"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #81
Master Chef

I just finished my homework. We had to watch a video of a teacher signing in class and speak what was signed. Then we had to type it up and email it to the rest of the class. I had to read everyone else's and critique their word choices. Whew! That was a chore. It was interesting to see how each of us got a little different take on a particular part of the presentation. The word variety was interesting as well. So you can see what I spend my time doing and why things can start to bug me!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 AM   #82
Master Chef

I hate it when I say "to make a long story short" cause I have no intention of doing so----it's going to be long-winded--------I've tried to cure myself of it but it's difficult and I cringe everytime I say it........what's disconcerting is when I infect others with this phrase........:)

Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I hate it when I say "to make a long story short" cause I have no intention of doing so----it's going to be long-winded--------I've tried to cure myself of it but it's difficult and I cringe everytime I say it........what's disconcerting is when I infect others with this phrase........:)
Anytime I hear someone say that, I just take it as a pause so they can gather their thoughts for "part II" I find it is usually inserted closer to the beginning of the story than the end and have grown accustomed to the term.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #84
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Ooo! Good one, expat! I find when a person says that (I sometimes chime in, Too late!" but they are oblivious and keep going), it's usually in the MIDDLE of a long story.

Which reminds me: it makes me crazy when a customer says (typically while interrupting my waiting on someone else), "I have a quick question". I learned years ago that people who say that do NOT have a quick question. Even if the answer is "yes" or "no", the question-poser will then have a series of follow-up questions. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Lee
Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
At work when they announce "If so and so is still in the store please call extension #..."
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #86
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie View Post
At work when they announce "If so and so is still in the store please call extension #..."

...which begs the question, Which extension should they cal lf they are no longer in the store?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We've had threads like this before - they go south. Now it's starting to get into regional differences in words.

What's funny is, I probably do those things that people HATE!!!!! The only problem is, if it was posted here for me to read so I could change my ways, I don't know I do it - it's habit...albeit a bad habit...but still a habit!

On that note is this thread really going anywhere? Are we now starting to step on toes of some dear friends and members? IMHO, it's gotten pretty picky here. We've had threads like this be closed before. Guess what folks, we're not all perfect and we all didn't get the same education when it came to grammar. Some are betterer than others.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #88
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Im guilty of quite a few things listed here! For example the word orange, I pronounce it as ARErange not ORrange, same with the word Florida. I say ARES instead of OURS, it doesnt mean Im less educated, that was how I was taught in school & almost everyone from where i grew up spoke that way also.
Living here in the south I have come across all different "dialects", yes the people here say "where are my keys AT?" My hubby says "Cut the light off" instead of "turn the light off". IMO hes one of the smartest people I know, so Im not about to judge anyone based on how they speak OR type!

Babymaker
Old 09-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #89
Chief Eating Officer

One that I do that my wife likes to pick on me for is words that have ST at the begining I say as SHT. For instance the work stream I would pronounce as shtream. I did not even know I did that before her and did not even realize I was saying it wrong. That is how my mother says it too. i only found that out after my DW told me about it.

Thankfully she thinks it is cute and not annoying. I guess that is one of the many reasons we were made to be married to each other.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...which begs the question, Which extension should they cal lf they are no longer in the store?

exactly !! Another thing that drives me batty is my aunt and my cousin. Instead of saying wash, they say warsh