Things people say that bug you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished my homework. We had to watch a video of a teacher signing in class and speak what was signed. Then we had to type it up and email it to the rest of the class. I had to read everyone else's and critique their word choices. Whew! That was a chore. It was interesting to see how each of us got a little different take on a particular part of the presentation. The word variety was interesting as well. So you can see what I spend my time doing and why things can start to bug me!

I hate it when I say "to make a long story short" cause I have no intention of doing so----it's going to be long-winded--------I've tried to cure myself of it but it's difficult and I cringe everytime I say it........what's disconcerting is when I infect others with this phrase........:)

I hate it when I say "to make a long story short" cause I have no intention of doing so----it's going to be long-winded--------I've tried to cure myself of it but it's difficult and I cringe everytime I say it........what's disconcerting is when I infect others with this phrase........:)

Anytime I hear someone say that, I just take it as a pause so they can gather their thoughts for "part II" :LOL: I find it is usually inserted closer to the beginning of the story than the end and have grown accustomed to the term.

Ooo! Good one, expat! I find when a person says that (I sometimes chime in, Too late!" but they are oblivious and keep going), it's usually in the MIDDLE of a long story.

Which reminds me: it makes me crazy when a customer says (typically while interrupting my waiting on someone else), "I have a quick question". I learned years ago that people who say that do NOT have a quick question. Even if the answer is "yes" or "no", the question-poser will then have a series of follow-up questions. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :angry:

Lee

We've had threads like this before - they go south. Now it's starting to get into regional differences in words. :ermm:

What's funny is, I probably do those things that people HATE!!!!! The only problem is, if it was posted here for me to read so I could change my ways, I don't know I do it - it's habit...albeit a bad habit...but still a habit!

On that note is this thread really going anywhere? Are we now starting to step on toes of some dear friends and members? IMHO, it's gotten pretty picky here. We've had threads like this be closed before. Guess what folks, we're not all perfect and we all didn't get the same education when it came to grammar. Some are betterer than others. :-p

Im guilty of quite a few things listed here! For example the word orange, I pronounce it as ARErange not ORrange, same with the word Florida. I say ARES instead of OURS, it doesnt mean Im less educated, that was how I was taught in school & almost everyone from where i grew up spoke that way also.
Living here in the south I have come across all different "dialects", yes the people here say "where are my keys AT?" My hubby says "Cut the light off" instead of "turn the light off". IMO hes one of the smartest people I know, so Im not about to judge anyone based on how they speak OR type!

One that I do that my wife likes to pick on me for is words that have ST at the begining I say as SHT. For instance the work stream I would pronounce as shtream. I did not even know I did that before her and did not even realize I was saying it wrong. That is how my mother says it too. i only found that out after my DW told me about it.

Thankfully she thinks it is cute and not annoying. I guess that is one of the many reasons we were made to be married to each other.

My sweetie never says this. He KNOWS his stories are going to be long!

:)Barbara

Anytime I hear someone say that, I just take it as a pause so they can gather their thoughts for "part II" :LOL: I find it is usually inserted closer to the beginning of the story than the end and have grown accustomed to the term.

I have actually heard that phrase and they did make the story short!!! Of course I interrogated further to show my sincere intrest (how do you spell that word!!!) in hearing more about the long story short....

I have actually heard that phrase and they did make the story short!!! Of course I interrogated further to show my sincere intrest (how do you spell that word!!!) in hearing more about the long story short....

interest

"Like he was walking down the street, like in his pajamas, like I could never do that! Like You know? Like oh my GOD!"
GGGGGRRRRRRRR:censored::bangin:

One that I do that my wife likes to pick on me for is words that have ST at the begining I say as SHT. For instance the work stream I would pronounce as shtream. I did not even know I did that before her and did not even realize I was saying it wrong. That is how my mother says it too. i only found that out after my DW told me about it.

Thankfully she thinks it is cute and not annoying. I guess that is one of the many reasons we were made to be married to each other.

What a shweet shtory. :ROFLMAO:

(just a point to consider... with many couples who experience problems later on, points that were at one time 'attractive' or 'cute' become points of annoyance... "that 'sht' has actually been bugging the crud out of me for years!!!")

Well, since we're hitting on phonetics, I'd like to know why jaguar, jag-wahr, came to be pronounced jag-wire. There's a woman on ESPN who is new on TV and she pronounces it jag-wire. It just doesn't sound right, not that it actually bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom