice when it is thick cut.

And I also make sure I check the window on the back of the bacon product. I want to see more meat than fat. Even if I have to go through every package in the meat display.

Thick is the same price as thin. So I am getting more for my money.

Last edited:
I am with you on that. I find if I buy thin, I end up cooking two or more slices. Thick cut, only one slice cut in half. Sometimes I only cook up a half slice when it is thick cut.

And I also make sure I check the window on the back of the bacon product. I want to see more meat than fat. Even if I have to go through every package in the meat display.

Thick is the same price as thin. So I am getting more for my money.

The only thick bacon we buy is in the meat case of of the deli at the grocery.
It's sold by the pound in bulk, and goes on sale often. It's far superior to any packaged bacon imo.
I always pan fry half slices (better pan fit) and it's no problem getting it as crisp as desired by cooking it longer with lower heat and it doesn't fall apart. :pig:

Last edited:
Steak - thick
Bacon - thick
Deli Meats - thin, but not "shaved" thin
Pizza - thin crust
Bread - normal "sandwich" thickness, although some buttered Texas Toast it good, too.
Burgers - thin, as in smashburgers.
Pork Roll ;) - thin, I stack three or four slices on my sammich.

CD

YUM!
We so love our Taylor Pork Roll aka Taylor's Ham,
here at our house, but `cha know...
I can't find it here in the middle of the desert any more!!!
They use to carry it at Sprouts (note to self: email to Sprouts Corp. office to complain about that!! :mad:) and then I remembered that Frys aka Kroegers had that big humongous sized one in the Deli case, but they said that they discontinued that `cuz it wasn't selling, WHAT?!!!
Anyhows … we like ours on the thick-ish side for either sammies or as a breakfast meat.

YUM!
We so love our Taylor Pork Roll aka Taylor's Ham,
here at our house, but `cha know...
I can't find it here in the middle of the desert any more!!!
They use to carry it at Sprouts (note to self: email to Sprouts Corp. office to complain about that!! :mad:) and then I remembered that Frys aka Kroegers had that big humongous sized one in the Deli case, but they said that they discontinued that `cuz it wasn't selling, WHAT?!!!
Anyhows … we like ours on the thick-ish side for either sammies or as a breakfast meat.

008.JPG

004.JPG

I was looking for these pix :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom