Things people say that bug you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, this could be my favorite non-food related thread of all! Although, reading it may cause my blood pressure to sky-rocket.

I have a long list of things that people say that I hate, but have never actually written down the list, so I won't remember them all at once. I agree with hating pretty much everything others have posted thus far. :mad:

Hackneyed expressions, such as "At the end of the day" and "It is what it is" and "It's all good", top my list.

"Went missing", as in "The child went missing at 5:00 last night" drives me crazy. And newscasters say it all the time.

I hate the reply "whatever", when used to dismiss what I've just said.

A neighbor, one I dislike, says "irregardless" and it irritates me. Another neighbor, one I like very much, says "supposably" and I think it's cute.

Lee

Oh, this could be my favorite non-food related thread of all! Although, reading it may cause my blood pressure to sky-rocket.

I have a long list of things that people say that I hate, but have never actually written down the list, so I won't remember them all at once. I agree with hating pretty much everything others have posted thus far. :mad:

Hackneyed expressions, such as "At the end of the day" and "It is what it is" and "It's all good", top my list.

"Went missing", as in "The child went missing at 5:00 last night" drives me crazy. And newscasters say it all the time.

I hate the reply "whatever", when used to dismiss what I've just said.

A neighbor, one I dislike, says "irregardless" and it irritates me. Another neighbor, one I like very much, says "supposably" and I think it's cute.

Lee

LOL, I knew you'd post here! :LOL:

Not so much anything people say.... but...
I cant' stand misplaced' apostrophe's.
:)

Last edited:
LOL I caught that too.
How many people will it take to point out I'm an idiot???
sorry.

I hate the negative agreement.
Such as "you are absolutely right BUT.... "

And the popular use of "BE" "He be going to the movie"....

And could you care less, or couldn't you care less?

And the new shortening of words by adding "y" to the end. Like APPY for appetizer
or NAV-Y for a GPS unit in a car..
I am not much for "cutsie" words like that.

And I could go on and on and on. Poor grammer and speling and speeking just bugs
me to know end.

I hate the negative agreement.
Such as "you are absolutely right BUT.... "

And the popular use of "BE" "He be going to the movie"....

And could you care less, or couldn't you care less?

And the new shortening of words by adding "y" to the end. Like APPY for appetizer
or NAV-Y for a GPS unit in a car..
I am not much for "cutsie" words like that.

And I could go on and on and on. Poor grammer and speling and speeking just bugs
me to know end.

OOhhh, I gotta go with you on all of these. My son's girlfriend used to talk about ordering Veal Parm and I wanted to smack her. How about e-mail addy for address?
Are we too lazy to say the whole word?
Here's another one, when did the comparatives and superlatives stop being used? Emeril says this is "more easy" or "more dry" and last night a newscaster actually said, "this is the most heavier." I wanted to choke.

I feel your pain. I was an English minor in college.

Lots of people use the word "orientated" when they mean 'oriented.' I'm getting better with dangling participles, but they still grate upon the ear I was given.
That one has always bugged me too, as James says it all the time. So when I mentioned this post to him he insisted that I look it up. Well, apparently enough people say it that way that it is now in the dictionary (I looked it up in the Encarta dictionary) both ways. or·i·en·tate

or·i·en·tate [áwree ən tàyt]
(past or·i·en·tat·ed, past participle or·i·en·tat·ed, present participle or·i·en·tat·ing, 3rd person present singular or·i·en·tates)
vt
orient: to orient or be oriented

[Mid-19th century. Back-formation from orientation .]

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004. © 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
:huh:Barbara

"you know"

you know the one that really bugs me is the constant insert of "you know" no i do not know, that is why i am asking you, you know.

when i watch people on tv if they insert it after every sentence, i get involved with listening for it, you know, and don't listen to what the person is really saying, you know.:cool: lol

When you're learning to interpret what someone else is saying, you have to try to understand what they MEAN not necessarily what they SAY. But English has many words and phrases that can mean several different things and it is up to the interpreter to figure out which is meant. example : EYE DROPS OFF SHELF did an eye fall off the shelf it was sitting on or were medicated eye drops removed from store shelves?

Yes I know they are going to commercial. All they have to to do to make me happy would to leave out the "but first". They are listing upcoming segments then redirect you to the first of the list by using that phrase.

I'm not sure this thread was a good idea. lol
I think some toes are going to get stepped on. I deleted mine after thinking on that.

"I'm going to unthaw the turkey for Sunday dinner...."
Um, you mean re-freeze?
That one makes me batty.

I'm not sure this thread was a good idea. lol
I think some toes are going to get stepped on. I deleted mine after thinking on that.

I was thinking along the same lines..... a thread to point out others grammatical errors? :ermm: That's what it amounts to.

So I won't say my biggest peeve, because I hear it all the time and have read it here a few times.
I will say that reading the words; appy, addy or prolly don't bother me as much as they used to because they seem to have become accepted abreviations when typing. Now hearing them might grate a bit ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how NAV-Y is short for GPS :huh: An abbreviation for an abbeviation that contains more characters? That does not make sense to me, errr I mean makes no sense, err, doesn't make no sense :ohmy:
:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom