Things people say that bug you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here's one for the books:
The friend I mentioned in an earlier post who says "mammiogram" had one a few days ago. She has breast cancer. So called it what you will, pronounce it any way you want but GET ONE! She is diligent, has one every year and they caught it while it was a very small tumor.

How bout things you say to bug others?? LOL. I had a couple of good ones, like "You could find the cloud in any silver lining!"

or the burns are beaning........said that once when the pan was on fire......literally :)
Ah, Spoonerisms! I am constantly doing that! One of the ones I say the most is that I need to "check the cash" instead of "cash the check!" One of my favorite Spoonerisms was by some guy doing the weather (years ago on radio, I think). It was really foggy and he said that the fog was "as thick as sea poop" instead of "as thick as pea soup!"

:)Barbara

Ah, Spoonerisms! I am constantly doing that! One of the ones I say the most is that I need to "check the cash" instead of "cash the check!" One of my favorite Spoonerisms was by some guy doing the weather (years ago on radio, I think). It was really foggy and he said that the fog was "as thick as sea poop" instead of "as thick as pea soup!"

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

My husband said this once and now I can't stop saying it. I have two friends - Ann and Sandra. He asked if San and Andra were coming over and now I say San and Andra - it drives me nuts. I don't mean to but the seed was planted and it's flourishing!

I lived with some people for a while when I was 15 and their names were Chuck and Jackie, I always called them Jack and Chuckie - started as an accident and then it just stuck. Thankfully they didn't mind. :)

I do too Debs! The name comes from William Spooner: Spoonerism - Definition and Examples of Spoonerism - Slips of the Tongue. Lately it seems to take all my effort to put a few sentences together (when speaking) without twisting my sentences all up! When we met a few DCers I was really bad about that! I think that is because when I am nervous or excited, I tend to speak even faster than the machine-gun rapid speech I normally use! I'm really bad at reading aloud too because my brain tends to move on before my mouth is done, and I end up adding words from a line or two ahead to the line I am reading!

P.S. Wow, a lot of people sure jumped in while I took my sweet time typing! LOL

Last edited:
and Kitchenelf if they do something wrong it's a SanAndra"s fault.........sorry it was so out there......couldn't resist........kill me.....I don't blame you.....:):):)

OMG - I can't believe you thought of that! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That was too good - I'll probably wake up in the middle of the night and laugh about that one!

Something that really got my dander up was when we visited Hawaii and my Sister in Law (whom I love) has developed a habit of saying "yea yea yea" as I'm talking. I was so offended at first I didn't know how to react - it's been quite a while since I've seen her in person I was just sort of shocked even at how offended I was! It seems lots of people in Hawaii speak that way - where I would say Uh Huh to encoucrage the other person in the converssation to go ahead or just nod - they say Yeah Yeah....now I've noticed others stateside doing the same thing....is it just me or are others offended by this as well...am I overly sheltered????:ermm:

yeah, yeah, yeah, and what is your point? Seriously, lindatoo, I know what you're talking about.........you feel like you are being rushed to say something because they are in such a hurry to get away.......don't let that intimidate you.......slow down your speech on purpose and say something if you have to..........um, do you have someplace you need to be???? let me know and I'll let you go.......tends to get their attention.....hey, when people are being rude you may be the only one who is their teacher.......rattle their cages........

Something that really got my dander up was when we visited Hawaii and my Sister in Law (whom I love) has developed a habit of saying "yea yea yea" as I'm talking. I was so offended at first I didn't know how to react - it's been quite a while since I've seen her in person I was just sort of shocked even at how offended I was! It seems lots of people in Hawaii speak that way - where I would say Uh Huh to encoucrage the other person in the converssation to go ahead or just nod - they say Yeah Yeah....now I've noticed others stateside doing the same thing....is it just me or are others offended by this as well...am I overly sheltered????:ermm:
I would feel that the person wasn't really interested in what I was saying and was trying to hurry me through it. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom