Things My Father Taught Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
I liked this, thought I would share. Feel free to add to the list!

best of craigslist : Things my father taught me

The measurement of my finger from the tip to the first joint is 1 inch...depth for planting peas.
The measurement to the second joint is 2 inches...depth for corn.
Return borrowed things in better shape than when you borrowed them.
There are two types of trouble...one is the trouble you knowingly walk into, the other is trouble that just happens...it's important to know the difference.
Walk softly but carry a big stick.
if you have to use said stick, make sure who you use it on, doesn't get up.
Grits is good.
Foul language is a sign of a limited vocabulary
Orion, the Big and Little Dippers.
Everyone is a friend until proven otherwise.
Licorice ferns, huckleberries, nettles, sword ferns.
Tabasco won't kill you even if you eat it by the spoonfull.
Don't watch the clock when you're at work.
Fish can see you if you look over the side of the boat.
Fish can hear you if you talk to loud.
Respect the elders.
Never go to bed angry.
That which does not kill you will hurt like the dickens, but it will make you stronger.
Family is the most important thing on earth.
How to play the guitar, spoons, mouth harp, and water filled bottles.
The true meaning of "Self Made Man"
If you don't know something, go to the library and learn it.
The phrases "I don't know", "I forgot", or "I tried (and failed)" are excuses.
There is a difference between an excuse and a reason, know the difference.
Take care of your appearance...even if it is just a t-shirt and jeans.
The world can change everything about you, except your point of view...unless you allow it to.

David L. McDonald
born 1936-passed 2008
precious father
beloved husband
A right good fellow.

Don't start something you can't finish

Let your conscious be your guide....he always said this....as a teenage mine was off more than on....:LOL:

eyes always open.......which meant to always be aware of your surroundings so there were no surprises and if there were then you would be ready for them.

Righty Tighty...turn the screw/bolt to the right to tighten - Lefty Loosy....turn the screw/bolt to the left to loosen.

If your gonna punch someone or something keep your thumb out and not tucked under your fingers or you'll break your thumb.

If your car goes off the edge of the road wait until the gravel and pavement are pretty much even or even till you try to get back onto the pavement.

No drinking till after noon ;)

If you get a sliver of metal under your skin use a magnet tucked into a sock to help draw it to the surface.

Many many more things but these are a few

if it's broken, ask Dad to fix it, & he'll teach you how.
with pride.

My dad (he was a baseball coach) taught me to throw like a boy.
He also taught me that everybody, no matter how bad they may seem, has something about them that is good. And he believed it.

- That you can talk to God anywhere, especially on a walk in the woods.

- That we're all the same color on the inside. He was a physician and I heard him tell that to a mouthy circulating nurse as he was performing a minor surgery.

He said "A woman with too much time on her hands will get into trouble." Hmmmm, there is probably a good story there, but I'll never get to hear it.
He taught me to do push-ups (he was a military man). He told me I was the prettiest little girl in the world, and I believed him for a long time (well, at least until I hit my teen years).

I've had my fair share of hard knocks in life, balanced by the fact that I'm blessed to have both of my parents, married and devoted to each other. My Dad will be 78 this Fall and he is my hero. He is extremely intelligent and has achieved much in his life, yet he is a humble, non judgemental and a patient man with exceptional integrity. His example is my compass.

there's no atheists in foxholes.

your family is all you really have.

you can never have enough bass. :cool:

i'm my father's son (initially daddy's boy), so act like it.

26 + 6 = 1

keep your eye on the skyline, your nose in the wind, and watch your top knot.

my dad still ends every phone conversation with that last line.

there's no atheists in foxholes.

your family is all you really have.

you can never have enough bass. :cool:

i'm my father's son (initially daddy's boy), so act like it.

26 + 6 = 1

keep your eye on the skyline, your nose in the wind, and watch your top knot.

my dad still ends every phone conversation with that last line.

explain please :huh::ermm:
26 + 6 = 1

"YOU CAN'T HAVE THE INDIAN WITHOUT THE BUFFALO"

Took me many years to realize that the indian and the buffalo were the two sides of the nickel, and that his point was that without heads, you can't have tails, without up, there is no down, in--out, yang--yin.........you get the idea.

Wow, you guys had some real "Leave it to Beaver" upbringing.

I grew up in the old Villard region of Milwaukee. But you know, I'm not sure my Dad understood that kids believe everything.

My Dad would always say something like, "Never kick a man when he's down, a bullet is more reliable."

Dad always told me to work hard for what I wanted, and if anybody tried to give you something, watch your back....

OMG, zillions of things!

Whenever I went out on a date, to a party, to a dance, my father would say, "Have fun. I expect you to conduct yourself with decorum". I knew what he meant.

Whenever anyone said something like "Hand me the tongs", he'd say, "The what?", to get the word "tongs" repeated. Then he'd say, "You're welcome". This also applied to the words "tanks", "thongs" and others, and I fell for it EVERY TIME until I was in my mid-20's. Now I do it to everyone, and cackle stupidly like Dad still does. :LOL:

Oh, and he was a big fan of "Pull my finger" :rolleyes:

Dad's 77 and, knock on wood, in excellent health! He's a peach!

Lee

:) Two things I will never forget
"I don't care if you have a nickle or a million dollars, tell every one your broke because if the wrong person finds out what you have they will try and get it from you.
" Whether your married or have a boyfriend always have the bank account he knows about and a secret bank account he doesn't know about so if things get bad you have bus money to get out of town" that one always makes me laugh but there is some truth in that. He grew up during the depression he passed on in 1996. :(:(

Here's what my dad REALLY taught me:

Everyone has faults...

Everyone has good qualities...sometimes you just have to look for them...

Who are we to condemn another just because he is not like us?

My dad is the best man I ever knew...and everyone who ever knew him says the same thing.

my pop taught me to always tell the truth. he taught me to listen well and then make a decision. he taught me what love really means (he was my step father. i was seven when we met. he was truly my pop and really wanted the very best for my sister and i.

he taught me a sense of duty, never left my mothers sick bed.

i miss him a lot. we would talk about books and government . and history. he loved nature , birds, gardening and restoring his property back to 100 years before he bought.

he was a quiet man , but you always knew he had your back. i miss him.

babe

My dad taught me the names of various butterflies and native-to-Utah plants and birds.

He taught me how to plant a garden and the importance of it.

He taught me that I was worth something.

He taught me how to learn and discover.

He taught me how to teach--and I became a school teacher like him.

He taught me to always put God first.

He taught me how to treat my husband.

He taught me to stand up for what I believe no matter what anyone else said or did.

He taught me that spiders aren't really that scary.

He taught me how to be frugal.

My dad is awesome and most of his teaching was done by example. Thanks for starting this thread!

Back
Top Bottom