"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #111
Master Chef

I'll be there with some good Georgian wine from over here.......:):):)

Old 09-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #112
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Sounds good to me!

Barbara

Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #113
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
Well, there are lots of things that I hear that irritate me a little, but I don't let them bother me that much. I am from Washington and being here on Long Island I do notice that people say Wa(r)shington, though I don't correct them and it seems to be a general assumption that when I say I'm from Washington they automatically think DC. And I hear Auragone, not Oregon - I think the Aura is not gone! :-) I don't use abbreviations when I talk OR when I type, I've just never really cared for them at all. I'm sure my grammar is not technically "proper" all the time, but it works.

I never baby talked my kids when they were younger, I taught them the correct words for things and even starting at a few years of age my girls would be confused when someone would use a "baby" word on them, they didn't understand.

It is interesting to listen to the way people talk here as opposed to the West Coast - generally speaking anyway. I know there are transplants all over the place, such as me and my girls :-). Some people here have a heavier NY accent than others and when they start talking faster I have to really pay attention to understand. People here ALWAYS ask where I'm from, I tell them the Seattle area and they say "Oh, I could tell, you're way too nice to be a New Yorker". I say thank you and tell them that everyone has the ability to be nice, it's not about where we are from.

And when they say that they know I'm not from around here because of my "accent", I tell them NO, I don't have an accent - THEY do! I just speak the words clearly. haha. (just joking with them) My youngest daughter Megan said "Uh-uh Mom, EVERYONE has an accent!!! :-)
Old 09-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #114
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I finally conceded that English was a hard language wasn't it?

It still is.

......but if you ask my personal opinion then that's a different matter........:):):)
Okay here is today's grammer lesson 101 - Your "personal" opinion is redundant. If it's yours, it's personal. Aint' this fun? I'm loving readng all the things posters have to say.
Seems that a lot of phrases I use bug some people.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #115
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well, since we're hitting on phonetics, I'd like to know why jaguar, jag-wahr, came to be pronounced jag-wire. There's a woman on ESPN who is new on TV and she pronounces it jag-wire. It just doesn't sound right, not that it actually bugs me.
My friend has "mammiograms." But it doesn't bother me. I wish I owned a jagwire.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #116
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well, since we're hitting on phonetics, I'd like to know why jaguar, jag-wahr, came to be pronounced jag-wire. There's a woman on ESPN who is new on TV and she pronounces it jag-wire. It just doesn't sound right, not that it actually bugs me.
I've heard it pronounced jag-oo-are which sounds just as bad in my opinion
Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #117
Master Chef

Words and people make the world go round........the hardest thing I ever had to do as a "colonist" was to interpret a group of my Scott friends........I never listened so hard in my life.......and I'm pleased to say that I made out about a third of it......I love the way they talk.............and that late late night show host who is in the US (can't think of his name right now) is really funny........believe me, he's really slowing the lingo down so that you can understand him.........well, that's my opinion, anyway

I wished that I owned a jagwire, too.......:):):)
Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #118
Executive Chef

I think I'd probably drive everyone crazy! My speech is positively littered with colloquialisms (as is ya'll hadn't noticed!) And if you actually heard me...... well, let's just say I have a slight southern accent.

But I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I think the phases and pronunciations that are unique to different areas are fascinating. Sometimes, they make no sense at all til a "local" gives you the back story, which is often as amusing as the phrase!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #119
Master Chef

y'all is as a part of me as breathing.......I don't have an accent otherwise.....people are always asking me where I'm from and when I tell them they are shocked "but you don't have an accent"........no, but you will hear "y'all" in every other I sentence.............I know that it bugs other people because they have told me so......too bad......I'm not changing for you or anyone else.....deal with it :)
Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #120
Sous Chef

wow 12 pages so far on this.

I didnt read them all but

any thing out of a policitians mouth
almost all slang that is over used but my top top top top

is

Preggers!!