Things people say that bug you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the negative agreement.
Such as "you are absolutely right BUT.... "

And the popular use of "BE" "He be going to the movie"....

And could you care less, or couldn't you care less?

And the new shortening of words by adding "y" to the end. Like APPY for appetizer
or NAV-Y for a GPS unit in a car..
I am not much for "cutsie" words like that.

And I could go on and on and on. Poor grammer and speling and speeking just bugs
me to know end.

:LOL: How about a sammich or sammy?

And furthermore, "Yeah Right" is coming out of my ears.

BUT, wait. There's more. When people can't apologize, they say "I'm sorry YOU FEEL that way".

sorry, surrounded by kids all day, I can't help that the cute rubs off on me....
and yes they all speak very well.

now I see why this thread was a bad idea.

When just about anything comes out of my ex's mouth!

:ohmy:

Thought of another. When a host or hostess at a resturant asks "Will there be two for dinner"? Well, there are only two of us standing in front of him/her. I whispered to my friend, "No. There are 37. The rest are getting out of their cars."

Thought of another. When a host or hostess at a resturant asks "Will there be two for dinner"? Well, there are only two of us standing in front of him/her. I whispered to my friend, "No. There are 37. The rest are getting out of their cars."
I don't understand this one. 37 more would be a bit ridiculous, but it would be perfectly reasonable to think there might be 2 more getting out of the car, or maybe another couple is meeting you at the restaurant or any number of other situations where not ever member of the party shows up at the same exact moment.

BUT, what if, you were meeting someone and you wanted to go ahead and get the table and noone asked you? They would put you at a table for two when you have 2 other couples coming to join you.;)

you beat me GB!! LOL

Last edited:

or, a polite way to say, "is there anyone else coming to seat at your table in a little while?

LOL - jabbur, what you are complaining about is called a "teaser" in the trade. They "tease" you with some story that you might be interested in ... to keep you watching both the show and the commercials. And, what is "coming up" might not show up for 30-minutes! And, with the media moving more and more to the Internet ... I really get ticked when they finally get to the story and only give it 15-seconds and say, "for the full story or for more information check out our website at ...."

I also hate "bugs" ... where you are trying to watch TV and the network thinks they have to put some inane logo on the screen so you are constantly reminded of what network/channel you are watching! It really bugs me when there is text on the screen and the "bug" covers a portion of it and I can't read it. Really great when you're watching something with subtitles. Ironically - my PBS station is one of the worst offenders!!! I would love to get 5-minutes in a room with the person that came up with this idea!

Ironically - I had something specific in mind before I got to venting ... now I can't remember what it was! :mad:

I hate when people say WaRshington instead of Washington.

That one is okay since it's a regional accent thing. My name is Gloria but people from the East Coast call me Glorier. That's just the way they talk and that's not a problem for me. But call me Glo and I'll bean you. ;)

As for this thread, I think it's very interesting what bugs people and most of them are right on. Maybe we can learn that what we are saying just ain' right.

I don't understand this one. 37 more would be a bit ridiculous, but it would be perfectly reasonable to think there might be 2 more getting out of the car, or maybe another couple is meeting you at the restaurant or any number of other situations where not ever member of the party shows up at the same exact moment.

It was intended to be ridiculous, as the reservation was for two. The Hostess should have a list!

Then there's that expression "Beating a dead horse". The horse is already dead. Why bother.

ETA: GB, thought it was a given. :-p

Hey some things bug you'all, & don't bother me.

Apparently my editing does.

It was intended to be ridiculous, as the reservation was for two. The Hostess should have a list!

Then there's that expression "Beating a dead horse". The horse is already dead.
It would have helped if you mentioned that you had a reservation. I turn my ESP off at night so I had no way of knowing that is what you were getting at :-p

The hostess has no way of knowing whether you will be meeting others at your table, as we often do, or someone else may be parking the car so she is correct in asking "will there be two for dinner."

It's all a plot by some unseen space alien, trying to make sure we never leave where we live. If we are irked enough by other's regional differences, we will stay put, making us more vulnerable to attack!:alien:

:w00t2:Barbara

nah. you'd just lend us a reason to grin, instead!!!
i love regional differences- so neat how we share language differences, understand others, without studying or stuff.
we interprt more often correctly than not.

I knew I would remember it: Tens-of-Thousands - or - Tens-of-Hundreds

Many times - the tens is only one tens plus change.

I have no problem with regional dialects. In fact - I get a kick out of some of them ... like when Emeril says STIR .... it comes out sounding like STEAR.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the various dialects and regional sayings all through the world! One of my favorite classes in college was Linguistics, for that reason. I think language is fascinating.

:)Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom