"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My daughter would drive you CRAZY!
But kids don't count. Otherwise I would've been crazy from my own daughter already.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

OK she gets a pass for another 14 years

Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #43
Sous Chef

When people use the word "anti-social" when they really mean "asocial". Anti-social is when people actually perform acts against society, like gun rampages through malls and universities. Asocial just means they don't like to get out in big groups or associate with a lot of people.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #44
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
When people use the word "anti-social" when they really mean "asocial". Anti-social is when people actually perform acts against society, like gun rampages through malls and universities. Asocial just means they don't like to get out in big groups or associate with a lot of people.
I did not know that. See this thread has had a positive influence after all.

I can't believe no one has mentioned their, there, they're or two and too. What about your and you're?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post

That's interesting, considering that Merriam-Webster lists "antisocial" as one of the definitions for "asocial":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/asocial
Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That does not make sense to me, errr I mean makes no sense, err, doesn't make no sense

Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #47
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...I can't believe no one has mentioned their, there, they're or two and too. What about your and you're?
You left out "to." LOL I had a teacher in high school (one of my favorites) who gave an automatic F to anyone who used the wrong form of to, too, or two, their, there, or they're, or spelled "a lot" as one word. He only did that with his Advanced English classes.

One that a lot of people seem to have trouble with is "its" and "it's," since we are used to adding an apostrophe to most possessives. "It's" is a contraction for "it is." So if you were speaking about a dog in the following sentence, it would be written, "It's chasing its tail." If you're not sure when to use "it's," subsitute the words "it is," and if it doesn't work, leave the apostrophe out.

Barbara
Old 09-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i hate when people call 'pop' 'soda'.
Really? That's weird because I grew up in a 'pop' region of the country but now it sounds so foreign and strange when I hear it. Hmmm... so it's not really poor grammar. It's just a regional difference.

I agree with most I've heard here, so I might just add 'ditto'. I would like to add that many people do not know about adverbs. I don't know how many times, while watching TV, my girlfriend and I will look at each other and both say "lee". It's surprising to us how many people will just leave off the -ly.

Drive careful.

("lee")
Old 09-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #49
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z View Post
Really? That's weird because I grew up in a 'pop' region of the country but now it sounds so foreign and strange when I hear it. Hmmm... so it's not really poor grammar. It's just a regional difference.

I agree with most I've heard here, so I might just add 'ditto'. I would like to add that many people do not know about adverbs. I don't know how many times, while watching TV, my girlfriend and I will look at each other and both say "lee". It's surprising to us how many people will just leave off the -ly.

Drive careful.

("lee")
Although it kind of turned into a grammar thread, the original question was things that people say that bother us, so it could be grammar or regional differences.

I agree with the adverb thing, even though I am sometimes guilty of that, but very rarely. For instance, sometime I will say, "Get well quick," where if I were writing it I would use it correctly.

Sometimes proper grammar can sound stuffy in ordinary conversations. For instance, it would be proper to say, "Everyone had his coat on," but most of us would say, "Everyone had their coats on." Ungrammatical, since it mixes singular and plural, but less stuffy sounding.

Barbara
Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #50
Head Chef

My grammar is terrible. It's not that I don't try (like the double negative?)
I'm just not smart in that area of study.

My pet peeves are: when someone says 'puters', for computers.
When someone says 'you are both on the same page' when we really aren't in the same book or even the same library.

I tried to get a job as:

but failed, ya know, I seen it coming.