"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #51
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I LOVE that badge!

Barbara

Old 09-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Although it kind of turned into a grammar thread, the original question was things that people say that bother us, so it could be grammar or regional differences.

I agree with the adverb thing, even though I am sometimes guilty of that, but very rarely. For instance, sometime I will say, "Get well quick," where if I were writing it I would use it correctly.

Sometimes proper grammar can sound stuffy in ordinary conversations. For instance, it would be proper to say, "Everyone had his coat on," but most of us would say, "Everyone had their coats on." Ungrammatical, since it mixes singular and plural, but less stuffy sounding.

Barbara
Interesting. I would have thought the second phrase was correct because "their" encompasses both sexes. Or would you then need to say, "Everyone had his and her coats on"? Or, "his or her coat on?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #53
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I was taught to just use "his" for a mixed group, or if you didn't know. But I tend to use "his or her" in this PC world we live in! LOL

Barbara
Old 09-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post

That's interesting, considering that Merriam-Webster lists "antisocial" as one of the definitions for "asocial":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/asocial
Ah, that's funny. Way to confuse me, Webster. Although, I guess you could be anti-social and asocial, or vice versa.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #55
Master Chef

Some of the things here are examples of regional differences and the difference between "proper" English and "common" English. One thing I learned is that many of our grammar rules apply to the written word but are rarely enforced in the spoken word. That's one way we can tell a read speech from an "off the cuff" speech. We all misuse words everyday and it is just the way we do things. I didn't want to offend folks. I was just letting off steam since I am home alone today.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #56
Sous Chef

A lot of you are talking about grammer. Don't even get me going about that...

What I can't stand is something people say at work. I've never heard this before I started there. When you come in in the morning people say, "Hey Jen, you alright?" Huh?!? Uh.. ya, do I look not alright? And yes, this is not when a person looks like they are not aright, just a general greeting question... Oh well...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #57
Chief Eating Officer

I hate when people say WaRshington instead of Washington.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Some of the things here are examples of regional differences and the difference between "proper" English and "common" English. One thing I learned is that many of our grammar rules apply to the written word but are rarely enforced in the spoken word. That's one way we can tell a read speech from an "off the cuff" speech. We all misuse words everyday and it is just the way we do things. I didn't want to offend folks. I was just letting off steam since I am home alone today.
Well just know that this thread never would have started if you watched Good Morning America.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I hate when people say WaRshington instead of Washington.
ha, ha... stay away from Pittsburgh then
Old 09-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #60
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
My absolute pet peeve is when you are trying to have a conversation and someone cuts your sentence off and hijacks the conversation in another direction. If you don't want to hear what I have to say, don't ask! I won't be offended, I promise.

I understand most of the "modern" short cuts and I think a lot of them come from the limit to the number of characters that can be sent in a text message. IMO, they have a place and there are times when they should not be used.

The only "short word" that upsets me is congrats. Congratulations is recognition for achievement. If I pay a compliment, or receive one, I would prefer the whole magilla.

I am thankful to GB for saying enough to get me to try Firefox, I am not a good at spelling and I appreciate the spell checker. I miss it at work. Since I am "in the business". I feel that I have to use what my customers use so that I can better help them. I also hate Outlook. I try hard with my grammar and don't mind constructive criticism